Gold Zenith for My Wife
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Longjean

Thread: Gold Zenith for My Wife

Gold Zenith for My Wife

Some time ago I bought a gold Zenith manual wind watch for my wife as part of the celebration for a very special occasion which has been ruined by the pandemic. The watch was to go in April for a service and the case and bracelet to the goldsmith for repair of a hairline crack to the clasp . Fortunately I still have the watch and will still be able to give it to her.

I have been trying to find out the age and model of the watch online but cannot find much information about ladies' Zenith watches in general or this one in particular so any information would be appreciated. There is a Z above a W, a C followd by a superscript o as in the abbreviation for company all within a triangle. I cannot find this maker in my list of UK goldsmiths unfortunately. The diameter is ~22mm. and the watch case back has sloped sides but I have not opened it.

I found a photo of another gold Zenith with a similar case number but starting with 64, could this be the date of the watch?

I know that there is a ladies' watch forum but thought that I might get more help here, thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

fskywalker likes this.

Re: Gold Zenith for My Wife

Zenith Watch Company
    ZWCo
    I don't have too many watches! I have too few wrists!

Thanks, silly me, I assumed that it had been cased outwith Switzerland since I thought that they did not allow low karat gold there.

P.S. outwith is a Scottish word but I did not realise this till last year!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Since it has the "modern" reference number on the case back, it ought to be from or later than 1972. I am not sure what the Cal. 228 (or 22.8) is but we don't have the Cal. 1110 in our lists yet so that might turn out to be it. In which case, it would not be from very long after 1972. But to confirm that, we would need to see the movement.....

Hartmut Richter

Well, your wife is lucky!

Zenith watch co, I thought that was a code for an old company that cased Zenith watches in the UK.

As for the production date, based on the style it does look like 1963 or 64.

Maybe the movement number could confirm this?
    Vanitas vanitatum et omnia vanitas, praeter ...

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

No, 1964 is too early. The number is part of the overall reference number and 64 denotes case material and bracelet/strap type. It is definitely 1972 onwards.

Hartmut Richter

It is a front loader so I cannot remove the movement , above my pay grade.

The watch I saw with the number begining 64 was white gold and had the inverted star on the crown although it looked suspiciously large for the watch, mine is yellow gold if that helps.

The thought did cross my mind that it looked like a model number! I was fooled however by the timeless design. Indeed in the Zenith catalog for 1975 there are plenty of similar gold ladies watches with elaborate bracelets. Only none with the '228 A' movement, nor with the '63' gold code. But I did find the '63' code in a UK catalog for 1982. Only still no sign of a '228'. Considering the timeless design, you best best to find out whether it dates to 1973 or 1983, will be to identify the movement. No hurry of course, but when you will have it serviced, sooner or later.

Name:  $_57 (4).JPG
Views: 15
Size:  256.9 KB
    Vanitas vanitatum et omnia vanitas, praeter ...

Thread Information