WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Deep Quest Bezel Tuning

5K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  Jackhmr21 
#1 · (Edited)
We'll start with a warning that this is not authorized by Ball so proceed at your own risk.

To do this procedure you will need a T4 Torx driver and a small flat blade screw driver. I found these drivers at Home Depot for around $10 and I would recommend buying two so if you wish to remove the bracelet down the road your can (You need a driver on each side to remove the the bracelet retaining screws ). These have about 8 different tip sizes including a T4. Note: If you have a Orbital it has T5 which these also have a tip for.

Using the driver, and being careful not to completely remove the screw, back out the screws about the thickness of the head going around the bezel.

All plates will be hanging on the bezel after all are backed out.

Next lift off the bezel. You can see in the second photo below the teeth on the back of the bezel. These are what the spring we are about to tweak clicks against.

At the base of the platform that the bezel rests on is a spring with four fingers. I have removed it just to show more detail. You do not have to remove it. It can be adjusted while still on the watch. In order to put more tension on the bezel you will need to slightly bend these four fingers up a little so the so they provide more tension on the ends the engage with groves in the back of the bezel. Just bend them ever so slightly up with a flat blade screw driver. Be careful not to snap them off.

You can set the bezel back on and while holding it down screw in but don't tighten two opposite screws (180 degrees apart). Now test it by turning. Be warned it will not make it like a rock just a little more solid and a heavier click. Note: since you only have two screws in it will not be as solid as when all are in. If you dare to make it tighter you can back out the two tightened screws, remove the bezel and tweek the spring fingers a little more and retest as before. Now tighten all of the screws. Be mindful these are very tiny and can only take a little torque so be careful! Once you have them all screwed back in I recommend a second time around just to make sure you got the all. You are now ready to wear. There is a good chance this will also work on a XV. Remember do this at your own risk, but really it is not much harder that putting the strap on a Hydrocarbon.

See less See more
#2 ·
If you have a Spacemaster series watch this may also work(I have not tried). Remember you will need to be extra careful on those since they are slotted screws. I woud put masking tape on the case side and top of the lugs to protect the watch incase you slip. If the bezel is too tight you may want to bend the fingers down a little and test. Also a little clear silicon lube may help a tight bezel without having to bend the screws.

#7 · (Edited)
Can anyone that has done this please tell me the secret to screwing it back in?

If I have screw them in the bezel is fine, but if I screw them in almost to 100% it doesn't turn at all. This is not something I wish I left alone.....EDIT - worked out the issue

EDIT - as Michael said "We'll start with a warning that this is not authorized by Ball so proceed at your own risk"

I ended up working it out. Thank you Michael, much appreciated!

2nd EDIT: I took my watch to a watch maker and he told me I bent one of the spring lips on the spring ring, so he ordered the part for me. Also I realized that when placing the bezel back on the case you need to screw them in very lightly, and screw in every 'second' screw, or else it becomes too tight on one side and uneven. Hope this helps others.....be very very gentle with the spring if doing this mod.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.