Vintage Autavia repair

Thread: Vintage Autavia repair

Vintage Autavia repair

Hi all,

I was recently fortunate enough to receive a second generation Autavia that's been in my family since new. I don't believe it had been wound in at least 30 years. It is currently running but is about +20 minutes a day. I would love to get it overhauled and was wondering if there is a general recommendation with these watches, as I've never owned one of this tier before.
    Name:  IMG_3690.JPG
Views: 17
Size:  1.51 MB

Name:  IMG_3691.JPG
Views: 16
Size:  1.96 MB

Bonus pic: a great little Seiko with a screw-down crown and jeweled quartz movement I also received

Name:  IMG_3692.JPG
Views: 16
Size:  1.43 MB

That's all! I haven't posted in a while so I apologize if this is a redundant topic or I missed a sticky, any recommendations greatly appreciated.

Re: Vintage Autavia repair

Winding it was a mistake, check with Jason at 'The Tick Tock Shop' in Santa Clara, CA.

Nice watch in pretty good shape. The lugs look to have nice sharp edges from what I can see. I would recommend hunting down a good watchmaker who has experience of servicing vintage watches. You don't want any parts replaced aside from perhaps the crystal (although best to have that polished if you can). The case should be cleaned but not polished. Everything else should stay as original as possible.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I'm looking at servicing like you, having a vintage autavia also. I heard Tag Heuer will service them, sending the vintage models back to HQ in Switzerland to get it done. It comes with a 1-year warranty after servicing. Kinda weighting it up vs a local watchermaker as I've been told by the tag heuer boutique that they could get me an original bracelet which I don't have.

Might be worth looking into. I can't find much info atm about people's experiences sending vintage heuer pieces to tag heuer for servicing.

Quote Originally Posted by NotAlwaysThereWhenYouCall View Post
    I'm looking at servicing like you, having a vintage autavia also. I heard Tag Heuer will service them, sending the vintage models back to HQ in Switzerland to get it done. It comes with a 1-year warranty after servicing. Kinda weighting it up vs a local watchermaker as I've been told by the tag heuer boutique that they could get me an original bracelet which I don't have.

Might be worth looking into. I can't find much info atm about people's experiences sending vintage heuer pieces to tag heuer for servicing.
    I would approach with caution. You want to make sure they don't replace any parts unnecessarily or polish the case. That said, they will normally email you an estimate and detail all the work they'll be doing before they do it.

Thread Information