Searaider 2008 (Part I) Better than ever!!

Thread: Searaider 2008 (Part I) Better than ever!!

DOXA Forum Moderator subkrawler's Avatar

Searaider 2008 (Part I) Better than ever!!

Wow! Hard to believe it's been an entire week since we lifted off from the island. In that week, we've seen some great photos, read some great stories, and in Pete's case....even seen a slick video. That's what makes Searaider special, it's each individual's experience that contributes to the whole. Searaider 2008 was truly a blast, and I hope everyone who has a passion for diving and DOXA, get to experience it one day.

Now speaking of great, we all know how great Searaider 2007 was. This year was no different. We started off at the airport, with everyone arriving within minutes of each other. There was only one minor delay(right Jas) but we secured our vehicles, and headed for the East End.

Figuring that most of us had a fairly stressful and tiring day of travel, I thought it best to keep the remaining part of the day as relaxing as possible. Once checked in, we found our way down to Portofino. If you ever find yourself on the East End of Grand Cayman, Portofino is a "must dine" establishment. It's right on the water, comfortable and the turtle steak(Cayman style)....is superb.

After an incredible dinner, and a bit of grocery shopping, I started making my rounds distributing the great gifts that had been showered upon the Searaiders. Once again, DOXA came through with more great loot(huge thanks guys!). This year, the black 1889 caps made their debut, along with the orange 5000T t-shirts. Coolest of all though, were the new 2008/2009 Caribbean inspired Sub patches. Looks really good on an orange wet-suit.

Along with DOXA's surprises for this year, TUSA climbed aboard and gifted us with some awesome stuff as well. T-shirts, caps and some really cool "fin" key chains, helped to round out the gift packages. Big thanks to Jon Davy(the man behind the TUSA 1000T) for hooking us up

Since we're on the subject of gifts, I was surprised when a few Searaiders were bearing gifts of their own. MTJO gave everyone really nice embroidered "Searaider" polo shirts, and whse handed out some commemorative Searaider 2008 patches, that he embroidered. They accompany the DOXA patches quite well, which you'll see later on. You gotta love the love.

Now, as I made my rounds playing "Caribbean Santa", I started to notice some of the watches that had been brought along. I don't think there was a single reissue that wasn't represented, and the vintage assortment was astounding. Even the non-DOXA pieces were striking, as I'd never seen a Dreadnaught, a Rasmus, much less a PloProf. Even if we'd never gotten around to diving, the "watch meet" element was bigger and better than anything I'd ever seen.

Amazing what a day it had been so far, and we hadn't even been diving yet. With the night marching on, I checked the time on my TUSA....time to check gear and hit the sack. Camera battery charged...check. Dive light charged...check. Regulators in order...check. Man, I can't wait for in the morning.
    "The most beautiful objects are those built for purpose. Few things are more thrilling than the unrestrained use of tools most have mistaken for luxuries" -unknown

Re: "Searaider 2008" (Part I) Better than ever!!

Great pics Ty............can't wait for part II
    Best Regards,
    Jason

And the crowds called for more......

Keep it coming Ty

Pete

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

"The room was humming harder
    as the ceiling flew away..."

Yet another great write-up, Ty (and as you wrote, we hadn't even been diving yet,)

Great Ty!!! You mean I have to re-live it again???? Oh the written word!! Keepem coming ... need to get through another 50 weeks!

John

DOXA Forum Moderator subkrawler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jmoors View Post
    Great Ty!!! You mean I have to re-live it again???? Oh the written word!! Keepem coming ... need to get through another 50 weeks!

John
    Just wait until I get to the storm part.
    "The most beautiful objects are those built for purpose. Few things are more thrilling than the unrestrained use of tools most have mistaken for luxuries" -unknown

Metropolitan Detroit (Or is it South Florida again?)

Quote Originally Posted by subkrawler View Post
    Just wait until I get to the storm part.
    Looking forward to that part especially, as I basically slept through the hurricane . MTJO can verify. What he might not have realized, was the night before I was up untill after 2:00 and got up around 5:00....

Ty, great write-up of day one, looking forward to the rest!
    Last edited by Jason71; November 18th, 2008 at 01:57. Reason: spelling ;-)
    Regards, T Bone.

DOXA Forum and Sales Corner Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by T Bone View Post
    Looking forward to that part especially, as I basically slept through the hurricane . MTJO can verify. What he might not have realized, was the night before I was up untill after 2:00 and got up around 5:00....

T-Bone don't forget that we met at 5:30 on the stairway!!! But we still didn't make the flight.
    Actually guys I can verify that T-Bone is an excellent roommate that was not afraid of the hurricane and that made me very comfortable so I could as well sleep through Paloma!!! Boy this name is too nice for a hurricane!!
    Michael
    Last edited by Jason71; November 18th, 2008 at 14:04. Reason: spelling/fix Quote ;-)
    IGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The world is my oyster and I like the taste of it!

Thread Information