50th Anniversary El Primero A384 Revival - Sleepless in Vancouver!
Like Tree72Likes

Thread: 50th Anniversary El Primero A384 Revival - Sleepless in Vancouver!

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

50th Anniversary El Primero A384 Revival - Sleepless in Vancouver!

Dropped by Time & Gold here in Vancouver today, to enquire about a steel bracelet for another watch. I never dreamed of walking out with a new Zenith on my wrist. We got talking about all watches, as we normally do, and when it came to Zenith, I was told they had received the new El Primero A384 Revival. To be honest, I was rather unenthusiastic - although I did really want to see the watch in real life - because I had almost given up on finding a cushion shape case in any make or model that I would find suitable. And I had briefly read reviews on the A384. However, I was still pouting about the 50th Anniversary A386 lack of availability both in number and in case material. I never thought I would even see one in real life. I have long been a fan of the Chronomaster El Primero Original 1969 38mm based on the A386, and thought the A386 Revival would be perfect. But I realized it was not to be.

Well, when I first saw the A384 today in it's case, I was blown away. I don't know where to start really. The Panda dial is a vivid white background - unlike most photos, which make it look greyish or off white, with pure black subdials that have white hands. And the true red chronograph hand with the rectangular tip, true to the original, just contrast beautifully. And the black tachymetre track around the outside of the dial, brings everything together perfectly. And the size!!! The case, at 37mm, does admittedly fit larger, but it is still not large. If that make sense. It looks absolutely stunning on the wrist - not just my wrist, but I am sure on any wrist - the proportions are absolutely perfect. Could they really have got it that right back in 1969?! I normally don't look at any watch I am trying on, in the mirror, but this one just looks so perfect. And the beautiful leather/crocodile leather strap with rubber lining suits it perfectly. Although, the vintage style ladder type steel bracelet I see in photos looks great as well. Anyway, even the tang buckle is period perfect.

The only hints that this is not vintage are the sapphire crystal ( original was acrylic ) and sapphire case back. The original had a rather plain case back with the Zenith star embossed over the entire back. I normally prefer a solid case back on watches, but with Zenith El Primero I am more than willing to forgive the sapphire back. Especially since the rotor is so beautifully done with the Zenith star cutout. And the rest of the case back is beautifully engraved with "50th Anniversary Edition" at the bottom and "1969 - 2019" on the top. I don't know quite how they manage it, but the case back is screwed in so that the text is perfectly aligned top and bottom. And, of course, the El Primero 400 movement is the latest.

I must also mention that the sapphire crystal is identical in shape to the original, and it does give that magnificent distortion at the edges.

I never thought that I would see a Zenith model with the El Primero 400 movement that would impress me more than the A386/Chronomaster El Primero. Time was definitely on my side when I waited, not knowing this would be the one. While I love the tri-color subdials on the A386, and I am not usually a fan of the Panda dial, this one just tops any Zenith I have seen so far. I also own a Pilot Cronometro Tipo CP-2 Bronze which is gorgeous, and an Pilot Big Date Special, but this one tops even those. It is undoubtedly the nicest vintage or vintage revival watch I have ever seen in real life.

Not going into any more detail on this watch. There are countless excellent online reviews from Basel 2019, which I simply can't top for content and accuracy. I just know that this watch is a true gem, and it will very likely become No.1 in my personal collection.

Here are a few photos I took having got the watch rather late in the day. I can't wait until to get some better pics tomorrow:

Name:  A384.jpg
Views: 447
Size:  624.9 KB

Name:  A384 1.jpg
Views: 432
Size:  563.6 KB

Name:  A384 3.jpg
Views: 435
Size:  529.8 KB

Name:  A384 4.jpg
Views: 432
Size:  664.5 KB

Name:  A384 5.jpg
Views: 420
Size:  317.8 KB

Name:  A384 6.jpg
Views: 416
Size:  545.5 KB

Thanks to Ryan, Juanita and Ben at Time & Gold here in Vancouver. Once again proving it is one of my favorite places to spend time. I am just so overwhelmed by this watch and so thankful that they received it from Zenith. Thanks for looking at my review.

Cheers,
    Carl
    Those who possess a sense of entitlement are seldom satis​fied.

Re: 50th Anniversary El Primero A384 Revival - Sleepless in Vancouver!

congrats and wear it in good health
    carlhaluss likes this.
    Omega the sign of Excellence since 1848. Jaeger Le Coultre Horlogerie de Luxe depuis 1833
    22 times Olympic games timekeeper, Nasa watch supplier and holder of several world records of precision, Omega has the world's trust
    Omega and Rolex for ever
    Eterna Nothing but Watchmaking since 1856
    Zenith Swiss Watchmaking and Chronometry champion since 1865

Congratulations, it's simply beautiful.
    carlhaluss likes this.
    Vanitas vanitatum et omnia vanitas, praeter ...

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

What’s the “ lug to lug “ on that beauty?

What a beauty!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    carlhaluss likes this.

Wow, that is a cool watch. And the pics are amazing as always Carl. Congrats!
    carlhaluss likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by georges zaslavsky View Post
    congrats and wear it in good health
    Thanks, Georges. I will be 70 soon, so good health permitting I will be able to enjoy this amazing watch for many years to come!

Quote Originally Posted by sempervivens View Post
    Congratulations, it's simply beautiful.
    Thanks. It's beauty hit me immediately I first saw it in real life yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by jmanlay View Post
    What’s the “ lug to lug “ on that beauty?
    Just measured, as I could find no official figures for either lug to lug or lug width:
    lug to lug is 47mm
    lug width is 19mm
    case size is 37mm. Because of the case shape, I had to measure for myself, and it really is 37mm, not including crown and pushers of course.
    case thickness 12.6mm

Quote Originally Posted by too solid View Post
    What a beauty!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks. Possibly - and IMO - the nicest of the El Primero 50th Anniversary revival pieces

Quote Originally Posted by marcusp23 View Post
    Wow, that is a cool watch. And the pics are amazing as always Carl. Congrats!
    Thank You! Gonna spend the day with my new watch today, and take lots more pics.
    zetaplus93 likes this.
    Those who possess a sense of entitlement are seldom satis​fied.

Quote Originally Posted by carlhaluss View Post

Just measured, as I could find no official figures for either lug to lug or lug width:
    lug to lug is 47mm
    lug width is 19mm
    case size is 37mm. Because of the case shape, I had to measure for myself, and it really is 37mm, not including crown and pushers of course.
    case thickness 12.6mm

So essentially perfect size wise ...
    Thanks for the measurements
    carlhaluss likes this.

Congrats @carl
    carlhaluss likes this.

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

A wonderful watch! What I find interesting is the polished lugs contrasting with a satinised case.....

Hartmut Richter
    carlhaluss likes this.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread Information