Screw down crown question
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By stuffler,mike
  • 1 Post By Watchtch

Thread: Screw down crown question

Screw down crown question

Hi,

the screw down crown on my Tag Heuer Formula 1 screws in to a slightly different position than earlier. The position is further in the direction of screwing it down (you can see it by the logo on the crown) .
    Is this something to worry about?

Thank you

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

Re: Screw down crown question

Welcome to Watchuseek. Newbies are kindly requested to familiarize with our fora prior to posting. Post moved to the more suitable forum.
    Ard likes this.
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

Ard

If you have been cranking it super tight in hope of a better seal the seals themselves will become compressed due to overtightening. I've owned 2 Aquaracers, kinda still do because I gave one to my brother so it's still in the family...…….. Both new watches, never overtightened crowns, just snug will due and I'm a fishing guide who gets them wet a lot, no leaks ever.

Welcome to the forum :)

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thanks.

That might be it. What about the watertightness, is it compromised with compressed seals?
    I would not want to send it for service before due date if the compreseed seals offer watertightness

Ard

The only way to tell if your watch is water tight is to have it tested. If, and that's a pretty big if, you have a quality watch repair in your town they will have a pressure tester. Unless you plan to submerge the watch for a period of time I way trust it with the crown tight. Remember I said tight not cranked down till the sap is squeezed out of it.

I can't say that overtightening is the cause for the change in the closed position but it is the likely cause. When you think of it over tightening any thing is usually a bad idea. Even the lugs on your auto's wheels have a torque designation turn them too tight break a hub stud...…….. Your watch is no different, when you screw in / down a crown snug will do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ard View Post
    The only way to tell if your watch is water tight is to have it tested. If, and that's a pretty big if, you have a quality watch repair in your town they will have a pressure tester. Unless you plan to submerge the watch for a period of time I way trust it with the crown tight. Remember I said tight not cranked down till the sap is squeezed out of it.

I can't say that overtightening is the cause for the change in the closed position but it is the likely cause. When you think of it over tightening any thing is usually a bad idea. Even the lugs on your auto's wheels have a torque designation turn them too tight break a hub stud...…….. Your watch is no different, when you screw in / down a crown snug will do it.
    gotta be careful lol. some places will damage your watch while water testing, and then you'd have to come back to them to have it fixed. Seen that happen plenty. Having the o-ring replaced isn't that big of an ordeal either.

Thanks.

I think I will wait for the regular yearly test at my ADs service center

Ard

You're welcome, I didn't mean to scold about the tightening thing. I've worked with many delicate type items throughout my life and found that sometimes the most common cause of a failure is a person trying to do something just a little too well. You should add a picture of your watch to the thread since I feel like I know you now :)

Np, I appreciate the opinion. Here it is
    Attached Images Attached Images

Ard likes this.

Ard

Nice, now you'll have me looking at them :)

Thread Information