what should it feel like?

Thread: what should it feel like?

what should it feel like?

I received a U1 for Christmas. I have wanted one of these for 7-8 years and finally had a chance to PX my Tag F1 against one.

When I opens the box to set the watch I handwound it about 8-10 turns.
    Now after a couple of days if I put the crown at position 1 to hand wind it, it feels very stiff and cannot be turned.
    It this normal? Does it just mean that it is fully wound?
    What should it feel like when winding?

This is the first automatic movement I have owned which can be hand wound as well, the only hand wound watch I have ever had was when I was five years old and I cannot remember how it felt when winding.

The U1 is gaining exactly 12 seconds per day at present which is not too bad. I will leave it a while then consider having it regulated.
    I am enjoying the watch, the bracelet is not as comfortable as I had hoped as the construction of the hinges in the clasp do not fill the void in the back of the clasp meaning that the clasp edges can dig in a little.

Re: what should it feel like?

You can't over wind an automatic - it will just keep winding and you shouldn't feel any resistance.
    Brad (@bradwatch)
    - appreciating fine affordable watches since 2011

Welcome to the SINN family and to the forum, James! I hope you enjoy your U1 as much as I enjoy mine.

When new, the movement does feel stiff to wind; however, it settles in after a bit of use. I also found the accuracy to settle in after use. Another thing is the position of the watch when not worn. Some watches like the crown down, some like the crown up, some like to be on their backs. You will just have to try different resting positions to find which one works best for your watch.

There is just nothing like looking at your wrist and seeing a beautiful U1 looking back at you. I hope you wear yours in good health for years to come.

Please show us some photos of your new U1. Cheers, Bill P.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I have something to say about Sinn accuracy. I have a 103a sa chronograph that I acquired in a trade 6 years ago. I've never had it serviced and I don't know if the previous owner ever had it serviced. I position the watch crown up when not being worn and it runs a constant +1 to +2 seconds per day. I have to believe the accuracy of your U1 will get better over time and the stiff winding will also improve. Congratulations on the U1. It is a fine time piece and will give you many years of enjoyment.
    Bob.

Ticking away..the moments that make up a dull day.
    Omega 2254.50
    Omega 2531.80
    Rolex Submariner

Thanks for the replys. Am I right in thinking that it may have been easy to wind when fully unwound and harder once fully wound as I am in effect turning the rotor of the auto movement rather than winding the spring? I am not completely sure how it all works.
    I hope the accuracy improves a bit, at least it is fast rather than slow. I never take my watches off, not even when sleeping so perhaps I should try removing it an leaving it crown up/down to equalise the gain during the day.

Happy new year all and all the best for 2015!

I bought a new U1 in August and experienced the exact same thing. I wound it when I first got it (it was completely stopped) about 40 times as it says in the manual. No problems it wound quite easily, and was gaining 5 seconds a day. I didn't wear it for a couple of days and gave it a manual wind to bring the power reserve back up and it was very hard to wind. I sent it back to Sinn in Germany via the dealer, page and Cooper here in the UK, and it came back with a note saying the watch was completely fine, and they appear to have adjusted the timekeeping (it now loses 2 seconds a day). It doesn't feel rough to wind, but stiffens up after about 40 turns. I wear my U1 24/7 so haven't wound it since. So don't worry just enjoy your U1!
    Using Tapatalk

wonder if you have really reached position 1, or are just hungup in-between? This happens occasionally.

congrats on the new watch!

Thread Information