Tag Heuer Link 200m crown and stem removal PLEASE HELP
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By JohnMcManus5250
  • 1 Post By JohnMcManus5250

Thread: Tag Heuer Link 200m crown and stem removal PLEASE HELP

Tag Heuer Link 200m crown and stem removal PLEASE HELP

Hi everyone, please help. I have a Tag Heuer Link 200m. The crown has sheared off the stem, so I want to replace it.
    I have managed to remove the case back OK, and unscrew the stem so it's ready to pull out. But I can't find the dimple or lever that you press down.
    I know on watches usually it's marked with an arrow, or the dimple is near the stem. But I can't see any arrow or dimple on this one.
    I have uploaded a picture of it, so please can someone mark an arrow on where I need to press down?
    Many thanks.Name:  DSCF2240.JPG
Views: 455
Size:  2.32 MB

Re: Tag Heuer Link 200m crown and stem removal PLEASE HELP

You need to look really close, but the arrow is next to the little hole on the left in your picture, which you will need a very fine screwdriver or needle for to push in, and then crown stem will be able to be pulled out. Succes!
    Last edited by Jandevries; March 26th, 2016 at 04:22. Reason: correction

Many thanks for your help.

I ordered a 0.6mm pin tool from Ebay for only 99p from Hong Kong. But in the meantime I was keen to have another go removing the stem. So I went out and bought a big magnifying glass for only 2 Euro, and an LED headlamp for only 3 Euro.

The smallest screwdriver I have is 1mm, so I decided to make my own tool and just put some insulating tape on the end of a needle to act as a T-bar.

I read that in order to get the release lever to work, one has to have the watch spindle all the way in with the watch running first.
    Then one puts the pin in the hole to release the lever, and pull the stem out after unscrewing it as if setting the date.
    And sure enough this worked, the stem pulled out easy. I ordered a new one from America (I am in Ireland) for only 15 Euro including delivery which I thought was OK.
    I found couple of suppliers; one in the UK and one in America that sell Tag Heuer crowns for around 40 Euro. So I am just waiting on a digital vernier caliper to come from Hong Kong (only 6 Euro) so I can accurately measure the crown. I think its 5.25mm, so that will help me choose the correct one.
    Tag Heuer don't make it easy, but not listing the part numbers of all the crowns for ones watch. Its just a case of measure the crown then choose the shape.
    Anyway, I am hoping the stem that comes will be the same length as the original so I don't need to cut or file it down. It looks as if the crown screws on to the stem. I wonder if its thread locked with Loctite?Attachment 7575714
    Jandevries likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I found out the movement is an ETA F406-111, common in many models of Tag Heuer and Tissot watches. There is a good Youtube video on it if anyone wants to see it. Sorry I can't post a link yet, as I don't have many posts. I am glad I didn't send the watch to Tag Heuer's repair centre in Manchester; as they would have charged me hundreds to remove the broken stem and crown. I got the movement running again today before extracting the broken stem; so its good to know the movement is still OK; just the stem and crown is gone. I decided while I have the back off, I may as well change the battery. The current one is 6 years old so has lasted well! Its a Renata 371 if anyone needs to know. I got one on Ebay for only 3.50 Euro including delivery which was OK.
    Anyway, see the picture below for a better view of the movement and arrow to the lever hole.Attachment 7575794
    Jandevries likes this.

You are correct, the stem has to be sized and after that put some loctite onto the end that attaches to the crown, before you screw the crown onto the stem.
    And I would make sure that after you have installed the new battery and sealed the o-ring of the caseback-plate and the crown with some silicon grease, the water-resistance is tested, that way you can be sure there will be no water inside while you have it on your wrist.
    Enjoy your Link!

Thread Information