Searaider 2009 (Part II)

Thread: Searaider 2009 (Part II)

DOXA Forum Moderator subkrawler's Avatar

Searaider 2009 (Part II)

Monday morning and the sun is out. Tropical Storm Ida is definitely outta here, so let the warm sun shine, the cool breezes blow and the diving begin. Now this feels more like the Caribbean........

Although yesterday was rough, and the seas still choppy, the one good thing that's come of this, is it's forced us to seek dive sites further to the East. Sites that, when the conditions are calm, aren't visited as often. It's exciting for me because it's new territory to be explored and discovered. Change is good...very good.

The dives for today are a wall called Turtle Pass, and a reef called what else, but "Roger's Reef". Maybe one day we can have "Searaider's Reef" but I'm not holding my breath (you can blow a lung that way ).

Let's jump in. Mike...show us how it's done.

Randy taking a few pics before going over the edge.

The Searaider team on the move.

A spiny lobster hiding in a barrel sponge.

Time checking the 5000T Pro....38 minutes and counting.

'Raiders over the reef.

Michael and his 300T reissue.

The 3-dial T-graph.

Heading home with the 5000T.

Back at the dock, but the day was far from over. We grabbed a quick lunch and headed into town to visit some dive shops. Some wanted to check out new gear, Brittie wanted a new mask, but I needed a new pressure gauge. Seems that my 25 yr old gauge, the one I started with when I was 12, finally decided to take on water. 25 years of solid dependable service...that's Scubapro for you.

While our excursion into town was prosperous, we needed to head back for our final event of the day. Being that Ocean Frontiers is a PADI 5 star facility, and also a Project Aware center...I decided to enroll the Searaiders in an official Project Aware beach clean-up. This way our efforts will be submitted to Project Aware, to help in their effort to combat ocean pollution.

So with bags in hand, latex gloves on hand, we hit the beach. Now the beaches at Compass Point, while rocky, are always kept clean. It's the beach to the West and to the East of Compass Point that desperately needed our help.

Looking East as Todd, Michael, Randy, Gavin and myself comb the beach.

Michael finds a shoe and there were lots of them.

After more than an hour and with the sun beginning to set, we gathered our bags and tallied the results. We collected 9 bags of plastic bottles, bottle caps, rope, Styrofoam, plastic bags, a tire, a glass baking dish, shoes, a fishing float, and a Muslim prayer cap. Interesting to say the least, and with our efforts complete, we were awarded certificates and decals by Project Aware...a great memento for our work.

However, unknown to the other Searaiders, the Project Aware fun was far from over. See...in my pocket I had another surprise, and to win this prize we had ourselves a drawing. Everyone wrote their name on the back of their decal and Britta, our DM, drew the lucky name.

And the winner is....Gavin....and what did he win? His very own, new in the tube, Project Aware 1000T Professional!!! Way to go Gav, and he was shocked and thrilled (as was everyone else), to say the least.

As we close this day with some Rum Punch around the Tiki Hut, I want to thank Project Aware for their efforts in generating awareness and creating the platform so people can organize and make a difference in ocean conservancy. Also a HUGE thanks to DOXA for partnering with Project Aware and recognizing our willingness to help, by providing the 1000T super prize. Thanks again to all!!
    Last edited by Jason71; November 19th, 2009 at 11:57.
    "The most beautiful objects are those built for purpose. Few things are more thrilling than the unrestrained use of tools most have mistaken for luxuries" -unknown

Re: Searaider 2009 (Part II)

Those are good times, and I bet that the story of the 2009 SeaRaiders has even better things in store. (although a drawing for a free watch is going to be tough to beat.) It looks as if you guys had a blast!! Looking forward to the next installment.

Congratulations Gavin, and thanks everyone for doing your part in keeping our Oceans clean

EDIT:

Ty, I was just thinking........When your SPG gave up the ghost and started taking on water.......Did it retain its accuracy, or did it completely fail??
    Last edited by Jason71; November 19th, 2009 at 13:08.
    Best Regards,
    Jason

Thumbs Up Re: Searaider 2009 (Part II)

I like it. Interesting Trip !

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Ty,
    Fantastic installment and amazing job with the PA project. The watch was brilliant. Congrats Gavin

Quote Originally Posted by jclevoy View Post
    Those are good times, and I bet that the story of the 2009 SeaRaiders has even better things in store. (although a drawing for a free watch is going to be tough to beat.) It looks as if you guys had a blast!! Looking forward to the next installment.

Congratulations Gavin, and thanks everyone for doing your part in keeping our Oceans clean

EDIT:

Ty, I was just thinking........When your SPG gave up the ghost and started taking on water.......Did it retain its accuracy, or did it completely fail??

No, the gauge continued to work fine. In fact it flooded on the very first dive and I continued to finish the day with it, as well as dive Monday's two dives with it. I guess I could have finished the trip out with it, but at the time I lost confidence because I didn't know if the needle would seize.

Just this morning I put it back on a hose to check, and it's still working fine. It's a little hard to read, since some of the water has evaporated and there's a salty slurry sloshing around inside. This afternoon, I'm taking it to the dive shop, to see if we can unscrew the bezel and clean it out. If so and all looks well, I'll see if I can source a new gasket and get it diving again.
    "The most beautiful objects are those built for purpose. Few things are more thrilling than the unrestrained use of tools most have mistaken for luxuries" -unknown

AWESOME....I can't wait to see more pics!!!

Quote Originally Posted by subkrawler View Post
    No, the gauge continued to work fine. In fact it flooded on the very first dive and I continued to finish the day with it, as well as dive Monday's two dives with it. I guess I could have finished the trip out with it, but at the time I lost confidence because I didn't know if the needle would seize.

Just this morning I put it back on a hose to check, and it's still working fine. It's a little hard to read, since some of the water has evaporated and there's a salty slurry sloshing around inside. This afternoon, I'm taking it to the dive shop, to see if we can unscrew the bezel and clean it out. If so and all looks well, I'll see if I can source a new gasket and get it diving again.
    I hope that you can get 'er up and running again. Please keep us posted
    Best Regards,
    Jason

Excellent post as usual and a fantastic gesture from Doxa for the prize

Cheers

Simon
    Too many watches

Ohhhh and a Doxa Sub Conquistador !!!!!!

Metropolitan Detroit (Or is it South Florida again?)

Well, I'm late checking in, but I just had to comment. First off, another great read and pics, thanks for that.

Now onto the phenomenal contribution of Doxa themselves! Congrats to Gavin, and Kudos to Doxa, both for partnering with PADI on the Project Aware program, and also for this VERY generaous donation! And let's not forget the Searaiders, who on a Caribbean vacation, took a part of their day to go and help this worthy cause. Class acts, one and all
    Regards, T Bone.

DOXA Forum and Sales Corner Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by T Bone View Post
    Well, I'm late checking in, but I just had to comment. First off, another great read and pics, thanks for that.

Now onto the phenomenal contribution of Doxa themselves! Congrats to Gavin, and Kudos to Doxa, both for partnering with PADI on the Project Aware program, and also for this VERY generaous donation! And let's not forget the Searaiders, who on a Caribbean vacation, took a part of their day to go and help this worthy cause. Class acts, one and all
    Thanks T, and even though the beach clean-up was work, it was the kind that gave you a very satisfied feeling at the end of the day. I'm hoping to make it a standard feature each year because with cruise ships, and Jamaica and Cuba in the general vicinity, there's always going to be plenty to pick up.

Thread Information