How does Bell & Ross compare to Tag and Omega and the likes?
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: How does Bell & Ross compare to Tag and Omega and the likes?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

How does Bell & Ross compare to Tag and Omega and the likes?

Hi,
    I (thought) I decided on a Tag Carrera day/date but stumbled across a BR 126 Original (stunning watch!)

Now, I am back to the drawing board and also include BR into the short list.

My question, not knowing much about BR, how does BR compare to Tag's and Omegas and the like in terms of:

a) quality
    b) future depreciation in case I want to upgrade/swatch watches
    c) reputation as a luxury watch maker

Any thoughts are highly welcome.

Thanks

Re: How does Bell & Ross compare to Tag and Omega and the likes?

Ill focus in on Depreciation. I cant see many Tag's, Omega's keeping MSRP value. Very available and many have them, as far as B&R fits into the picture its lesser known but still, Id mention most watches depreciate (guesstimate 90% of them easy) the moment its bought like a car.

Id focus more so on making your purchase the RIGHT one with the idea of KEEPING a watch as opposed to worrying how much you can get for it if sold after you decide you didnt care for the choice you made.
    Chrlee3000 likes this.

I love the BR 126 as well just not sure I'd spend that kind of $ on it. I don't know anything about the brand though. I wonder what mvt they use.
    ALEXANDER SHOROKHOFF Vintage 2 #22/99 | ALKIN Model One Blue LE | ALPINA Startimer Quartz Chronograph | BLANCPAIN Bathyscaphe | BREITLING Jupiter Pilot | CASIO G-SHOCK DW5600 Rasta, DW5600HR, & GW-M6610 | FARER Eldridge Chrono, Lander & Pointing II LE #2/100 GMT's, Pendine Chrono | GSD 3A pilot | NODUS Retrospect | OMEGA Seamaster cal. 1040 | PELTONWatch Sector | SCURFA Bell Diver 1 PVD, DiverOne Gen I LE PVD Auto, DiverOne GenII X 6 :) | SINN 103 | SPINNACKER Tesei Bronze & Ti, Sorrento | SWATCH Irony Chrono | TOCKr Air Defender Blue & Panda LE | TRASKA Freediver | UNDONE AquaBlack Custom, UNDONExPEANUTS Press Edition & Tropical Sahara | ZENITH Cronometro CP2 WWP LE #43/50 | ZODIAC GrandRally |

Preordered: TOPPERS LE Seiko

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Bell & Ross is a relative new comer to watch making. The company started originally as the importer and distributor of Sinn watches to the U.S. market under their brand. They have focused on the military and tool watch market and did not start producing their own watches until a little over a decade ago. They have never produced their own movement.

Compared to TAG and in particular the pre-TAG Heuer, and Omega, they have no history or particular horological significance to speak of.

They make nice products, but it will take some time for them to have a reputation close to TAG Heuer and Omega.
    cheezy and J17I11 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Crmsnraider View Post
    Ill focus in on Depreciation. I cant see many Tag's, Omega's keeping MSRP value. Very available and many have them, as far as B&R fits into the picture its lesser known but still, Id mention most watches depreciate (guesstimate 90% of them easy) the moment its bought like a car.

Id focus more so on making your purchase the RIGHT one with the idea of KEEPING a watch as opposed to worrying how much you can get for it if sold after you decide you didnt care for the choice you made.
    Thank you for your feedback.

I do agree with your statement, that probably all watches are depreciating the moment you purchase them. Therefore, I dont really see a watch as an investment. That said, I do want to keep my option open in case I would lik to trade at a later stage (though this is definitely not one of the main purposes right now).

Ultimately, I am struggling with finding the right watch as I like several ones and I know that a purchase of this magnitude will be a once a year event (if even that).

Quote Originally Posted by Ray916MN View Post
    Bell & Ross is a relative new comer to watch making. The company started originally as the importer and distributor of Sinn watches to the U.S. market under their brand. They have focused on the military and tool watch market and did not start producing their own watches until a little over a decade ago. They have never produced their own movement.

Compared to TAG and in particular the pre-TAG Heuer, and Omega, they have no history or particular horological significance to speak of.

They make nice products, but it will take some time for them to have a reputation close to TAG Heuer and Omega.

Thank you for the information.

To be honest, I have read that same underlying statement about Raymond Weil watches too along the lines of 'fashion watches'.

Now, given that R&B is producing watches for certain purposes, does that mean that R&B's are not considered high end fashion watches?

Buy the watch YOU like most... Do not worry so much about which brand is better than which. In terms of quality I would say they are close. In terms of reputation the TAG over BR simply because TAG is way more established and known. Most people only know TAG, Rolex, and Omega.
    Instagram @lifeofawis
    www.lifeofawis.com

Suspended

B & R is behind tag and omega in quality and reputation IMO saying that i have been thinking about buying an br-02 blue dial for a while,but have heard a good few stories about them no being very reliable and problems with the movement.

In my opinion, I see Omega along with Breitling and Rolex as quality, (relatively) high end timepieces that are probably well known by the general public. I think each of those 3 have their "signature" look and generally have good reputations among the WIS.

TAG, on the other hand, I liken more to Raymond Weil, as an expensive fashion watch. With no other concrete evidence (beyond my opinion), I point to the fact that TAG has discontinued their only real, hardcore dive watch (and the only TAG that I really want), the Aquagraph.

As for Bell & Ross, I have owned several BR02's and just recently received another, with carbon case and Pro dial. I have never had a problem with any of my BR02's and the presentation is top notch. Also, the '02 I just got is currently running +2 seconds per day, so I don't think accuracy is lacking - the only automatic watch that I own that surpasses that mark is my chronometer-certified Breitling Steelfish, a watch that is well known for extraordinary accuracy.

The only knock I have against Bell & Ross, which is a bonus for you if you are looking for one, is that they don't hold their value well as compared to Omega or Breitling. I think their value on the secondary market is probably on par with TAG which is a minus to me as I consider Bell & Ross to be a superior product. I believe that Bell & Ross would do better, except that it is not a well known brand, even among the WIS.

Again, just my highly subjective opinion, FWIW. BTW, I have never had a problem with TAG, so my opinion is not based upon a bad experience with the watch or with service - I have just formed this opinion over years of buying/selling/trading watches in this range.
    Last edited by Klesk; January 19th, 2011 at 08:59.
    NRA Life Member
    NJKCA Honorary Member
    ==================
    Breitling Chrono Avenger
    Breitling Steelfish
    Breitling Super Avenger
    Casio GMWB5000D-1 Steel Square
    Casio GWG1000-1A3 Mudmaster
    Citizen BN7020
    Seiko SRP639
    Sinn UX
    Victorinox Swiss Army Airboss Mach IV

I think Bell & Ross is much better than Tag. Tag is purely a fashion watch. Bell & Ross is a new company, but they give a lot of deference and attention to the classic designs of the past with the intent of establishing themselves as a major serious player in the watch industry. I view Tag as a more expensive Swatch or Swiss army watch. Just my opinion, but an opinion shared by many others. Omega is a classic, Id say a step down from Rolex because there is a bit of "fashion watch" in the brand - possibly because they offer so many quartz models. They have many models that rival Rolex and many that compete with a coach quartz. Go with the Bell & Ross and enjoy it.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information