Your opinion on why Sinn watches lose their value

Thread: Your opinion on why Sinn watches lose their value

Your opinion on why Sinn watches lose their value

I just want to see your guys opinion on why they do lose value e.g Sinn U1...............and how their value holding compares to the other make.

Re: Your opinion on why Sinn watches lose their value

Hmmm... actually I think the U series hold their value well, especially for the guys who bought their pieces way before the price increases.

I'm happily holding on to my H4 for sure :)

I'm not sure about others.
    Normally, U1 loses 20 - 30% of it's value.
    Which is not too bad...
    Don't let life discourage you, everyone who got where he is had to start where he was - LAO TZU

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

it depends on where you are. some local distributors have their prices well above the actual German market prices. so you are overpaying upfront.
    also, many Sinn models have been around for a while. In the past , they were a lot less expensive . I've been told a 656 on bracelet was about $400 direct from Sinn. now those watches are hitting the pre-owned market and competing with newer used 656 models, keeping the prices lower.

the sinns are doing very well on the used market. look at ebay for completed listings. If I sold any of my u1's, I'd not lose a dime from what I paid for them.
    same with the ux. now if you surf the different sales forums, your not going to get a accurate price range for used. plenty get dumped at stupid low prices for the quick sale. those are done by guys who are new to buying watches and are in the flipping phase. I put them up at a fair price and let them sit until they sell. they always do. I sell u1's for 1400.00 they sell every time even when someone else is dumping one for 1k.

Most watches lose value (with some notable exeptions) as soon as they are strapped to your wrist, similar to driving a car out of the showroom, if you buy watches for profit, then I suggest Sinn are not the ones to buy, if however, you buy them for quality, looks and value for money, you probably wont have to search much further, clever buyers (of which I am not) would purchase pre owned, therefore missing out the initial depreciation.

Having said the above I have seen a 2 year old Sinn 142ST going for more than the seller paid for it brand new, nothing wrong with that IMHO because he has made potential purchases aware of the fact, and he thinks it is worth more than he paid, good for him I say.
    Last edited by Dave I; July 7th, 2008 at 22:18.
    Best regards

Dave.

Sinns actually hold their value pretty well. I flipped a U1 (on e-bay) a month after I saw the U2 S for sale and only lost $125.00. I wore it everyday until I sold it. Here's another good example: I wanted a Kobold Phantom Ti but I refused to pay the price Kobold is asking (it's nice but not Kobold price nice). I bought one on the forum for a little over 3K and it was only 6 months old in 95%+ condition. That's a big depreciation and Kobold does not give discounts. I did not care for it after 3 days and sold it on e-bay at a profit. The bottom line is I knew I would of received less on the watch forums so I put it on e-bay as Kobolds do better on e-bay like Sinn watches do. IMHO Sinns hold their value as well as most watches. I'm not saying this because I only own Sinn watches, because I don't.

I'd have to agree on Sinn watches holding their value after the initial depreciation hit, this is pretty much what happens with all watches.

You want to see a real depreciation loss, have a look at the fashion brands.

Interesting thread...

I had my 156 MIL on Ebay.co.uk last week but pulled the auction as bidding wasn't getting high enough IMHO. Ok, my 156 has recently aquired a slightly damaged case, but I had it valued and I wanted the Ebay bidding to get at least close to the valuation price. One offer came, too low though and I pulled the auction. Actual bidding was miles off with a few days to go, but with over 40 watchers.

These points come to mind: I think it is cheaper to buy secondhand SINN watches in Germany than elswhere. Obvious eh? Makes sense! There are more SINN 156's available generally on the German Ebay site than elsewhere, and they are cheaper. Two years ago I bought my 156 for around £550 in Germany and I was looking in Germany simply because I couldn't find them elsewhere. I immediately had dial, hands, date wheel and bezel replaced and movement serviced at SINN at some expense.

The same watch now in the UK was valued at well over £900 with the recent case damage and well over £1200 without the damage. Maybe the valuer has got their numbers abit wrong with current market conditions, credit crunch etc, and it didn't sell. But if I'd have taken the offer of £800 that I'd received I'd still have broken even with the watch (£550 + £250 refurb/service). And this is with a recently damaged case!

So...yes some SINN watches hold their value. Depends where you buy them as a previous poster indicates. It depends what you buy too - my EZM 1 is worth alot more than I paid two years ago. That said I sold my EZM 3 at profit on Ebay.

Not in the same league as Rolex for maintaining/increasing value, but I certainly don't worry about losing money on SINN watches.

Cheers David

PS 156 is going back to SINN to have the damaged case repaired.

Thread Information