WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Fireman Storm Chaser DLC Glow SE

13K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  por44 
#1 ·

So Rob came through and was able to get me the new Limited Edition Fireman Stormchaser DLC Glow Black dial the day after he received them. So here is a quick review of the watch.
This watch uses a ETA 7750 so as we go around the dial the day/date is at the 3, the 12 hour chronograph register is at the 6, the watch second hand is at the 9 and the 30 minute chronograph register is at the 12. The hands are polished stainless with red tips on all the Chronograph hands including the big second hand. The dial is black with a circular pattern texture on the sub dials and a polished SS frame around the Day/Date window. Some of the secondary markings in the chrono sub dials are red as well as the "Special Edition" marking on the dial. This disappears in low light but can clearly be seen in daylight. One of the biggest differentiating features of the SE Stormchaser is that now 66 tubes now are there to light up the night. The 5,10, 20, 25, 35,40, 50,and 55 have double width and double length tubes. The remaining minute markers have thinner and shorter tubes with the 3,6,9 and 12 a bit thicker. This is the first 4 color watch with the minute marker at the 12 being orange, all the other minute markers being blue, the watch hands and the big second hand are amber and the three sub dial hands are green. The second differentiation feature is the DLC (Diamond Like Carbon) coating applied to the watch as the name indicates. Unlike the crown of the Night Train this has DLC applied to the crown and pushers. If you have not seen a DLC watch in the steel it has a transparent quality to it that is warmer in tone and not just a dense black like PVD. More of the metal finishing underneath it can be seen through the coating. It is very durable in day to day use. The next unique feature is the Doppler Radar truck on the case back along with the numbering for the limited edition (xxxx/1999). Unlike the standard Stormchaser the DLC has a black bezel (Tachymeter) and chapter ring (Telemeter) with white painted scales for measurement to calculate speed and distance during a storm. The last unique feature is the first 21 mm stitched (red) rubber strap with tang buckle. This is the new softer version like the Fireman Racer.

Like the standard Stormchaser the Start/Stop pusher has the red dot on the end. The pusher locking collars must be fully screwed out for the chronograph to operate. The collars and the crown have the diamond pattern knurling which is a Stormchaser trade mark feature. This makes the controls very easy to grip when wet. The other pusher is the reset. The watch is rated for 5000G shock and 100m water resistance. The domed 36 mm sapphire crystal is AR coated on the inside. The case is 43mm wide, 47.5mm with the crown, 16mm thick, 21mm lug width, and 52mm lug to lug. The watch weighs 4.25 oz (120g).

Like all Fireman the watch has a nice curve to the lugs and conforms to various wrist sizes very well. The extra 5mm of thickness makes this watch wear more true to size (43mm) and gives it more wrist presence than my B&O or Night Train Fireman. The watch is very readable which is usually one of my gripes about some chronograph watches. With the big polished military hands and the white by day raised tubes take on an almost applied index look on the black dial. If you check out some of the side angle photos I have of the dial you will see what I am talking about. If you need to use the chronograph functions the dials are easily readable. The red markings on the dial are most visible and have a nice bright red that matches the strap stitching in sun light. These disappear as light goes down and the red gets darker. The watch head has a nice substantial weight to it that is well managed by the vanilla scented rubber strap. Everything about it feels solid and substantial and has a military look to it. The extra weight has a nice feel on the wrist.

Since this is the first 2011 release from Ball the year is shaping up well. There is a lot of buzz about this watch and this is one of the first in the US and it is already 425/1999. The 1999 which will be shared with other markets as well as the white(gray) dial variant. These come with a nice certificate noting the Limited Edition and the number you receive. I'll add to this review after I have some time with the watch. So Go get-em!

Last edited by samanator; 3 Days Ago at 15:27.​
Michael
BALL Watch an

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.