Need input on a Heuer Chronosplit LCD/LCD

Thread: Need input on a Heuer Chronosplit LCD/LCD

Need input on a Heuer Chronosplit LCD/LCD

Hello, I recently acquired a Heuer Chronosplit complete with box and instructions. It was a gift from my grandfather with the intent that I would sell it. It is not in very good condition as it has scratches on the band and the crystal. It does not turn on hopefully because of a dead battery. I have also read that these watches are fairly rare but are also unreliable. Can anyone give any input on whether this watch would be good to sell once I have a battery in it and I can confirm it works? Should I have a watchmaker "service" it before I sell it or should I sell it as is with no battery? I know next to nothing about watches and any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks and have a nice day.

Here are some pictures.
    Name:  20130804_145257.jpg
Views: 774
Size:  193.9 KBName:  20130804_145306.jpg
Views: 744
Size:  199.8 KBName:  20130804_145337.jpg
Views: 807
Size:  143.1 KBName:  20130804_145353.jpg
Views: 735
Size:  145.0 KB

Re: Need input on a Heuer Chronosplit LCD/LCD

Regardless of whether you intend to sell it, I would get a new battery fitted first of all to check it's working. This shouldn't be too expensive. A "service" of the movement isn't necessary for obvious reasons but others can advise on whether a clean-up/polish/restore-type service would be worth it. No idea on value but it's not one I've seen before. eBay has one in mint condition listed for nearly £3000 but don't get your hopes up as searching completed listings reveals it's been listed many times before at that price and not sold yet.
    Last edited by imagwai; August 5th, 2013 at 21:33.

Hi. Don't want to be negative about your gift, but it is highly likely that the problem goes deeper than just a battery. These watches destroy themselves. Most often its because the thin wires around the chips either break (they aren't protected in any way) or burn out. A second cause of death is leaving batteries in too long that leak. I've put up a few photos of the movement here:

CHRONOSPLIT- A classic? | The Home of Vintage Heuer Collectors- Calibre 11 - Page 2

If you want to get it fixed (which may involve replacing the movement), I'd highly recommend contacting Uli at LED forever- LED LCD Digital Watch of the 1970s

Good luck

dc
    Calibre 11 | The Home of TAG Heuer and Heuer Collectors

http://www.calibre11.com

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/calibre11

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

wow...looks complicated!!

Can't tell you how many times I have almost bought one of these, only to walk away at the last minute! It's a great looking watch, but so fragile..
    Calibre 11 | The Home of TAG Heuer and Heuer Collectors

http://www.calibre11.com

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/calibre11

Yeah I read about their fragility. I will just hope it works, do any of you guys know the value if it did work?

Quote Originally Posted by Zaqq View Post
    Yeah I read about their fragility. I will just hope it works, do any of you guys know the value if it did work?
    No values here. Too much chance for error.

I always assume these Chronosplits are fried when the seller claims they are untested. Fried they have little value. Working they are worth what a new Aquaracer sells for... Of course they are much more interesting than a new Aquaracer and have no future depreciation (unless they fail) so they are a better value... indeed, all vintage are better values than new watches.
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Thread Information