I normally wouldn’t polish but....
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By sempervivens

Thread: I normally wouldn’t polish but....

I normally wouldn’t polish but....

So my new-to-me 1970 a384 is in the shop getting the movement serviced. The case has been polished in the past and I was considering whether I should explore having the radial brushing done again on the top of the case. On most vintage watches it’s an easy answer not to polish but with watches that have specific finishes like brush marks, etc, it makes me reconsider. I haven’t made any decisions yet. What are your thoughts?

Disregard the a386 hands. I’m swapping proper a384 hands back onto it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: I normally wouldn’t polish but....

It needs a real expert to get it done right. Personally I wouldn't. You can always have it done later, but it can't be undone.
    Vanitas vanitatum et omnia vanitas, praeter ...

It’s not the worst case polishing I’ve ever seen. It’s present, but hasn’t blunted the angles as much as it could have. I’d say that it might be okay to have the Zenith service center in Switzerland do a limited case refinishing job. I wouldn’t trust any independents to do it though, nor to service it for that matter.

I recently sent a vintage A384 back to Switzerland for servicing. It seemed to me that the case had never been refinished, so I requested no polishing. Based on your photos, i would likely ask them to do some limited finishing to get rid of some the rounded angles and maybe redo the brushing. I wouldn’t ask an independent because I just couldn’t trust any that I know.

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f27/ch...5029055?page=1

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I wouldn't polish it all over; it will make the top and sides completely "gloss" (hi-chrome) look and you'll lose definition. The matt brushed finish contrasting with the polished sides contributes to the definition of the case shape.

Thread Information