Attention Searaiders: We're in the final stretch

Thread: Attention Searaiders: We're in the final stretch

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    DOXA Forum Moderator subkrawler's Avatar

Attention Searaiders: We're in the final stretch

It's hard for me to believe, but we're only days away from being on the island. Things are happening fast, so I want to remind everyone to check the Searaiders sub-forum regularly for updates, news, etc.

Ten days from tonight, is the eve before our departure. "Excited" isn't even the word for it.
    "The most beautiful objects are those built for purpose. Few things are more thrilling than the unrestrained use of tools most have mistaken for luxuries" -unknown

Metropolitan Detroit (Or is it South Florida again?)

Re: Attention Searaiders: We're in the final stretch

Last minute order to Scuba Toys today (I've been slacking! ). Nitrox class/cert. should be finalized next week.... (err, I hope. )
    Regards, T Bone.

DOXA Forum and Sales Corner Moderator

Know what you mean, I've been sorting and packing for the last couple of weeks, don't want to forget anything important, passport, dive log, PADI card, etc. (take the cannoli, leave the gun). My Nitrox card showed up yesterday, if yours doesn't show up in time your dive shop should be able to give you a temporary card, if not make sure you bring their phone number so Ocean Frontiers can check.
    Randy
    Overtime: The fuel for the Doxaholic engine.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Can't wait as well especially since I'll be in Florida for some little warm up diving on Key Biscayne for two days!! I just want to know how many of us will be going on Nitrox. Or we all will dive on regular air. And are we going to have a get together on the first night?
    Michael
    IGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The world is my oyster and I like the taste of it!

Quote Originally Posted by MTJO View Post
    Can't wait as well especially since I'll be in Florida for some little warm up diving on Key Biscayne for two days!! I just want to know how many of us will be going on Nitrox. Or we all will dive on regular air. And are we going to have a get together on the first night?
    Michael
    I'll be on 32% Nitrox the entire time, except when we go deep on the 100+ ft. wall dives. I'll switch to 30/30 tri-mix for that.

Here's my plan for the first day. After we land and get checked in, we'll want to grab some groceries. That should take us into mid-afternoon. Then, if anybody has some new gear to sort out, or wants to dial in their weighting before the first day of real diving, we can gear up and get in the water right off of the pier. After that, we can all go to dinner somewhere on the East End. By then, I imagine everyone will be pretty tired from the days travels, and ready to turn in. I know I will.

How does that sound to everyone?
    "The most beautiful objects are those built for purpose. Few things are more thrilling than the unrestrained use of tools most have mistaken for luxuries" -unknown

Cheryle and I will be both diving air. I have a sneaking suspicion that she may want to get her weight dialed in Sat afternoon before boat-diving on Sun. It has been a while since either of us has been boat-diving, and she tends to mix-up her wetsuits trying to find the "perfect balance" between being warm, and not being too bulky.
    Best Regards,
    Jason

Ty's plan sounds good.!
    IGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Just a question for the 2007 Searaiders. I don't have a 3mm wetsuit. I got a 5mm wetsuit and a 2mm shorty with a 0.5mm wetsuit. Shall I bring the 5mm or the 2+0.5 mm will by enough?
    Michael
    IGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by MTJO View Post
    Just a question for the 2007 Searaiders. I don't have a 3mm wetsuit. I got a 5mm wetsuit and a 2mm shorty with a 0.5mm wetsuit. Shall I bring the 5mm or the 2+0.5 mm will by enough?
    Michael
    From the perspective of thermal protection, I think the 2+0.5 will be enough...if you don't get cold easily. The water is approx 83 deg F, so it's fairly warm.

My main reason for recommending full body coverage, is protection from the rocks/coral when navigating a swim-through. Those can get tight at times, and if there is a surge, it can push you right into something jagged. For this application, the 0.5 will probably be enough, but just barely. You want something thick enough that can absorb a hit, and not punch through. A lycra, dive-skin wouldn't be enough.

Last year, I remember some people who weren't in our group, getting scraped up. I can't remember if they were in skins or just shorties, but whatever it was, it wasn't enough.

Ty,

I'm assuming I can hire the requisite suit there. I am Johnny minimalist. Couple of masks, fins and boots. That's all I own and just hire what is necessary for a dive.

Depending on how my ear holds up there may not even be a lot of water time for me anyway

Pete

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information