What year was the 656 first introduced?
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By harry_flashman
  • 2 Post By shapz
  • 1 Post By blockiestcurve

Thread: What year was the 656 first introduced?

What year was the 656 first introduced?

Does anyone know the first year that the Sinn 656 was introduced? EDIT - The Sinn 656 was first introduced in 2002.

This version is rated at 10 bar. Does anyone know if Sinn made changes to the 656 design to upgrade it to 20 bar, or if they only did more rigorous testing to realize the 10 bar models held up to 20 bar?

I recently picked up a 656 that was produced in 2002. I immediately sent it off for repair and servicing at RGM because the crown tube was stripped. While I'm eagerly awaiting that process to finish up, I'm reaching out to learn more about the watch.
    Last edited by blockiestcurve; May 30th, 2018 at 15:32.

Re: What year was the 656 first introduced?

Hello, I believe the 656 was discontinued in 2011.

I am not an expert with the 656, but looked in some of my old Wristwatch Annuals (ed. Peter Braun). In the 2003 Wristwatch Annual, it lists the 656 WR at 10 Bar.

Name:  F60F9DF5-E898-4566-BE0A-42A9508DC5DF.jpeg
Views: 128
Size:  2.32 MB

Similarly, the 2006 Wristwatch Annual also lists the specifications for WR at 10 bar.

Name:  0ECD6FCF-AA09-4AE0-AAB1-F668FF25DCA6.jpeg
Views: 122
Size:  2.07 MB

However, when I look at the Sinn’s online archive, the 656 is stated to have a WR of 20 bar.

https://www.sinn.de/en/Modell/656.htm

Of course, there could be an error on the part of Wristwatch Annual, or even Sinn. What is engraved on the back of your 656?

My unscientific hypothesis is as follows. The original 656 was WR to 10 bar. However when Sinn introduced the 556 (late 2007, early 2008), that watch had WR of 20 bar, and was in a case of the similar dimensions. It could be that after Sinn developed the 556, subsequent 656s were made in a bead-blasted 556 case, with the accompanying 20 bar WR?
    blockiestcurve likes this.

Thanks for looking into this.

What is engraved on the back of your 656?
    The 656 I have is rated at 10 bar and its serial is in the 600s (built in 2002). I was aware that the 656 was discontinued (thanks for providing the year at 2011 - though I still wonder when they were first introduced). After the 556 series was introduced the 656 occupied a position in terms of specifications between the 556 and 856, and I suppose the 656 fell out of favor for the entry-level or more-tech laden models.

I think that your hypothesis is sound. I wasn't sure what Sinn may have done to the 656 when the 556 was introduced that would have raised the pressure resistance.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Hi....I had a 656 that I bought new back in 2010 from a UK Sinn dealer. Back then it had a WR rating of 200m so I believe the upgrade happened sometime between 2006 and 2010 (2006 based on what harry_flashman mentioned).

I then gifted the 656 away to a relative and bought the 856 tegimented version. Subsequently sold that after a few years and went the Damasko route.

Recently I was drawn back to this watch and bought a pre-owned 656-S (black PVD) version dated 2010 that also has 200m WR. I have a thing for stealthy looking watches. These are now discontinued but beautiful looking watches and I think the size hits a sweetspot for slim wristed people like me. I work in engineering hence the reason not only for good water resistance but anti-magnetic properties aswell. I have yet to find a robust enough watch with good water resistance AND top antimagnetic properties as the Sinn in such a perfectly sized package.

BTW - big Sinn fan here!
    if it seems too good to be true...it usually is.

In your opinion, how does the Damasko compare to the various Sinns you've owned? I'm looking forward to getting my 656 back - I was a Sinn owner for mere hours before I sent it off to be repaired.

By the way, I emailed Sinn and they said that the 656 was first introduced in 2002.

The Damasko has a bulletproof case in terms of surface hardness in being able to resist scratches and in some cases knocks. I once knocked my Damasko against a 25 Ton crane front bumper while in a construction yard...the metal from the crane abraded off and marked the surface of the Damasko. Back at my desk a good wipe on the Damasko revealed the surface was totally intact and the mark that was made was actually from the crane. The Sinn will not be able to hold up to that kind of abuse

However I found the Damasko to be a little large for my slim wrists (about 6.1-inches). Second - while the Damasko has top case and other technology I feel Sinn have better looking designs/aesthetics and a wider range of models to choose from.

I suggest try both on as you plan to grow your collection. I may sell my Damasko DB2 over the upcoming summer - get in touch if you wish
    if it seems too good to be true...it usually is.

I recently got a 656, serial number less than 500. I contacted Sinn snd asked them for some history. They told me that my watch was first sold in 2001, so was introduced the year before 2002.

Good to know, I stand corrected, thank you! I'm unable to edit my initial post, unfortunately.
    Brettg likes this.

Thread Information