What's happening with the BR V1-92. Is no-one buying it?
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: What's happening with the BR V1-92. Is no-one buying it?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Just discovered this watch, and am quickly falling in love with the blue steel version. But after doing a bit of searching around, I just can't see much buzz about it, wrist shots etc.

I thought it'd be mad popular given it's officer-chic styling, price point and thinness.

Is it not as nice in real life, or are there better alternatives to it that I just haven't discovered yet? Also is the dial really as disco looking as this Mr Porter shot? Would prefer a more subdued blue, think it'd suit the style of watch better.

https://www.mrporter.com/en-us/mens/...83529957846150
    Last edited by Vanderlust; 2 Weeks Ago at 14:35.

Re: What's happening with the BR V1-92. Is no-one buying it?

Quote Originally Posted by Vanderlust View Post
    Just discovered this watch, and am quickly falling in love with the blue steel version. But after doing a bit of searching around, I just can't see much buzz about it, wrist shots etc.

I thought it'd be mad popular given it's officer-chic styling, price point and thinness.

Is it not as nice in real life, or are there better alternatives to it that I just haven't discovered yet? Also is the dial really as disco looking as this Mr Porter shot? Would prefer a more subdued blue, think it'd suit the style of watch better.

I could think of a couple of possible reasons (up for debate):
    1. Collectors or buyers would buy what is iconic or popular in that particular brand (herd mentality) like the RO for AP, reverso for JLC and the square for BR
    2. The BRV1 did not get as much exposure as the other timepieces like the BR03, BR05 and even the BRV2 collection in ads or media
    3. Current trend is in integrated bracelet models hence the release from multiple brands in this category (overshadowing the BRV1 even more so)

Therefore, i would say that buy what you love and not worry about what anyone else thinks. I've seen it in person and i would say that the dial has a nice blue sunburst that wouldnt describe as disco.
    Vanderlust likes this.

@ Shane, yes you know thinking about it that it does make sense. I guess if people want a Bell & Ross, they want an iconic square piece usually. Lots of other brands people would gravitate to if they're looking for something more paired back. Looks like B&R really nailed this style though. Have it coming tomorrow so will see how it is in person.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

You're searching in the wrong language. Search in French or Italian and you'll find it's very popular! The Anglosphere is only into Rolex, AP, anything iconic, etc.
    brandon\ likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by One-Seventy View Post
    You're searching in the wrong language. Search in French or Italian and you'll find it's very popular! The Anglosphere is only into Rolex, AP, anything iconic, etc.
    Didn't even consider that, my search has been really narrow come to think of it!

Got a call earlier to say the watch is being ordered in so won't have my hands on it until mid next week now. So reckon I'll do more digging his weekend. Just super interested in seeing it in the wild, some watches look great in cases, or even on narrow framed wrist shots, but not really that great worn with outfits. Hoping this piece is easy to wear and not an oddity in person.

I really like it. But why did they give it a snap-on caseback? That's a mark against it at the pricepoint, IMHO.

Yeah I wonder what the reasoning is behind that. Maybe it's purely aesthetic in keeping with the vintage styling. I can appreciate that. If it was purely a cost choice then I'd be less pleased. I wouldn't be tinkering with it anyway so won't affect me. Or so I think now. I tend to learn to do things myself instead of paying for them, like with bicycles for example.

Didn't even consider that, my search has been really narrow come to think of it!

Got a call earlier to say the watch is being ordered in so won't have my hands on it until mid next week now. So reckon I'll do more digging his weekend. Just super interested in seeing it in the wild, some watches look great in cases, or even on narrow framed wrist shots, but not really that great worn with outfits. Hoping this piece is easy to wear and not an oddity in person.
    It's about as classical as mid-century watch design gets. Nothing about it is odd; the proportions, build and finish, all sober and entirely conventional. I assume you bought it because you like the colour blue!

I was looking for a vintage watch originally but was put off by servicing costs so got a bit led astray and ended up trying more modern pieces. Later when I saw the V1 it just struck me as exactly what I'd been after. I'm unsure about the blue, in some photos it looks dark and muted, in others it looks bright blue. I'm thinking the bright blue is only when light hits it (hence the sun burst colour naming) and it's not like that in regular lighting conditions. Think it would totally ruin the watch if it was beaming that bright blue all the time.

Might go for the black faced version and put a brown strap on it if they've done something a bit OTT with the dial colour.

I do tend to like blue faced watches with brown straps - IWC Mark XVIII for example. Nice and casual looking. Can wear a £0000 watch around regular folk without offending. Stealth wealth and all that.

Compare

This look perfect. Totally nailed the classic officer-chic styling:

Name:  BRV192-BLU-ST_2FSCA_1575436774.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  133.0 KB

This looks a bit flamboyant:

Name:  v1.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  924.2 KB
    Last edited by Vanderlust; 1 Week Ago at 16:50.

It’s a very handsome and versatile watch. Damned near perfect dimensions. And the date is executed very well - the matching background color and vertical type. The only argument against it would be that it may be too run-of-the-mill when it comes to pedigree, movement, etc - but that is reflected in the price.

Edit: Speaking of the date, it would have been great for them to align it with the “automatic” text. But furthermore, they could have played with it even more. I know the ampersand is part of their branding, but they could have put the date in the circle between Bell and Ross and worked the ampersand in below “automatic” - printed, applied, embossed or debossed. It would have been interesting to see them play around with that.
    Last edited by brandon\; 1 Week Ago at 17:18.
    "Oh, nice. So now we're quoting other people to sound deep." -alx007

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast