Everything beyond the vintage Zenith watch: 1900 era wonders
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Zenithconnoisseur
  • 1 Post By sempervivens

Thread: Everything beyond the vintage Zenith watch: 1900 era wonders

Everything beyond the vintage Zenith watch: 1900 era wonders

Hello all, attached 3 items from the 1900 era. Who else is collecting beyond the watch? I would be delighted to see some of those items. Have a nice weekend !

Picture 1: I would like to take you back to November 1912. Starting the weekend with a bold and daring statement: we are looking at one of the most remarkable watch advertisement ever made, but we can back up the claim. I consulted @laffichheure for this post as he is very knowledgeable in this specific field. You will see this advertisement circulating on the internet but almost all of them are reprints, referring to the old glory days. The example in this picture from my collection is actually from 1912- authentic- and in very well preserved condition. @laffichheure confirmed the piece is created by Capiello Leonetto and was printed by Établissement Vercasson Paris. Capiello (1875-1942) is seen the father of modern advertising with both Italian and French roots. He produced over 530 advertising posters throughout his career and his legacy is still sought after and sold at auction houses throughout the world ( Rennert, Capiello: the posters of Leonetto Capiello). It can be found on page 22 in Rössler but with the wrong time stamp- this work has been available before 1920. Unfortunately, this is something collectors noted previously about Rössler, the timeline is not always coherent. Furthermore, it can be seen in Duval (page 57). Happy to see none of the Zenith literature skipped this exciting piece of history !

Picture 2: Today I would like to take you back to the 12th of May, 1912 with a collector's item out of my private collection. This more than hundred year old postcard is pictured on page 45 of Duval (left picture) with the subscription: "Zenith @zenithwatches conquering every continent" and they sure did: whether it were the watches in trenches of the first and second world war, the first aviation endeavours, the first railroads, expeditions and even recently in space : Zenith and their adventurous spirit and historical figures (such as Amundsen, Gandhi, Blériot and JFK) were there, indeed pushing the boundaries of what was previous thought humanly possible.
    Watchmakers used those postcards back in the days to tell their clients when they could pick up their beloved watch after the skilled craftsman brought it back to life. This card was sent to a "Monsieur and Madame" by a watch repair shop (horlogerie) from Vierzon, France.

Picture 3: Toolbox from metal. Cadran means dial in French, so I suppose the watchmaker kept his stock in here.

Sent from my BV9500Plus using Tapatalk
    sempervivens likes this.

Re: Everything beyond the vintage Zenith watch: 1900 era wonders

Very interesting, so that is Capiello's signature? What are the figures, are they personifications of night and day or dawn and sunset or...?
    Zenithconnoisseur likes this.
    Vanitas vanitatum et omnia vanitas, praeter ...

Re: Everything beyond the vintage Zenith watch: 1900 era wonders

Yes , it is the signature. If you search for his work you can also find a Longines advertising and for example one of Campari with a similar signature. I am not sure about the precise interpretation but I really like your description!

Sent from my BV9500Plus using Tapatalk

Thread Information