WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Tag Heuer Monaco- Pro's v. Con's

Tags
monaco
11K views 53 replies 15 participants last post by  Timelybehaviour05 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello WUS and Tag Heuer Fans,

I have been in love with the Tag Heuer Monaco as a kid. I love its innovative feats, its racing heritage and history with Steve McQueen. I am now in a position to afford one (if I sell two of my watches- a Tiffany's Mark T-57 Chrono and Nomos Tangente 139).

Despite loving watches and anything mechanical I don't want to collect watches. Rather, I want to have a few or several watches that I really use and enjoy. So, I am thinking about reducing my watch selection to a Tag Heuer Monaco Calibre 11 and a G-shock.

I would love to gain insight and feedback from current/ past Monaco owners about wearing the Monaco daily in all types of dress (causal, business, suit and tie).

Do you have any other Monaco Pro's/ Con's that you would add after ownership?

Thank you so much.

#2 ·
I don’t own a Monaco but thought about purchasing one long and hard. Beautiful watch and you should get what you feel fits your needs best.

Will a G-shock and the Monaco meet all your watch wearing needs? I also have a Tangente 139 and it fits my needs better for business casual at work. I love it’s simplicity and you can dress it up or down with different straps.

All I can say is if you get it, enjoy it!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

#3 ·
Thank you for the reply TgeekB.

I really appreciate your feedback as a fellow Tangente 139 owner. I really do enjoy the Tangente for its simplicity. As you stated, it is a perfect watch for getting under the cuff. However, my professional life doesn't require a suit so I find myself moving away from dress shirts and suits.

I am on a mission to find one special piece that I can enjoy everyday but I do have concerns selling the Tangente and regretting it.

#4 · (Edited)
I love my Monaco. It's beautifully made and stunning to look at, but probably wouldn't be my choice for a daily wearer. But that's just my opinion of course. I like a bracelet for a daily wearer because it works well in any type of weather, hot or cold. There is a bracelet available for the Monaco but I haven't tried it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#7 ·
I can not stop looking at your watch! Gosh, I just love it. Please enjoy it! For some reason I have never liked how bracelets look on my wrist. But I also have never tried that many bracelets on my wrist.

I think I enjoy the Monaco so much because of its history and its some what quirkiness of being square. I personally dress very simply- jeans and a tucked in shirt and I think the Monaco would really add to the outfit without being too flashy. Thank you for all of the feedback.

Reactions: JonS1967
#5 ·
Its a really solid watch. Very fun to wear. More casual minded, but i believe it looks good on a suit as well since its still quite blingy and fancy. The design never gets old, especially the steve mcqueen's model (cal 11)

#12 ·
I quickly looked up the differences between Modular and Integrated Chronograph's I would love to learn why you don't like Modular Chronograph's. Is the new Heuer 02 Monaco going to have an integrated chronograph movement?

#15 ·
@JonS1967 you have been the biggest inspiration for the Monaco. Your photos actually make me smile and excited. Please enjoy your Monaco! I can't wait to get mine :)

Do you have any other favorite watches in your weekly rotation?

#16 ·
I'm glad you liked my photos. Thanks for your kind words. I wanted a Monaco for nearly 20 years before I bought mine. It was well worth the wait. There are other watches I love too, but the Monaco is right at the top for me.

I've got more watches than I should and have been considering downsizing a bit since ordering two more last week... I just couldn't pass them up. But, since you asked, I've been wearing all of these in rotation (not weekly) lately. I don't really have a weekly rotation. I just wear what my mood dictates. I usually wear one to work and then something else in the evening at home. [emoji41]

#18 ·
Thanks! It’s the culmination of nearly 30 years of collecting. I used to keep some of my watches on a winder (I had a 3 watch winder), but had problems with several of them so I stopped using it. I can’t say for certain that it was because of the winder, but I haven’t heard any issues since. Just my observation.

#20 ·
Thanks! It's the culmination of nearly 30 years of collecting. I used to keep some of my watches on a winder (I had a 3 watch winder), but had problems with several of them so I stopped using it. I can't say for certain that it was because of the winder, but I haven't heard any issues since. Just my observation.

Thank you for the reply JonS1967. Alright, so I have some to collect and kick my minimalist attitude to materialistic items (haha). I really do admire your collection though, I really enjoy every piece you own... especially the Monaco!

Since I will only have the Monaco and a quartz sports watch I guess I won't need a winder.

#21 ·
This is a good point, especially since I don't plan on owning many watches additional straps will add different personalities to the Monaco. Thanks for the mention! Do you have any watch strap suggestions?!

#23 ·
Thanks Jon. I think if your one passion or hobby is watch collecting than keep them and enjoy them!

For me, I know how obsessive my brain can get and so I have to make hard/ fast rules with my hobbies. There are handful of watches I really enjoy (and you own many of them).

I looked at the the Tropical watch strap and it looks fantastic, especially on the Speedy!

#26 ·
I believe the Monaco Cal. 11 I ordered will be reaching my home today or tomorrow. I can't wait to pick it up and share the photos with you all! Thanks again for all of the help.

#43 ·
Thank you so much Jon. I really appreciate your comment and thank you again for all of your help!

I have to say this is the first time I feel satiated with a watch... maybe the next watch in the far far future with be an original Monaco from the 70's :)

#44 ·
Thank you so much Jon. I really appreciate your comment and thank you again for all of your help!

I have to say this is the first time I feel satiated with a watch... maybe the next watch in the far far future with be an original Monaco from the 70's :)

#46 ·
I've come close to buying the blue several times first a used then a new at my local AD. If ever I did I'd go new but that doesn't answer your question does it?

I have only a few watches and the 2 most expensive are my Carrera & Aquaracer. I back them up with a G Shock and a Citizen quartz. So why didn't I buy the blue watch? I like them, I like them a lot but I'm afraid that after months of ownership I may tire of the 'Blue' it's cool because I only look at pictures or handle one at the Tag store but what if it was mine every day?

I had a watch with a green bezel that I thought looked great for about 2 weeks then it looked green.

I had a black bay watch that had the Burgundy bezel and I thought it looked so cool for about 3 weeks then it looked like a red watch...…

These are my Tag watches;

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery

I have the bracelet and the Alligator strap for the white Carrera so it's like 2 watches when I change the strap. The black watch looks great and after over 3 years it still looks like a black watch.

If I wanted to part with the money I could get away with Blue now, blue - black & white, that would work I guess but then I'd have over $10,000.00 in watches and that doesn't seem right to me.

Monaco is nice if you don't tire of it is my final answer :)

#52 ·
Well I feel like I got here late in the game. I have read each post so far. I have owned now 2 Monaco watches. Calibre 17 and now I just picked up a cal 11. I adore the Monaco and wouldn’t have anything else. Picks attached because without picks it’s just words.

The 17 had an acrylic crystal which needed polywatch regularly. The 11 is all sapphire.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.