Octagonal Zenith Defy models - Page 2
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Octagonal Zenith Defy models

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Octagonal Zenith Defy models

Quote Originally Posted by Davidevans0 View Post
    Here’s a few more pics for anyone who’s interested.

I put it on to a leather strap to preserve the bracelet and it probably gets worn about once a year. Could probably do with a service can anyone recommend anyone reputable in the U.K.?
    Thanks for these pics. It is such a unique piece with that gold bracelet.

What would you and others say about the case of this watch: Has it been ever polished? Edges of the case seems to be very sharp. And does it have exactly the same design of the case as on steel Defy?

To my knowledge is has never been polished as it has never been owned by anyone other than my grandfather and myself. He used to stock zenith watches in his shop back in the day and I guess this was one that he took with him when he closed up shop along with an El Primero that I also recently posted about.

Photo of back of watch attached.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Hartmut Richter View Post
    A wonderful watch. I think that we had some idiot on this forum a number of years ago who had one of these melted down for scrap since he couldn't find a buyer who would pay him what he wanted..... (Or maybe it was some other solid gold Zenith model.)

As for servicing, we have a sticky on the Vintage/PW forum for this sort of thing. Here it is - I hope that it will be of some assistance:

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f11/wa...s-3433002.html

Hartmut Richter
    I remember that. It was a solid gold Espada Martel based watch. They destroyed it for the gold. I didn’t want to mention it here so as not to encourage the practice.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Dang! You just missed out on the symmetrical serial number (177E771).

Hartmut Richter

The gold El Primero G381 is superb, but this stunning gold Zenith Defy ref G 20672 is much rarer.

Still Zenith made at least two production runs of this model : one in 1969 (with cal 2552 PC) and this one in 1971 with cal. 2562 PC and '28800' dial.

However they are so rare that no collectors are searching for them.

Moreover these gold Defy's are very heavy in gold.

As a result the few gold Defy's that were around were often sold for their weight in gold.

On a few occasions I've seen the dials and the movement sold separately, meaning the case was melted.

This is one of the few surviving and absolutely spectacular for its condition.
    Vanitas vanitatum et omnia vanitas, praeter ...

I finally got round to getting the dial refurbished for my 1972 DEFY. I managed to polish the original crystal which came up remarkably well (IMHO!).
    Everything else is as it was in 1972 when I bought it. Case number 336d640. Bracelet 3/70. It is good to be wearing an old friend again!
    Here are some rather poor photos, I'll get some better ones in the daylight.Name:  P1040418.JPG
Views: 20
Size:  2.77 MBName:  P1040430.JPG
Views: 19
Size:  2.77 MB
    Attached Images Attached Images

Rifish likes this.

Hi Andy, Glad it worked out. Great to see this beautiful Zenith Defy A3651 still on the wrist of its first owner.
    Vanitas vanitatum et omnia vanitas, praeter ...

Quote Originally Posted by Rifish View Post
    -A3644(?) Shampagne white dial with almost square chunky indeces that were used also on El Primero Espada. Made only with cal. 2552PC. A rare one.

The Heritage Department of Zenith told me that this is reference A3673, not A3644 as we assumed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information