When The Capsule Turns Blue Prematurely.
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: When The Capsule Turns Blue Prematurely.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

When The Capsule Turns Blue Prematurely.

We had debated this before when a member commented that his capsule had turned blue after only a few months. We discussed all sorts of reasons how moisture could have entered the case, but today the Sinn service center provided another plausible explanation for this phenomenon:
    It may not be the watch case or case seals that have failed, it could be the capsule itself.

In my case, the capsule had turned blue in less than a month, while capsules on my other Sinns lasted for 5 years, or more.

Discussing this with the service manager when I picked up the watch again, he mentioned that in my case the capsule itself had failed. The outside of the capsule is covered by a small glass disk and when this disk does not seal properly, moisture enters the capsule from the outside and turns it blue.

Apparently, the inner end of the capsule has a seal that prevents water from penetrating into the case this way, protecting the integrity of inner case and movement.

Interesting thought; all that needed to be done today was check the watch, re-fill the de-humidifying gas and fit a new capsule.

Problem solved - quick and easy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

Bertrand Russell

The Subliminal Orifice of Underlying World

Re: When The Capsule Turns Blue Prematurely.

I assume that would only be true for the models thAt have capsules in the case with the retaining screw (EZM3), right? The ones that have capsules inside the case (U2) should not be affected by such failure.
    There are only two kinds of people in the world, the ones that own Sinn U1, U1W, U2, UX, U212 and U-Unlimited, and ones that don’t.

I am the ruler of the attunement to my inner self.

Quote Originally Posted by polishammer View Post
    I assume that would only be true for the models thAt have capsules in the case with the retaining screw (EZM3), right? The ones that have capsules inside the case (U2) should not be affected by such failure.
    I am not overly familiar with the U2, but for models that have the capsule entirely inside the case; not only would a glass disk that fails to seal the capsule have no impact, but you would also be unable to notice any colour change of the capsule until the case is opened, correct?

Last edited by Kurt Koerfgen; September 20th, 2013 at 08:20. Reason: attempt to clarify

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

Bertrand Russell

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Unfortunately you illustrated one big reason why I haven't pulled the trigger on a Sinn 856 non-UTC.

An absolutely tough case ... with a hole in it to accommodate the capsule, and then cover the opening with a tiny glass disk. I can't think of a better analogy other than the Death Star from "Star Wars."

Completely indestructible except for one long corridor with an opening leading directly to the core. Just left exposed with minimal protection over it. I honestly wish my unfounded trepidation when I first heard of the concept behind the use of the capsule, had not been confirmed.
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity here and there. Not the other way around." ~ John Cleese.

LH2

Like Monocrom above, this capsule is giving me pause on a new 856 non-UTC. It seems like the liability of this feature outweighs the benefit, at an added cost to the customer of course.

So either the seals can fail, or the capsule itself can fail...

Seems like on a new Sinn, the glass disk should never "not seal properly". Wouldn't watch models with capsules visible from the exterior get this QC check before shipping?
    Monocrom likes this.
    Archimede | Damasko | Defakto | Fortis | Glycine | Hamilton | Junghans | Laco | Limes | Oris | Sinn | Stowa | Tutima

you can always have sinn replace the capsule with a threaded plug.

Quote Originally Posted by David Woo View Post
    you can always have sinn replace the capsule with a threaded plug.
    If you own a watch that is likely to be worn everyday and get exposed to moisture or water outright, why not just take it to an independent watchmaker about once a year and have him open it up, check the seals, replace them if necessary, close it up, pressure test it; done.

I'd rather have the wonderfully tough-as-nails case without a hole in it at all. No capsule, no plug. Unfortunately that's not an option.

I mean, some like a power-reserve indicator on their mechanical watches. I don't. But will admit that if done right (basically small, integrated into the dial in a way that doesn't destroy the dial's clean look) it's perfectly fine. Just make sure to wind or shake your watch in the morning for a bit and you'll have built up a decent reserve to be sure your watch doesn't stop during the day. Same thing with protecting a watch from moisture getting inside the case. When you have a moisture indicator that requires compromising the case in order to install it, and then relies on a tiny cover made out of glass to seal that comprised case; it's easy to see that there could be potential problems down the road with more moisture getting inside than it otherwise would due to a seal being improperly applied.
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity here and there. Not the other way around." ~ John Cleese.

Even if the capsule were just "an indicator" then it would probably be an improvement; who would by a car that didn't have a low oil pressure warning light?

However since the capsule also can correct a
    moisture problem it's much more than a simple indicator.

I've learned from experience that when a component fails it's usually the last thing I worked on. Anyone ever fail to fully tighten a screw down crown. The capsule can both warn and correct such a problem.

Here you go guys, this fixes all your problems, no capsules, no mechanical parts, tough as nail, nothing to break. Should have no complains.
    Attached Images Attached Images

There are only two kinds of people in the world, the ones that own Sinn U1, U1W, U2, UX, U212 and U-Unlimited, and ones that don’t.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Koerfgen View Post
    I am not overly familiar with the U2, but for models that have the capsule entirely inside the case; not only would a glass disk that fails to seal the capsule have no impact, but you would also be unable to notice any colour change of the capsule until the case is opened, correct?

absolutely correct, the capsule would turn blue only if moisture on the inside is present as there is no direct access to the capsule from the outside of the case.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information