Searaider Camera Question

Thread: Searaider Camera Question

Searaider Camera Question

Guys, what kind of camera's do you have? I'm assuming from the photos last year that someone has a pretty decent underwater housing for a nice bit of kit.

There are a few images in the legends book that I blagged of the internet and can't find the owner so I'd like to try to duplicate them. Classic one of a diver silhouetted against the blue water and sky above which I'd like to try to replicate, for example.

So is anyone taking an underwater camera with them? I don't have one but I'll but a housing for my Canon A650 if necessary.

Pete

DOXA Forum Moderator subkrawler's Avatar

Re: Searaider Camera Question

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Peter Millar View Post
    Guys, what kind of camera's do you have? I'm assuming from the photos last year that someone has a pretty decent underwater housing for a nice bit of kit.

There are a few images in the legends book that I blagged of the internet and can't find the owner so I'd like to try to duplicate them. Classic one of a diver silhouetted against the blue water and sky above which I'd like to try to replicate, for example.

So is anyone taking an underwater camera with them? I don't have one but I'll but a housing for my Canon A650 if necessary.

Pete
    Pete,

I took the shots last year with my Nikon D80, housed in a Sea & Sea DXD80 housing. The Nikon is in the shop, and I'm sweating that I'll have it back in time for the rally. I love this rig, but it's huge and it's almost impossible to get wrist shots underwater with it. When you take it along, you're dedicating yourself to playing photographer. It's a monster(see below).

I had considered picking up a Sony Cyber-shot DSC-W300(13.6 megapixel) w/ the Marine Pack housing. I'll probably pull the trigger on one, since I'm trying to get more "low profile" in the camera department. The Sony can tuck away in a pocket and be pulled out when you need it. The Nikon...you're married to that baby for the entire dive.

I encourage anyone who's thinking about bringing an U/W camera, to do so. I want everyone to melt down this forum with pics, once we return.
    "The most beautiful objects are those built for purpose. Few things are more thrilling than the unrestrained use of tools most have mistaken for luxuries" -unknown

Metropolitan Detroit (Or is it South Florida again?)

Was hoping to have a new rig for the event, but it's not looking likely (so many priorities!). But I'll have at least one for above the water, and hope to get some good topside pics of the event .
    Regards, T Bone.

DOXA Forum and Sales Corner Moderator

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I'll be bringing my old trusty Sony DSC W80 and the Sony underwater case for it. Easy to use small enough to let it dangle of a bc and takes pretty good pictures, all around a good compromise. Randy
    Overtime: The fuel for the Doxaholic engine.

I'll bring my new SeaLife DC800 camera. It is quite compact and does get quite nice pictures. I don't have a strobe for it but I hope that the built-in flash does the trick when necessary!!
    Here's some samples of what it can do!! The first three pictures from Riviera Maya and the last two are from Chac Mool Cenote where DOXA SEAHUNTERS was recorded as presentat the end of July!!!
    I'll need some more advice from you guys cause I'm just a beginner in photography!!
    Michael
    Attached Images Attached Images

IGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The world is my oyster and I like the taste of it!

Thanks guys. Crikey, Ty your kit looks like something from the invasion of the tripod monsters... Superb.

I just bought an underwater housing for my A650 so hopefully there will be enough of us to come up with a few decent shots.

Pete

Pete ... I think you are covered ... Kathy and I are both bringing camera's with housings as well ... so that is 2 more, plust I am bringing my little video camera with housing.

We all got ya covered.
    John M.

Looking forward to some great pictures!

DOXA

Thread Information