Silly question: can I use chronograph hand as second hand?
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Silly question: can I use chronograph hand as second hand?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Silly question: can I use chronograph hand as second hand?

I have a Link with a small second hand dial at 9 o’clock position, and a chronograph second hand on the main dial. As I never used the chrono, and the second hand is a bit too small to read. I’m wondering if I can just turn on the chrono and let it run indefinitely, that if synced well, effectively becomes the main second hand? Any issues with that? Would it drain the power reserve too much? Affecting accuracy? Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks.
    JCB43 likes this.

Its not good because it wears down the wheels that engages to move the chrono hand. The way the teeth profile is made to move the hand are too pointy than other wheels that are meant to constantly run. I wouldn’t recommend it. Also it will lower your power reserve because you are adding another force that the mainspring will have to supply energy to.
    Eric.S and Pneuma like this.

Re: Silly question: can I use chronograph hand as second hand?

Quote Originally Posted by Erik10893 View Post
    Also it will lower your power reserve because you are adding another force that the mainspring will have to supply energy to.
    How could it be? The mainspring unloads at a constant rate, proportional to its tension, for as long as it's allowed by the anchor movement, which is constant amplitude (well, it is constant force, not constant speed, but we can consider it the same for the short time it can move). It's either strong enough to move the wheeltrain or it isn't. What it can do, in a unproperly designed caliber, is to move slower if its tension can barely move the added load (as it would when the spring is almost unloaded and it no longer offers full force), but I don't see how can it unload quicker.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

lvt

It's so silly.
    Ball - Casio (G-shock) - HMT - Longines - Parnis - Seagull - Steinhart - Tissot - Victorinox - Yema

Depends on the design of the movement. For instance, the Seiko 6139 is recommended to run the chrono all the time to relieve tension on a spring that would be stressed if stopped.
    NC_Hager626 likes this.
    Today would be a good day to delete your Facebook account, Here is why:

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f73/fa...l#post48047643

10 reasons to dump facebook:

https://www.komando.com/tips/527072/...cebook-in-2019

With respect to your question about draining power, below is a quote about running the chronograph function constantly, which for me makes sense:

You can, and people do, but it’s like running two watches. On 80 per cent of chronographs you’ll have a second hand running anyway, so if you’re also running the central hand then you’re running a separate set of wheels and pinions. This uses twice as much power so your power reserve will run down quicker.

If you are going to use it, keep your watch wound because if you’re running at low amplitude then everything is fighting for power and that will affect the timekeeping and put extra wear on the wheels.

https://www.fashionbeans.com/article...graph-watches/

- just something to consider.
    Pneuma and oso2276 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by jmnav View Post
    How could it be? The mainspring unloads at a constant rate, proportional to its tension, for as long as it's allowed by the anchor movement, which is constant amplitude (well, it is constant force, not constant speed, but we can consider it the same for the short time it can move). It's either strong enough to move the wheeltrain or it isn't. What it can do, in a unproperly designed caliber, is to move slower if its tension can barely move the added load (as it would when the spring is almost unloaded and it no longer offers full force), but I don't see how can it unload quicker.
    The law of conservation of energy ;)

...pesky little thing (the law)

I do it all the time.

Not always deliberately though.

I often start the chrono to time something and forget to stop it.

In my 7750 design based chrono's, (Tag Heuer and Omega), the watches will run measurably slower while the chrono is running.

Power reserve running down is not an issue, as they are automatics, and I wear my watches.

Yes it may wear the movement prematurely, but they will need a service eventually anyway, so ce la vie...

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnar_917 View Post
    ^^ tells the truth on Internet forums
    SOoO many watches, SOoO little time...
    Eric.S likes this.
    So many watches, so little time...

Technically you can, of course. But the gears for the chrono would of course wear faster than they normally would. They wouldn't need to be replaced on a service for example if you don't run it all the time, but if you do, you have to expect some parts of the chrono would need to be replaced.

And you of course would need to move it (the chrono) every once in a while to keep it in check.
    Eric.S likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Pimmsley View Post
    The law of conservation of energy ;)

...pesky little thing (the law)
    Indeed. But yet, you didn't explain anything. And you forgot some of those pesky details: heat and second Newton's law: for as long as the watch's pulse is working under spec (i.e.: four cycles lasting exactly one second), reserve always will last the same or, in other words, the only way for a watch's reserve to last longer or shorter is by the watch running slower or faster.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast