• 2 Post By blondeshot24
  • 4 Post By Hartmut Richter
  • 2 Post By WTSP
  • 1 Post By Alpental
  • 1 Post By Hartmut Richter

Thread: Defy Classic Skeleton Accuracy?

Defy Classic Skeleton Accuracy?

Hello all,

Strongly considering a new one of these but when I read the documentation Zenith states that +/- 10 seconds a day or 4-5 minutes a month is within spec. I think I would be pretty disappointed if I order one and it runs at 9-10 seconds a day and be stuck with that since it would be within "spec"

For those of you who own one, what type of accuracy are you seeing from the movement?

Thanks in advance!
    turbineboy and fskywalker like this.
    Own:
    Sinn U1-T Full Tegimented
    Deep Blue Daynight 32 T-100 AutomaticCitizen Calibre 5700 AT1000-50E
    Citizen Nighthawk BJ7005-59E
    Citizen Proximity AT7030-05E
    Obris Morgan Branco
    Alaska Titanium Diver
    Casio SGW300-1AV
    Orient Eminence
    Orient EM5L-C0
    Polar FT4

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Re: Defy Classic Skeleton Accuracy?

Once more (I have said this on many previous occasion): please don't mistake accuracy with consistency. A watch losing or gaining 30 seconds a day, every day, without fail is rather better than one running at ±0 seconds on average but deviating around this by 20 seconds (from -10 to +10). To get the former spot on requires only a twist of the regulator screw on the balance cock, to get the latter spot on requires a major service, possibly parts replacement or even a redesign of the movement.

Since the El Primero isn't COSC certified in most versions these days, Zenith are mainly guarding themselves against extreme values with those figures. The important ones are the deviations between daily rates and those shoud definitely be around 10 seconds/day maximum (between successive days, i.e. deviating between -5 and +5 or between 0 and +10 or so, or alternatively put: maximum deviation of a daily rate from the mean daily rate should be 5 seconds) - and in many cases, they are rather less than that. My last El Primero service left mine running between 0 and +2.5 seconds/day with a mean daily rate of ca. +1.0 second/day.

Hartmut Richter

Defy Classic Skeleton Accuracy?

Isn’t the Defy Classic Skeleton an Elite based model?
    bt_90 and fskywalker like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by blondeshot24 View Post
    Hello all,

Strongly considering a new one of these but when I read the documentation Zenith states that +/- 10 seconds a day or 4-5 minutes a month is within spec. I think I would be pretty disappointed if I order one and it runs at 9-10 seconds a day and be stuck with that since it would be within "spec"

For those of you who own one, what type of accuracy are you seeing from the movement?

Thanks in advance!
    I haven't checked in a while, but when I tracked my Defy Classic for the first few weeks of ownership, it seemed to be running pretty consistently @ -5 Seconds/day. I was very pleased with this, as it was just outside of COSC and very consistent day to day.
    fskywalker likes this.
    Current Watches: Rolex Submariner Date 116610; Rolex Datejust 41 126300; Zenith Defy Classic Black Ceramic; Zenith El Primero Chronomaster 42mm; Hamilton Khaki Field Mechanical; Seiko 'Turtle' SRP779; Casio G-Shock DW-5600E

Past Watches:
    Rolex Submariner No-Date 114060; Rolex Submariner Hulk 116610LV; Rolex Submariner 16610; Rolex Explorer II 16570; Rolex Datejust 1601; Tudor Black Bay Red ETA; Omega Speedmaster Professional 3570.50; Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean 2201.50; Omega Seamaster 300m Professional 2531.80; Omega Seamaster 300 Master Co-Axial; IWC Mark XVI; NOMOS Metro Datum Gangreserve 1101; NOMOS Metro Datum 1102; NOMOS Orion Anthracite 307; Seiko 'Turtle' SRP777; Seiko SKX007

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

You are quite correct but most of what I wrote applies to the Elite as well - and in fact to any watch and movement.

Hartmut Richter
    fskywalker likes this.

Thread Information