buying a NOS chronomaster, service required?
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: buying a NOS chronomaster, service required?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

I am tempted to pull the trigger on a NOS chronomaster (2012). It is unworn and in stickers.

Its a discontinued model and have been looking for this one for some time. Any advice if a unworn watch of that age needs service straight away?

I understand chronographs are delicate and better service too early and too late, but im not sure if i would buy a Chronomaster in seals that needs to be send to service straight away.

If the above answer is yes, would a partial or full service be required?

Im not sure what the risk would be to just wear it without servicing, but i guess no one has the answer to this.
    fskywalker likes this.

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Re: buying a NOS chronomaster, service required?

Mine went for ten years without a service and still did reasonably well. So you have a year or two. Since it hasn't been running, you can probably extend that a little. But I would not wear that watch for ten years without a service. Also, it depends on how well it runs when you start it up - and there is unfortunately no way of telling before you get it. Will it have some sort of warranty on it when you get it?

Hartmut Richter
    fskywalker likes this.

I have a related question so I figured I'd ask here instead of starting a new thread. I have an 8-year old el primero, and I just started wearing it again after many years. After a day (14 hrs) of wearing, the timegrapher still shows just a 250-260 amplitude across positions? is this normal? (beat error is low, 0.1-0.3 across positins, and rate is fine for me: -2 to +8 across positions)

I am fairly active so my Valjoux 7750 based watch gets to 300 amplitude in just a full day of wear from being started in the morning, so I am wondering if the EP400 is just a more sluggish winder or it needs a service soon

thanks
    fskywalker likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Hartmut Richter View Post
    Mine went for ten years without a service and still did reasonably well. So you have a year or two. Since it hasn't been running, you can probably extend that a little. But I would not wear that watch for ten years without a service. Also, it depends on how well it runs when you start it up - and there is unfortunately no way of telling before you get it. Will it have some sort of warranty on it when you get it?

Hartmut Richter
    Thanks for the response.

There is one year warranty and a return period. I preferably would not use the warranty because it is their inhouse repair staff and i do not know if they have access to the correct materials.

10 years sounds reasonable...
    fskywalker likes this.

lvt

Once serviced it won't be chronometer any more.
    fskywalker likes this.
    Ball - Casio / G-shock - HMT - Longines - Parnis - Seagull - Seiko - Steinhart - Tissot - Victorinox - Yema

Quote Originally Posted by lvt View Post
    Once serviced it won't be chronometer any more.

????? You could equally well say that, without a service, it won't be a chronometer after 20 years when it runs so badly that it would never pass the test.

Whether a watch performs like a chronometer depends on 2 factors: (i) inherent quality and (ii) state of servicing. Once properly serviced, (ii) has been rectified and unless vital parts are exchanged for ones of inferior quality, (i) should remain throughout the life of the watch or at least for a very long time.

I'd rather have it serviced at regular intervals.....

Hartmut Richter
    fskywalker likes this.

At 250-260° amplitude, it seems to want a service. As for the Valjoux, if that has also been serviced 8 years ago last time, it would be comparable - otherwise it may well not be a surprise that it has the greater amplitude.

Hartmut Richter
    fskywalker likes this.

I would say if You are planning to wear the watch every day, it might be a good idea to have it serviced right away. It will make you sleep well, and the watch will give the best performance. If you will wear it only on special occasions, I would not have it opened, unless it performs below COSC standard.

I don't think that servicing will ruin chronometric capabilities, on the contrary: my current daily wearer cal. 135 keeps amazing time (+-1s) after being serviced recently (before I put it in daily use). In fact, it easily outperforms my COSC certified Chronomaster...

Regards, Acme
    Last edited by Acme; January 30th, 2020 at 21:27.
    fskywalker likes this.

Thanks for the tips.

Placed the order, will arrive next week.

Now just have to figure out how to size the double screw sided bracelet. There is little to no information available on the web. If anyone knows the right size screwdrivers...would be great.
    fskywalker likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Chingoo View Post
    Thanks for the tips.

Placed the order, will arrive next week.

Now just have to figure out how to size the double screw sided bracelet. There is little to no information available on the web. If anyone knows the right size screwdrivers...would be great.
    Congrats on your purchase. I use on my El Primero chronomaster a Rolex 2100 1.6 MM and a Bergeon 1.6 MM screwdriver (need 2 screwdrivers to remove or install a link)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by fskywalker; February 1st, 2020 at 16:23.
    Francisco
    Ω 2504.52 / 168.022 / 2201.50 / 2232.30 / 231.90.39.21.04.001
    ♛ 16610 / 18239
    ★ 03.2150.400

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information