Date changes at 3am is it an issue
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Date changes at 3am is it an issue

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Date changes at 3am is it an issue

Hi fellow members, I recently bought a watch from another member on WUS. We are having a dispute about an issue with the watch. The watch in question is a Zenith Chronometre Chronomaster. The date changes around 3-4am in the morning as opposed to midnight. After writing to the seller, he confirmed the behaviour was the same during his care and doesn't think it is an issue because most of us are asleep when that happens. He also refused my request for a refund even after I offered to pay for the shipping, ignored several of my emails and wish me good luck with the watch. I asked my watchsmith and was told that it was due in part to the quick set date was often adjusted outside of the 3-9 window and therefore caused it to slip over time.

I have a few questions that I would like to ask:

1. Do you consider it an issue?
    2. If so, is it reasonable to expect the seller to disclose it?
    3. What resolution if any would you consider?

Many thanks all.
    Last edited by ap1984; July 30th, 2019 at 04:02.

Re: Date changes at 3am is it an issue

I would consider it an issue that should be disclosed. The resolution would involve either the seller refunding the purchase price or a refund to cover the repair if you chose to keep it.

My Seiko 5 Titanium is like this also and they say you shouldn't mess with the time during those hours. This is not considered a problem or issue with the movement though.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

So it is a maintenance issue and not a design flaw? If yes, he should have disclosed it. I think you give him one more chance, letting him know you will leave a bad review if he continues to stonewall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

If the date changed regularly at the same time every day, I personally wouldn't care, as it will always be correct during the hours that I would be looking at it, and even if I were up late, I would be aware that it was late changer. If he had known about the issue (which he had, apparently), he should have mentioned it. Is this a big enough issue for you to return it? Depends on how much money you paid, and how important it is to you--I am guessing you got a good price on it, and date issue aside, may not have bonded with it, and combined with the date, would really rather not own it after all. I would argue the non-disclosure fact when either trying to get a partial refund, or a full return--but again, I wouldn't bother if I liked the watch, as I really wouldn't care about the after midnight date change.

Thanks all. Seems like majority agree it's an issue which should be disclosed.

Did your watchmaker actually open up the watch to offer that kind of explanation? If not, it appears to be a wild stab in the dark that is more likely explained by the hands being set in the wrong position.
    Brad (@bradwatch)
    - appreciating fine affordable watches since 2011

EHV

+1 Can't assume that it was the seller's fault unless you have definitive proof. That said, I thoink that it should have been disclosed. I am not familiar with this Zenith so, no clue if other models have this "flaw".

If it bothers you enough then you will have to file a dispute. If you got it at a good price, perhaps a service to correct the issue, (if it bothers you enough) would be the route to go.

Otherwise, I see this on Seiko's every day but never on a high(er) end Swiss watch. It may happen but I'm not sure of the prevalence.

Quote Originally Posted by Bradjhomes View Post
    Did your watchmaker actually open up the watch to offer that kind of explanation? If not, it appears to be a wild stab in the dark that is more likely explained by the hands being set in the wrong position.

EHV

As mentioned in my post above, as well as countless others here, this is normal behavior for a Seiko.

I don't think that I've ever had one that snapped over at 12AM, (never owned a Grand Seiko though) and with the day/date complications, that's a true, slow burn change.

Quote Originally Posted by expLr-2 View Post
    My Seiko 5 Titanium is like this also and they say you shouldn't mess with the time during those hours. This is not considered a problem or issue with the movement though.

Quote Originally Posted by ap1984 View Post

I have a few questions that I would like to ask:

1. Do you consider it an issue?
    2. If so, is it reasonable to expect the seller to disclose it?
    3. What resolution if any would you consider?

Many thanks all.
    1. yes and no. it depends on cause. if this is because of hands were set wrong, then it is not an issue really - any watchmaker can fix this in 15 minutes. if something happened to date mechanism, yes, it's an issue, but then from what I remember in most cases when you f..ked with date setting outside safe hours, date does not changes at all.
    2. if he thinks this behaviour is normal, then no. why would I disclose something that is normal in my view ;) yes, this would lead to a lot of misunderstandings, but hey, for example I bought watch and to close clasp I have to push both buttons (this is just hypothetical), but then it appears that "normally" one should close clasp just by closing it and not use buttons. So, when I sell this watch I do not disclose this "feature" because of in my view it is normal behaviour. buyer, from other hand might think different :)
    3. I would ask watchmaker to assess is it date change mechanism fault or just hand misalignment and go from there. If this is latter, then it's easy fix, if former I might return or ask to cover repairs.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information