Found a Zenith with black dial ca 1941 movement 3391655

Thread: Found a Zenith with black dial ca 1941 movement 3391655

Found a Zenith with black dial ca 1941 movement 3391655

Case number 8391941 look at how the number is stamped on the case ?? the dial and hands has Patina and seems original a black dial back then seems realistic ? Caliber 106 ?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Re: Found a Zenith with black dial ca 1941 movement 3391655

No, it's actually a Cal. 12-4 from ca. 1941-42 (as you stated already). That predates the Cal. 106 as well as the Cal. 126. It looks as if it might have been intended for military use but it lacks distinctive military markings (DH around the serial number or something similar).

http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-...enith_12_4_P_0

It is a little strange that it has a star on the dial. A long time ago, we had a discussion on this and sempervivens pointed out that the star didn't come into use until later (second half of the forties). As such, it could be a redial (especially as it has a black dial - a favourite colour of the rediallers) but then, the lume looks old and the hand go with the dial. Maybe an older redial.....?! Or our assessment of the star on the dial is wrong after all.

Hartmut Richter
    Last edited by Hartmut Richter; 3 Weeks Ago at 23:09.

Interesting. I would date it a couple of years later: c. 1942-43. Indeed an unusual way the case number is engraved. The whole caseback style seems unusual for this period.
    And yes, like Hartmut said: this would be one of the earliest examples of a Zenith star on the dial we've seen so far and which become more common a couple of years later.
    Vanitas vanitatum et omnia vanitas, praeter ...

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thank you both for your answers I saw a few Zenith‘s from the early 40‘s and never saw one with a Star the caliber dates 1941 the case back doesn’t fit, correct but the dial and hands are in patina shape I still have my doubts !

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

I did wonder about the case back - especially since the case serial number is a little wonky! There would have been plenty of space to put it closer to the middle. I wonder whether it's an "aftermarket" case back?!

Hartmut Richter

Thread Information