Go through AD or direct to service center for repair?
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Go through AD or direct to service center for repair?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Go through AD or direct to service center for repair?

I've never dealt with Zenith for after sales service before so I'm trying to get my bearings. I have an Elite from the 90s that has developed oxidation around some of the markers. I contacted Zenith via email, and they asked me to send the watch in to be assessed. At the same time I also contacted an AD in NYC, who said they would be happy to handle it.

Is one route preferred over the other?

Also, any idea how much I should expect to pay? I'm pretty disappointed this issue has appeared at all, as I have several other older watches that have no such issue.

Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

Re: Go through AD or direct to service center for repair?

Quote Originally Posted by Daneel View Post
    I've never dealt with Zenith for after sales service before so I'm trying to get my bearings. I have an Elite from the 90s that has developed oxidation around some of the markers. I contacted Zenith via email, and they asked me to send the watch in to be assessed. At the same time I also contacted an AD in NYC, who said they would be happy to handle it.

Is one route preferred over the other?

Also, any idea how much I should expect to pay? I'm pretty disappointed this issue has appeared at all, as I have several other older watches that have no such issue.

Thanks.

Think would avoid the “middle
    man” and send it directly to Zenith myself

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Francisco
    Ω 2504.52 / 168.022 / 2201.50 / 2232.30 / 231.90.39.21.04.001
    ♛ 16610 / 18239
    ★ 03.2150.400

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Hmmmm. I suspect that Zenith will just swap the dial and charge a fair amount. Set against that, it's a question of whether the middle man (or even Zenith) could do a job that looks nearly as good as a direct dial swap. One question that bugs me is: where is the oxidation coming from in the first place?!

Hartmut Richter

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Hartmut Richter View Post
    Hmmmm. I suspect that Zenith will just swap the dial and charge a fair amount. Set against that, it's a question of whether the middle man (or even Zenith) could do a job that looks nearly as good as a direct dial swap. One question that bugs me is: where is the oxidation coming from in the first place?!

Hartmut Richter
    Right. Comments elsewhere have suggested an interaction between the glue that holds the markers in place and the steel (I'm guessing they aren't white gold) of the markers. If that is the case, the issue is Zenith's fault in my view.

Depending on if the oxidation is on the surface or not, it might be sufficient to remove the markers, clean the dial, then refix the markers with a less reactive substance. I don't know if the labour associated with such work would be more or less expensive than replacing the dial.

I assume Zenith will give me a quote before proceeding with the work?

...depending on where you are located, you might want to get a quote from Kelly Hunter at The Art of the Watch in Portland, OR. He comes highly recommended by @ralfoto who I trust.

https://artofthewatch.com

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

I suspect that Zenith would claim (as everyone else would do) that by now it's nowhere near under warranty and would charge accordingly. If things go really bad, they would say that they will only do the whole thing as part of a complete overhaul (a favourite trick in the watch industry these days). In other words, prepare yourself for a hefty bill if you go to Zenith. On the other hand, if the watch is due for a service anyway, you might want to have it done - the watch will come back good as new.

Hartmut Richter
    TgeekB likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Hartmut Richter View Post
    I suspect that Zenith would claim (as everyone else would do) that by now it's nowhere near under warranty and would charge accordingly. If things go really bad, they would say that they will only do the whole thing as part of a complete overhaul (a favourite trick in the watch industry these days). In other words, prepare yourself for a hefty bill if you go to Zenith. On the other hand, if the watch is due for a service anyway, you might want to have it done - the watch will come back good as new.

Hartmut Richter
    When you say hefty, how much are we talking? It looks like a full service is $500.

When you say hefty, how much are we talking? It looks like a full service is $500.

Full service in NJ, in the early 2018 timeframe, was $760. Where did you see $500?

Quote Originally Posted by mercurynfo View Post
    Full service in NJ, in the early 2018 timeframe, was $760. Where did you see $500?

Here - https://m.zenith-watches.com/en_en_m...ntenance-rates

My watch has a 670 movement, which is class 1A. For a full service it's 500 or 600 CHF. FX to USD is close to 1 to 1.

Here - https://m.zenith-watches.com/en_en_m...ntenance-rates

My watch has a 670 movement, which is class 1A. For a full service it's 500 or 600 CHF. FX to USD is close to 1 to 1.

Wasn't aware of this, thanks for the link. Mine is a 2B and likely in a higher cost tier.

Cheers.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information