B&R Resale/Trade Value
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: B&R Resale/Trade Value

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

B&R Resale/Trade Value

Hello,
    A good friend recently gave me his BR03Ė88-S as a gift because it was too big for him. Itís an amazing watch, but Iím not sure if itís for me. Iíve been testing the waters with it as a trade. Iíve gotten compliments on it, but no offers. Then tonight, I had someone tell me that: ďThe Bell & Ross have poor resale value as you may know.Ē Is this true, or was the guy just trying to play me?

Thanks,
    BB

B&R Resale/Trade Value

Considering you got it for free, youíre in a good spot. Anecdotal, but I picked up a new one grey market for $2700 and struggled to get $1900 for it less than 2 years later. Thatís a pretty big hit and wouldíve been exacerbated had I bought it from an AD. I still like the unique look as part of a larger collection, but itís an Ďonly pre-ownedí brand in my book. YMMV.

ETA: I bought a 03-92 Ceramic in the example above.
    Last edited by georgegervin44; 1 Week Ago at 05:20.
    BookBoy likes this.

Re: B&R Resale/Trade Value

The 03-88, having a generic quartz movement, probably has a lesser resale or trade value than a B&R automatic movement watch. The 03-88 was discontinued by B&R a few years ago, possibly for lack of sales.

jD
    Last edited by j.davis; 1 Week Ago at 05:00.
    BookBoy likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thank you, both! I put it on a NATO strap, and I’m liking it!

First, congrats on the gift. Second, why would you try to discard a gift so quickly without at least giving it a trial run for a month or two. Third, who cares what others say, everyone has an opinion. Most watches depreciate like any other mass-produced asset, and B&R is no different than some of the other big Swiss brands (Breitling, Tag, Omega, IWC, etc.)

BTW, most people don't pay msrp sticker prices on these watches, so you can't compare depreciation on that alone.
    ♛ Rolex | Ω Omega | Zenith | Bell & Ross | Dievas | Seiko
    WTB: Rolex Hulk

Quote Originally Posted by Powdernation View Post
    BTW, most people don't pay msrp sticker prices on these watches, so you can't compare depreciation on that alone.
    I disagree. Most people are clueless on value and I’d care to wager most pay full sticker price.

B&R Resale/Trade Value

B&R, like many brands in the entry-level luxury arena, suffer from poor resale value.

All that means is that youíre not likely to get close to MSRP when you resell. How much it will lose depends on the exact model as well as age/condition.
    Brad (@bradwatch)
    - appreciating fine affordable watches since 2011

Tyn

I personally view 'poor' resale value as an opportunity to get a great deal on the second hand market. It also opens the door to getting good discounts from ADs - no AD in their right mind would offer a discount for a certain brand that is known to sell at or above MSRP on the second hand market, for example.

Anecdotally, i think B&Rs dont suffer from any lower relative resale values than most other brands in their space. Perhaps the BR01 series dip a bit more because there is more demand for the BR03 sizes (which I assume given the proliferation of new BR03 models compared to BR01 one).

Quote Originally Posted by Tyn View Post
    I personally view 'poor' resale value as an opportunity to get a great deal on the second hand market. It also opens the door to getting good discounts from ADs - no AD in their right mind would offer a discount for a certain brand that is known to sell at or above MSRP on the second hand market, for example.

Anecdotally, i think B&Rs dont suffer from any lower relative resale values than most other brands in their space. Perhaps the BR01 series dip a bit more because there is more demand for the BR03 sizes (which I assume given the proliferation of new BR03 models compared to BR01 one).
    Well said! It is hard to judge a watch based on resale value because most things do depreciate in value because it is always based on supply and demand. Why would one want to pay you close to price of MSRP when he or she can get it at brand new? Only reason for doing so if its supply is limited and he or she cannot get it. How many of these watches are in demand and for how long? I would wager not many models and it is not forever.

Thus, your friend's statement on poor resale value is a naive one.

Around the world onboard cruise ship or back home in France 🇫🇷

Hey guys. What do you think I can get for my 03-92 stainless steel?
    I precise that we can not change the strap anymore because the leg where the small screw is got smashed. We donít see anything but the screw cannot get out.
    The watch is in very good condition otherwise.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast