A384 revival vs Chronomaster 38mm WATER RESISTANCE
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: A384 revival vs Chronomaster 38mm WATER RESISTANCE

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Confused A384 revival vs Chronomaster 38mm WATER RESISTANCE

Hi Fellas,

Not sure if this have been discussed before. Anyway, I am doing my research on A384 Revival, my particular interest with this model is the utilization of a screw-down caseback. I have never been a fan of the production chronomaster's little screws fitted caseback, that was a big concern stopping me from shopping for an El Primero. Meanwhile, both a A384 Revival and a Chronomaster have a pull-out crown IIRC?

But then, I am surprised to find out that A384, despite of the screw-down caseback, actually has a lower WR rating (5 bar) than Chronomaster (10 bar).

Has any member taken a closer look to these two yet? Is it more o-rings on the crown/pushers for the chronomaster, or simply Zenith is playing it safe and rate the A384 very conservatively this time?

I know that according to Zenith official website, their 5 bar WR is already sufficient for swimming, while 10 bar WR is apparently good for "any water sports". But my WIS part of me still wants to understand how it works, for a peace of mind.

Welcome any inputs!
    Homo Sapien X likes this.

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Re: A384 revival vs Chronomaster 38mm WATER RESISTANCE

Welcome to Watchuseek! I can't contribute much but can only say that, without a screw down crown, I would never even shower with a watch, let alone go swimming with it. As for how you can make a non-screw down crown watch waterproof, I believe that Seiko improve the water resistance of their watches by placing seals on the winding stem. So, since the stem is always inside the crown tube, it will prevent watch ingression never mind whether the crown is pulled out (and the seals a little closer to the opening) or pushed in.

Hartmut Richter
    fskywalker likes this.

I don't think screw-down crowns or casebacks are necessary for water resistance; per Hartmut's post, it's really all about the various seals & gaskets. The problem w/chronos has always been the pushers, which require even more seals/gaskets, but chronos w/good WR exist even without screw-down pushers as seen on a Rolex Daytona or Tudor Big Block/Tiger. For example, my Damasko 56 Si has 10 bar WR & the pushers can even be operated underwater (unlike the Daytona or Tudor chronos w/similar casing). Not being an engineer, my guess would be that Zenith found it easier to put better seals in the Chronomaster because it's a newer case design, whereas they were relatively handicapped when making the A384 & A386 Revivals because of their faithfulness to the original 1960s case designs.

As a practical matter, even if you're not swimming w/the watch, even 3 bar WR is fine for most real world situations, like errant splashes, getting caught in the rain, & even rinsing the watch under the faucet for cleaning (based on my personal experience).
    fskywalker and omeglycine like this.
    ------------------------------------

(Almost) every watch a tool watch.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Hartmut Richter View Post
    Welcome to Watchuseek! I can't contribute much but can only say that, without a screw down crown, I would never even shower with a watch, let alone go swimming with it. As for how you can make a non-screw down crown watch waterproof, I believe that Seiko improve the water resistance of their watches by placing seals on the winding stem. So, since the stem is always inside the crown tube, it will prevent watch ingression never mind whether the crown is pulled out (and the seals a little closer to the opening) or pushed in.

Hartmut Richter
    Thank you Hartmut, for your kind input.

Usually I take an "One Step Down" approach with any watch's official WR claim. For instance, if the A384 comes with a 5 bar WR and claims to be "suitable for swimming", I shall comfortably have it splashed or rained upon occasionally without worrying too much. A 3-bar dress watch, on the other hand, even though theoretically speaking it can handle hand wash splashes, I would never let it near any water presence, I would not even wear it on a rain-forecasted day.
    fskywalker likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by drunken-gmt-master View Post
    I don't think screw-down crowns or casebacks are necessary for water resistance; per Hartmut's post, it's really all about the various seals & gaskets. The problem w/chronos has always been the pushers, which require even more seals/gaskets, but chronos w/good WR exist even without screw-down pushers as seen on a Rolex Daytona or Tudor Big Block/Tiger. For example, my Damasko 56 Si has 10 bar WR & the pushers can even be operated underwater (unlike the Daytona or Tudor chronos w/similar casing). Not being an engineer, my guess would be that Zenith found it easier to put better seals in the Chronomaster because it's a newer case design, whereas they were relatively handicapped when making the A384 & A386 Revivals because of their faithfulness to the original 1960s case designs.

As a practical matter, even if you're not swimming w/the watch, even 3 bar WR is fine for most real world situations, like errant splashes, getting caught in the rain, & even rinsing the watch under the faucet for cleaning (based on my personal experience).
    That are some very logical inference, my good sir. The new case design part is making perfect sense I suppose.

FWIW, I have just purchased the A384 today. Will be comfortable to know that with the 5-bar WR, I can at least do the dishwashing without concerns about errant splashes!

Quote Originally Posted by kevinmosto View Post
    That are some very logical inference, my good sir. The new case design part is making perfect sense I suppose.

FWIW, I have just purchased the A384 today. Will be comfortable to know that with the 5-bar WR, I can at least do the dishwashing without concerns about errant splashes!

Congrats, enjoy!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by NiceWatchMr1 View Post
    Congrats, enjoy!
    great combo with the ladder bracelet. Wear it in good health!
    fskywalker likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by NiceWatchMr1 View Post
    Congrats, enjoy!
    I love the case and the size seems great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    fskywalker likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by kevinmosto View Post

Congrats on the purchase!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Francisco
    Ω 2504.52 / 168.022 / 2201.50 / 2232.30 / 231.90.39.21.04.001
    ♛ 16610 / 18239
    ★ 03.2150.400

The case back on the Revival is much different than the current chronomaster series. On the A384 /A386 Revivals, the entire case-back screws into the case, where on the current chronomaster series, there are individual screws which secure the case-back to the case. The Revival series; according to Zenith has a lower WR rating. I/m sure they wanted to revivals to be exact to the original historical pieces.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information