is plating a zenith deployant buckle a good idea?
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By aznseank
  • 1 Post By aznseank
  • 1 Post By WTSP

Thread: is plating a zenith deployant buckle a good idea?

Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    207

    is plating a zenith deployant buckle a good idea?

    So I purchased a 18k rose gold version of the zenith captain elite moonphase. Sadly, this comes with a pin buckle, not dbuckle. I still have the dbuckle from my prior zenith watch. In your opinion, is it okay to gold plate my zenith dbuckle or should I just buy a full 18k rose gold dbuckle from zenith. Quite frankly, I don't want to overpay for a piece of gold.
    Attached Images Attached Images



    fskywalker likes this.

  2. #2
    Member WTSP's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    1,913

    Re: is plating a zenith deployant buckle a good idea?

    In your position I’d probably just stick with the gold pin buckle. If you try to gold plate that deployant version you’ll have to bear in mind that there are two ceramic bearings on one of the sides which may get sealed off by the plating process if you plate the entire buckle. You could try just plating the visible part, but that would mean trusting a jeweller to take it apart.

    Also, plating wears out pretty fast on buckles compared to other parts like the case.

  3. #3
    Member fskywalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    San Juan, PR (USA)
    Posts
    7,125

    Re: is plating a zenith deployant buckle a good idea?

    Quote Originally Posted by aznseank View Post
    So I purchased a 18k rose gold version of the zenith captain elite moonphase. Sadly, this comes with a pin buckle, not dbuckle. I still have the dbuckle from my prior zenith watch. In your opinion, is it okay to gold plate my zenith dbuckle or should I just buy a full 18k rose gold dbuckle from zenith. Quite frankly, I don't want to overpay for a piece of gold.
    Hi would say is better to get one in gold rather than trying electroplating on the one you have.
    Francisco
    Ω 2504.52 / 168.022 / 2201.50 / 2232.30 / 231.90.39.21.04.001
    ♛ 16610 / 18239
    ★ 03.2150.400















  4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    207
    Quote Originally Posted by WTSP View Post
    In your position I’d probably just stick with the gold pin buckle. If you try to gold plate that deployant version you’ll have to bear in mind that there are two ceramic bearings on one of the sides which may get sealed off by the plating process if you plate the entire buckle. You could try just plating the visible part, but that would mean trusting a jeweller to take it apart.

    Also, plating wears out pretty fast on buckles compared to other parts like the case.
    I do understand that it does wear out fast but since the plating is only 5micron thicks at max, it will not interfere with the function of the buckle at all.

    I saw online that a gold buckle was roughly 3k. Is it really worth it?
    fskywalker likes this.

  6. #5
    Member WTSP's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    1,913

    Re: is plating a zenith deployant buckle a good idea?

    Quote Originally Posted by aznseank View Post
    I do understand that it does wear out fast but since the plating is only 5micron thicks at max, it will not interfere with the function of the buckle at all.

    I saw online that a gold buckle was roughly 3k. Is it really worth it?
    5 micron doesn’t sound great. Brands that want to boast of the durability of their plating tend to set the standard at 20 micron. My opinion is only based on Frederic Constant’s PR department and not my own experience though.

    Is a solid gold déployante clasp really worthwhile? Only you can answer that question for yourself. Personally, the only solid gold clasp that I have is on my IWC Big Pilot 5004-02. I like that the clasp is solid gold and matches the case. The idea of there just being a ton of gold in the piece is cool at a certain level. Also, such a large watch tends to need a large buckle to counterbalance it visually (if not physically).

    For a 40mm Zenith Captain with a sapphire rather than solid gold case back, I’d say there’s less of a need conceptually for a bigger solid gold clasp. That piece isn’t about there being a top of gold. The focus is more on the dial and complications.

    Do you want the clasp for comfort and practicality, or is it also a question of aesthetics?
    fskywalker likes this.

  7. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    207
    Quote Originally Posted by WTSP View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by aznseank View Post
    I do understand that it does wear out fast but since the plating is only 5micron thicks at max, it will not interfere with the function of the buckle at all.

    I saw online that a gold buckle was roughly 3k. Is it really worth it?


    5 micron doesn’t sound great. Brands that want to boast of the durability of their plating tend to set the standard at 20 micron. My opinion is only based on Frederic Constant’s PR department and not my own experience though.

    Is a solid gold déployante clasp really worthwhile? Only you can answer that question for yourself. Personally, the only solid gold clasp that I have is on my IWC Big Pilot 5004-02. I like that the clasp is solid gold and matches the case. The idea of there just being a ton of gold in the piece is cool at a certain level. Also, such a large watch tends to need a large buckle to counterbalance it visually (if not physically).

    For a 40mm Zenith Captain with a sapphire rather than solid gold case back, I’d say there’s less of a need conceptually for a bigger solid gold clasp. That piece isn’t about there being a top of gold. The focus is more on the dial and complications.

    Do you want the clasp for comfort and practicality, or is it also a question of aesthetics?
    Thanks for replying.
    Its actually a question of resale value.
    Here is my dilemma. If i gold plate it, the ss buckle becomes pretty much useless so thats ~300usd down the drain. Also, as frugal as i am, i am prolly gonna pull the trigger and get that 3k buckle. But the problem is, i care about the resale value. When i buy that solid gold buckle, thats 2k out the window automatically. Its a tough pill to swallow for me.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •