410 / 410z Zenith Movement
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By GmtMasterIII
  • 1 Post By Hartmut Richter

Thread: 410 / 410z Zenith Movement

410 / 410z Zenith Movement

Hi All,

I have a few questions about the 410 / 410z movement from Zenith. I've read in a few different threads that there are some members on the forums with Zenith 410 movement pieces. I have a few questions about the movement since I am new specifically to Zenith watches.

I own a ChronoMaster from ~2000 with a 410z movement that I picked up a couple of months ago. My questions are:

- What are service intervals like on this movement? The piece I have was just serviced in April of this year.

- Is it ok to wind the watch everyday if I am not using it? It's just a pain to have to reset the calendar... wondering in terms of wear on the movement.

- A few times I've picked the watch up its been say a 20 minutes to a half hour slow, however, the day before I either didn't wear it at all or only gave it a partial wind. I am assuming this is normal as there are lot of mechanical movements that happens between midnight and 2am (day,date,moonphase, changes) which I'm guessing drain the reserve much more than a typical non-date movement or date only movement. Can anyone confirm that?

- When the power reserve is low, the watch winds loosely and then gets stiffer to wind as as it fills up. Is that typical for this movement?

- What is the durability of this movement been in your usage. Not really in regard to water resistance, anything with external pushers I'd never bring in water. I'm also not really talking about hard use on the watch. I'm asking in terms of being a daily wearer with the typical dings and bangs of wrist time.

Finally, here is a photo of this watch. It's really incredible the level of detail and finish work for the price. The black polished hands and individually applied romans give this such a rich feel. Very happy was was able to buy such a nice example just serviced.

Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images

WTSP likes this.

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Re: 410 / 410z Zenith Movement

A wonderful watch! If I ever swapped mine, it would be for the guilloche dial version (i.e. yours). To answer your questions as far as possible:

1. Mine had its last service at Zenith. That was ca. 10 years back. You can tell that it might be best to have it serviced now (it acts up a little, which is why I wear it infrequently these days) - but even then, it's still running and running better than quite a few watches I have known with that service interval

2. Perfectly OK if the watch is fairly wound down (see Point 4.) - that's what I do!

3. 20-30 minutes slow is rather too much! Either the watch stops or it loses rather less than that. I am afraid that it sounds like the last service wasn't really all that professional.....

4. This has apparently been fixed but the older versions of the movement act like that. I don't wind it manually if I meet stiff resistance that can only be overcome by "crunching"

5. See Point 1. A very durable movement, once properly serviced

Hartmut Richter

Quote Originally Posted by Hartmut Richter View Post

3. 20-30 minutes slow is rather too much! Either the watch stops or it loses rather less than that. I am afraid that it sounds like the last service wasn't really all that professional.....

4. This has apparently been fixed but the older versions of the movement act like that. I don't wind it manually if I meet stiff resistance that can only be overcome by "crunching"

Hartmut Richter
    Hi Hartmut,

Thanks for replying... I was hoping you would chime in as I know from other posts you also had a ChronoMaster.

So a follow up to 3 and 4:

3: If the watch is wound fully each day (or I wear it for a full day), it keeps perfect time. I don't have an exact measurement, but I know there is no deviation in time each day when I check a reference time. It's only when the power reserve drains down that it runs slow. Whenever it does run slow, the resistance when winding is very loose and almost non-existent. And like mentioned, as the reserve increases, the winding gets stiffer. So I can tell that the reserve is very low.

The watch was serviced in April in Le Locle by Zenith. From what I've read in some of the service posts, that's the place to send it (as opposed to the NJ US service center). So I assume it did get a proper service. But again, I'm new specifically to Zenith, so I am unaware of some of the nuances of their movements.

4: Good advice about winding. I'll make sure that when I meet a fair amount of risistance to leave it be. Though I never quite experince any "crunching" (that I know of), I do hear an audible "click" when I get to a certain point which I assume means the reserve is full and the watch is fully wound. I have experienced that same audible "click" sound with other pieces I've had such as a Speedmaster Reduced which had an eta on top of a Depraz Chrono module. Am I correct to assume that it's an indication of a full reserve?

Thanks again for providing your expertise in the matter.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

If yours loses 20-30 minutes when it's extremely low on power, I still say that something is wrong. At the very least, it is indicative of disastrous isochronism (i.e. when adjusted, the watch was very far away from the point of isochronism). Are you sure that the watch didn't just stop altogether and when you picked it up again, started ticking?! It would make more sense.....

When I wear mine and the power reserve has ben built up, I find some resistance when I try to manually wind it. It's as if there was something actually blocking the winding by crown. If I "force" the watch, I hear and feel a slight crunch, whereupon the watch immediately starts winding freely by hand, as if the resistance hadn't been there in the first place. This is different to the winding being equally stiff when high on power reserve. I presumed that this is what you meant. When the watch is fully wound, I can still wind it manually (as I should be able to) but don't really notice any definite clicking, although it becomes slightly more ratchety.

Hope that helps,

Hartmut Richter
    GmtMasterIII likes this.

I think you're on to something there. It's more likely the watch stops then when I pick it up starts again. I usually only check that the day and date have clicked over and I don't usually check the time until later. So this is certainly a possibility of what is happening and definitely makes sense.

It's interesting that you've never heard that clicking sound. It happens on the same revolution on wind every time in perfect cadence. I've heard this same click on other watches I've owned.

Anyway thanks for the information you provided here. Really helps in my understanding of the movement.

Thread Information