Searaider 2009

Thread: Searaider 2009

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    DOXA Forum Moderator subkrawler's Avatar

Searaider 2009

Alright, I know everyone is anxious as all get out, so here it is......Searaider 2009!! By now, unless you've been stranded on a deserted island, you know what it's all about. It's world class diving, with world class watches, and the best part of all....world class people.

As in '07 and '08, Grand Cayman's the place(where else) and it's going to be more "excitement" packed than ever before. For 2009, I've added another day, to give us 6 total days of diving. I've also moved it back one week, November 7th through the 14th, to hopefully avoid any late season hurricanes.:oops:

Returning are Searaider classics such as the two-tank morning dives, as well as last year's favorite....the night dive. New for '09 is the "Three-Tank Safari", and "A la Carte Afternoons".

The Three-Tank Safari starts us off in the morning, exploring one of East End's deep walls(Tank #1). Since last year's boat rides on the bow were almost worth the price of admission alone, we'll motor around to the North Side of the island on our dive boat the Eastern Skies. Once there, we'll disembark and have lunch at the Kaibo Yacht Club(can't miss their conch fritters) and then re-board for the trip to Stingray City. At Stingray City we'll witness the feeding, and interact with some of the islands most famous residents, the Southern Stingrays. After the rays have had had their fill, and we've burned a tank exploring the coral heads around Stingray City(Tank #2), we'll navigate back toward the East End. Somewhere along the way, we'll catch our last dive of the day on one of the North East or far Easterly dive sites(Tank #3). I'm especially excited about this, as we'll be diving a site that's normally too far from our base at Ocean Frontiers.

For those of you like me, where a two-tank morning dive just isn't enough diving in a day, I offer you "A la Carte Afternoons". For an additional $50(super cheap for Cayman), we can go out on the afternoon trip for another two dives on the East End's walls and reefs. Definitely a feature where I plan to take full advantage.

That covers the diving, but "What else?" you may ask. Well, along with the diving, Elly our team videographer will accompany us on the "Three Tank Safari" and one of our two-tank morning dives. She'll then edit, score, and produce our very own Searaider documentary. We'll all get our own copy, so we can show the folks back home what it really is to be a "Searaider". She'll also grab her still camera and join us on another two-tanker, giving us a disk full of fine underwater stills.

Since the island gives us so much, this year we're going to give little back by having our very own Project Aware beach clean-up. For those of you who don't know, Project Aware is a marine conservation organization founded by the Professional Association of Diving Instructors(PADI). One afternoon we'll spend an hour or so covering the shoreline around Ocean Frontiers, helping to dispose of the flotsam and jetsam that finds it's way to Grand Cayman from parts unknown. Our project will be recorded and submitted to Project Aware, assisting them with information important to addressing global debris issues.

OK, I know you're ready for me to get to the good stuff, so here's the itinerary.(subject to change as more cool features unfold in the coming months)

Nov. 7: Arrival in GC and Ocean Frontier's/Compass Point check in. Procure groceries, supplies etc. Casual meet and greet and maybe dinner at a near-by restaurant
    Nov. 8: Morning dive w/ afternoon open to explore the island.
    Nov. 9: Morning dive w/ afternoon open (afternoon dive anyone?)
    Nov. 10: Morning dive w/ Project Aware beach clean-up in the afternoon
    Nov. 11: Three Tank Safari
    Nov. 12: Morning dive w/ afternoon open. Night dive
    Nov. 13: Morning dive w/ afternoon open. Evening farewell BBQ.
    Nov. 14: Check out and departure

Just like before, here's the pricing break-down plus other information that's needed, straight from Lesley at Ocean Frontiers:

DOXA Rally 2009 - Searaider's 3rd annual dive trip

7 nights accommodation at Compass Point Dive Resort
    5 x two tank dives, 1 x 3 tank dive and a night dive
    1 x BBQ evening
    Car rental per condominium
    Souvenir DVD and photo disk per person

Cost is :
    Double occupancy in a one bedroom: $1,545.00 per person inc tax
    Double occupancy in a two bedroom: $1815.00 per person inc tax
    Single occupancy in a one bedroom: $2,065.00 inc tax

In order to confirm your reservation, I will need the following information:

Name the room should be booked in: First/Last
    Name of all people in room

Check in and check out dates

Room Type

Name of all divers.

Date of last dive (Month/year )

Any equipment requirements you may have. Please could you supply heights and weights for proper sizing.

Finally I will also need a credit card number, VISA or Master Card, and expiration date. By clicking on the following link you will be able to send your credit card over our secure website:
    www.oceanfrontiers.com the secure link is in the top left corner

The card will be used to confirm your booking. For early bookings prior to June 1st, a charge of $100 will apply. This early deposit will be very helpful for planning additional events during the rally. 50% of the remaining balance will be charged on June 1st, with the final 50% being taken 45 days prior to arrival. If you are booking with less than 45 days to arrival, full payment will be taken at the time of booking.

Refund policy: Full refund with more then 30 days notice prior to first day of arrival. No refund with less than 30 days notification.

If you have any questions regarding the resort or Ocean Frontiers diving. Please do not hesitate to contact me and I will be happy to help. My email address is
    [email protected]

I know this is obvious, but just to be clear.....all participants are responsible for their airfare, meals(except BBQ), souvenirs, etc. You'll need to bring dive gear, and proof of certification plus a log book. Nitrox is extra, but well worth it if you're certified in it's use. If you don't have your own gear, Ocean Frontiers has late model, Scubapro gear and would be happy to help with rentals. Just check with Lesley for rates and reservations.

That should just about cover everything, but if you have any questions, please send me a PM. If you have questions for Lesley, use her email address above.

With more features than ever before, plus a few surprises that I'll unveil as we get further along, Searaider 2009 is destined to be the best one yet. So dust off the dive gear, pressure check the DOXAs, and get ready to travel. You don't want to be left behind.
    Last edited by subkrawler; March 24th, 2009 at 20:50. Reason: price needed a highlight
    "The most beautiful objects are those built for purpose. Few things are more thrilling than the unrestrained use of tools most have mistaken for luxuries" -unknown

Re: Searaider 2009

Hey Ty,
    Good thing that I had to finish some loose ends on a project and I had to stay a bit late. In this way I received one of the nicest news in the last few weeks. ( Not that there are too many good news lately ) I'm totally in and realy happy about the 7 days schedule. I hope the whole gang can make it and we can make this the best Searaider ever!
    Thanks Ty!!:thanks:thanks:thanks
    Michael
    IGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The world is my oyster and I like the taste of it!

Ty,
    Sounds like you did it again, looks like a fantastic trip.
    Count Thor and I in.
    The way things are going up here in the Red River valley I may get some diving in just getting to work, but I'll be ready for some warm blue water as opposed to cold murky flood water. Randy
    Overtime: The fuel for the Doxaholic engine.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thread "stuck" who said I can't mod while on vacation with an ipod?

I need to check the dates, but Cheryle will kill me if we don't make it this year.
    Best Regards,
    Jason

Metropolitan Detroit (Or is it South Florida again?)

Great news Ty (and like Michael, I can use some!)

One question, are "go carts" included again (I presume yes).

We need to make it to The Lighthouse this year (not that the chicken at Todd and Brit's wasn't GREAT!).
    I will look forward to this one, sounds like a truly fantastic time! (Got to get a new camera this year, so I can join the photog fun).

[simulated islandese] I' be dare mon. [/simulated islandese]
    Regards, T Bone.

DOXA Forum and Sales Corner Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by T Bone View Post
    Great news Ty (and like Michael, I can use some!)

One question, are "go carts" included again (I presume yes).
    T-bone you know that the "go carts", sorry cars, are part of the charm of the island!! But make sure next time fill it up at the gas station "before" you drop it off. Remember what happened last time because of Paloma! BTW do they have a mini-van for us?
    Michael
    Last edited by Jason71; March 30th, 2009 at 12:23. Reason: quote fix
    IGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The world is my oyster and I like the taste of it!

You know Britt and I will be there. I had so much fun last year that I spend half my days at work looking through the 3 disks of videos and pics from the trip and dreaming I was back again.

Is it November yet?

Searaiders forever!
    Todd

Fortune favors the bold. Virgil (70 BC - 19 BC)

In wine there is wisdom, in Scotch there is strength, In beer there is freedom, and in water there is bacteria.

Metropolitan Detroit (Or is it South Florida again?)

Not sure on the mini van Was thinking to maybe upgrade the car this time, but maybe not.

We actually put 4 of us (John, Cathy, Doc. Pete and myself) into John's Charade to go to Georgetown (the night at Landmark) and it wasn't that bad. Glad John is a good driver though!

And yes, I'll be keepin' the tank full, just in case (that was for sure the most $ per gallon I've ever paid- good it was a small tank! We should have thought to fill up the night before).
    Regards, T Bone.

DOXA Forum and Sales Corner Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by T Bone View Post
    Not sure on the mini van Was thinking to maybe upgrade the car this time, but maybe not.

We actually put 4 of us (John, Cathy, Doc. Pete and myself) into John's Charade to go to Georgetown (the night at Landmark) and it wasn't that bad. Glad John is a good driver though!

And yes, I'll be keepin' the tank full, just in case (that was for sure the most $ per gallon I've ever paid- good it was a small tank! We should have thought to fill up the night before).
    I was thinking of the cars and you know ... Kathy and I will most likely just do the same as last year ... Charade but pay for the insurance. I didn't have any problem getting the 4 of us in the car for a night out and to upgrade .. hell that would mean that I would feel like I needed to drive it more ... I went there to dive not drive

Working with Kathy now to make sure that we will make the trip ... It is rough because we will be in Roatan for 2 weeks in June, also want to go to Clive Cussler Convention this year (missed it last year) and then this trip so looking at vacation time ... Damn wish I could just retire and go diving!!!

John

DOXA Forum Moderator subkrawler's Avatar

Alright, great to hear from everybody.

Michael: Glad I could bring a little "sunshine".

Randy: Cold, murky water....bad. Warm, clear water....good!

Jason: As far as Chelyle killing you if you don't come...as well she should.

T: Yes, the "go-carts" are included once again.

Todd: Right on!

John: Make it happen man, the trip won't be the same without you guys.
    "The most beautiful objects are those built for purpose. Few things are more thrilling than the unrestrained use of tools most have mistaken for luxuries" -unknown

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread Information