New Zenith Chronomaster Revival ‘Shadow’

Thread: New Zenith Chronomaster Revival ‘Shadow’

New Zenith Chronomaster Revival ‘Shadow’

Beautiful new piece - I will definitely check this out asap and it’s a serious candidate to add to my collection.

I love the dark tone and the strap. The contrast is amazing. Plus I don’t have a titanium watch yet!

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/ze...ow-introducing

Question: what happens to microblasted titanium when it scratches? Will the scratches be a different colour?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: New Zenith Chronomaster Revival ‘Shadow’

It will scratch, but the line will be titanium in color. The matte blasting would be marred.

Quote Originally Posted by DesmoIsland View Post
    It will scratch, but the line will be titanium in color. The matte blasting would be marred.
    That’s a shame, it kind of makes it pointless

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

"...inspiration comes by way of a black PVD chronograph that Zenith considered producing in 1970. The watch was a prototype of a chronograph it planned to introduce after the 1969 launch of its groundbreaking El Primero column-wheel chrono caliber. The prototype had a blackened steel case, which was rare by most standards. Zenith made a few prototypes of the watch, but never produced it commercially."

Very cool and I had no idea about the above. A black case at that era would indeed have been unique thinking/design.

Separate note, I often wonder why they haven't re-issued the A385, it's smoky-gray dial was way ahead of its time as well.
    DOXA SUB300T Professional | Omega Seamaster 2538.20 "Great White" GMT | Omega Speedmaster 3592.50 "Hesalite sandwich" | Seiko Turtle SRP777 | Zenith El Primero Open

Zenith is defin. taking a new direction. I feel that Mr. Tornare (Zenith's CEO) is taking cues from bigger brands like Rolex and Omega in terms of design and marketing. This new "shadow" model reminds me of the Omega DSTOM or Tudor Blackbay dark. These are both popular models and price is actual set reasonably at around 8k usd. So this model sits between the Omega DSOTM and Tudor blackbay dark, which is offered at 12k to 5k respectively. For me, I am very divided in Zenith's new direction for couple of reasons.

1) the recent offering from Zenith has been too affordable. I feel that Zenith is diluting its brand name by making it perhaps too accessible. From a price standpoint, I feel that Omega is a better luxury brand now due to higher pricing and I also feel that Zenith wants to comes down a tier and compete with Tudor.

2) These new directions from Mr. Tornare will definitely make the brand hot again in the short term but I am not too sure if this is good move for them in the long run. Sure, you are going to sell more than usual but none these watches are going to become iconic. After all, Hublot is never going to replace AP and Chronoswiss can never be on par with Breguet. If you want another example of Zenith taking cues from different brands, look at the Rolex Cellini and Zenith's new Captain Moonphase. Both use sunburst dial and have pretty much the same design language.

I have mixed feelings about the new direction of Zenith. For sure, they may become more in with the younger crowd but can homages ever be deemed better than originals?

Thread Information