Would Love Fewer Exhibition Case Backs...
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Would Love Fewer Exhibition Case Backs...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Would Love Fewer Exhibition Case Backs...

Just my personal taste: I can't wait for this trend to subside.

I think a display case back is warranted if the movement is in-house and finished by hand to a high standard of precision and beauty; in other words, if the movement is truly a product of the watchmaker's artistry and part of the price you pay for the watch. That's an achievement worth showing off.

Displaying a lightly-decorated ETA feels insincere by comparison.

Of course, to each her/his own. My wife has a Seiko 5 with a transparent back and really enjoys it. I'm a firm believer in wearing what makes you happy! Just a thought...
    watchhunter72 and Munchie like this.

Re: Would Love Fewer Exhibition Case Backs...

I tend to agree - I know of some who have had Exhibition case backs made to display their watch movement (Vintage Grand Seiko for example).

I think for the most part many lower tier watches are better served with a solid case back. My son likes his Seiko 5 with it’s display back also.
    Dennis Parris likes this.
    Longstride.

Anonimo/Sinn/Kobold/O&W
    CWC/Rolex/MKII/Seiko/Fortis

It is kind of cool to be able see the balance well banging away, but in general i agree. Show me something worthwhile, or don't needlessly compromise the structural, anti-magnetic integrity.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I don't entirely agree.... part of the reason why I love mechanical pieces is because of all the moving parts and spinning gears and wheels within the watch. So it's all the more fun to me when I can actually see them. But that's my opinion....

(Although, of course I agree with you that a highly decorated movement is much prettier than a plain one )
    Dennis Parris and Radharc like this.

Yes please! I am so sick and tired of display backs in general, yet it looks like more and more brands are following this fad. Truth be told, I am maybe even annoyed to see them on Sinn watches, as they are tool watches.
    If that's so cool and a deal-maker for some buyers, then at least they should consider having the option - i.e. full metal caseback or display back, ideally with no price difference. I wish watch brands could understand the ubiquitous see-through caseback could also be a deal-breaker: it's already been for me at least twice, one of which on a Sinn...
    Cheers,
    Fabrizio
    Munchie and Dennis Parris like this.

Duplicate post - deleted one of them.

Once I got over the novelty I prefer a solid case back every time.

I am currently considering a Sinn 556a and one of the "cons" is the exhibition case - probably not going to be a deal breaker but would prefer solid. Especially on this type of (toolish) watch.
    Cheers

M

Current collection: Hamilton Khaki Mechanical H694190, Seiko "Turtle" SBDY015, Seiko Sarb 033, Citizen Diver NY0040-09e, VSA Alliance, Citizen "Ray Mears" BN0118-55E , Casio Edifice EF-503D-1A, Favre Leuba Vintage watch, Lorus field watch RXF41AX7, Pulsar field watch PS9045.
    Gone but not forgotten: Oris Big Crown Propilot, Seiko SKX009, Orient Star Classic, Citizen "Excalibur" BN0100-51E, Citizen NP4020-51A, Citizen BM8180-03E, Citizen BM6400-00e, VSA Officers day date
    Capture and release: Oris BC3, Hamilton Khaki Field, Timefactors Speedbird 3, Citizen World Timer CB0027-51E

I'd rather have a 656 than my current 556 because of the 656 anti-mag properties and the fact that it is marginally (0.5mm) thinner.

I don't mind an exhibition back, but it invevitably impacts other specs I care about more.
    Watches are life. Live to Watch, Watch to Live. Do you even Watch, bro?

Quote Originally Posted by egwatchfan View Post
    I don't entirely agree.... part of the reason why I love mechanical pieces is because of all the moving parts and spinning gears and wheels within the watch. So it's all the more fun to me when I can actually see them. But that's my opinion....

(Although, of course I agree with you that a highly decorated movement is much prettier than a plain one )

I love listening to my watches for the same reason: a heightened sense of the mechanical nature.

Overall, I think it's definitely a good thing that Sinn offers the option. There are clearly folks, like yourself, who appreciate the display and there probably will continue to be.

I wonder if they would be interested in providing a solid case back as an option on watches like the 104 or 556. These designs tread the line between tool and everyday.

I almost exclusively wear nato type straps, and so worry that I’d just scuff up a display back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information