WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

do certain watch straps change in color?

203 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  aznseank 
#1 ·
I purchased a new navy zenith leather strap around 3 month ago. At first, I hated the color because it was far too blue and close to teal. It wasn't navy or dark navy. Interestingly, I noticed today that it has turned dark navy. Am I imagining things or does oxidation of the leather turn it to its intended color over time?

#2 ·
Leather straps that aren't black will sooner or later darken. How soon that occurs depends on what they're exposed to, how frequently they're exposed to those things, and the leather's tanning, dying and coating methods and materials.

They don't change color in the sense of going, say, from red to blue.

#3 ·
So exposure to sunlight, possibly finger grease, and oxidation can turn bluish teal leather strap to dark navy? I do distinctly remember when they replaced my strap at the boutique, the color was disgusting bluish teal and I thought I made a grave mistake. I also remember that they sorta of took it out of a plastic wrap that seemed to have limited the leather's exposure to oxygen. All in all, I am pretty happy. Just yesterday, I was thinking about ordering a navy strap from camille fournet to replace the zenith one. Saved money I guess. Anyone here experienced anything similar?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.