• 1 Post By Hartmut Richter
  • 1 Post By Elinwar
  • 1 Post By sempervivens

Thread: Questions about a ChronoMaster El Primero 01.0240.400

Questions about a ChronoMaster El Primero 01.0240.400

Hello Gents,
    My name is Tomasz. i am from Poland and I am thinking to start my journey with pressige watches. I was thinking to start with Omega Speedmaster, but some weeks ago I find this articule.
    I made my decision to start to look for Zenith el Primero.

Dear all,
    this will be my first expensive watch. Of course I have some automatic Zeppelin and my Grandfathers 1955 Doxa with manual wind. But I think this is completly new level. Due to this fact I need Your help.
    I was able to find this watch.
    Sellers says that it was sold in 2005 and last service was done in 2014.

Can You check for tme some pictures and share with me Your thougths? It is quite strange that watch was sold as new in 2004 since serial number is: 05436 and movement seems to be 410. Is it OK? Name:  ZENITH-Chronomaster-Moonphase-El-Primero.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  1.45 MBName:  ZENITH-Chronomaster-Moonphase-El-Primero-Ksztalt-koperty-okragla.jpg
Views: 62
Size:  1.83 MBName:  ZENITH-Chronomaster-Moonphase-El-Primero-Marka-Zenith.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  1.32 MBName:  ZENITH-Chronomaster-Moonphase-El-Primero-Mechanizm-automatyczny.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  1.59 MBName:  ZENITH-Chronomaster-Moonphase-El-Primero-Rodzaj-brak-informacji.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  1.38 MBName:  ZENITH-Chronomaster-Moonphase-El-Primero-Typ-nareczny.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  1.56 MB
    fskywalker likes this.

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Re: A SHORT HISTORY AND OVERVIEW OF THE ZENITH CHRONOMASTER

Welcome to the Watchuseek Zenith forum! That is a lovely watch (I also own one) but I have to disappoint you in one respect: there is no way that that watch is from 2005! As you have noted, it's more likely from 1995 (mine is from September 1996 and has 06014 on the rotor). However, the original main box is white and the smaller box for the watch inside is red. Plus it should have the COSC certificate (rolled up and held by a ribbon). You therefore have an old watch with a new box. Either it was traded in at a reputable store without the paraphernalia and the store decided to get a more modern replacement box or it was "married" with the rest of the stuff by someone else.

The good news is that the watch is entirely genuine and, if it was serviced in 2014, should last a few years before it requires the next service. If you can live with the fact that the rest of the stuff doesn't really go with it, go ahead and buy it - it is a great watch! One thing I should warn you about: if you ever get the bracelet for that watch (despite the fact that it's hellishly expensive), you won't be able to put it on - or if you do put it on, you will definitely never be able to take it off! That is a strap watch, the bracelet version has holes in the lugs going all the way through. Either mod the watch or mod the bracelet or get a generic bracelet or forget about a bracelet for that watch!

Hartmut Richter
    fskywalker likes this.

Hi, thank You very much for Your answer.
    I do not think that I would like to switch for braclet - I do not prefer breclets.
    On the other hand - it is possible that that watch was bought on 2005? Means that I was storred in store by 9 years?
    Since watch looks like new and seller said that it was worn since 2014 maybe 3 times I think that oils can get evaporated already? What do You think?
    fskywalker likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I doubt it since the box doesn't look anything like mine. But even granted the (IMO unlikely) possibility that boxes were not associated with particular watches and that you merely got the box-of-the-day when it was sold, it should still have the COSC certificate (they handed them out in those days).

Hartmut Richter
    fskywalker likes this.

Gents, one more question what should I check before buy? Are there any critical points?
    I do not want to buy any fake one.
    fskywalker likes this.

I'm sorry but I can't add anything to my previous comments and advice. Unless someone else steps in here.....

Hartmut Richter
    fskywalker likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Elinwar View Post
    Gents, one more question what should I check before buy? Are there any critical points?
    I do not want to buy any fake one.
    Hi Tomasz and welcome to the forum also from me.

However, this thread is a forum 'sticky' with information about the Zenith Chronomaster. It should not be used to ask questions about a particular Chronomaster you may or may not want to buy.

Please in future start a separate new thread to ask such questions!

Still to answer your question: it is not a fake. There are no red flags. Only the box is not correct for the period. Hartmut already mentioned that: the watch is entirely genuine.

Besides it would be very difficult if not impossible to create a fake of the Zenith Chronomaster. I've never seen one.

That is another advantage of the Zenith brand: there are very few fakes around (and the few fakes that were made, are easy to recognize).

Your other questions were also answered already: the watch is actually one of the very first Zenith Chronomasters and was manufactured c. 1995.

Now to add my two cents: yes, I think it is possible that a watch can sit in a shop for many years, even for nine years, before it is sold.

Finally, if the watch was serviced in 2014 and hardly used since then, the oil should still be ok. Modern oil does not evaporate that quickly.

Good luck with this huge step forward. Hope this helps.
    fskywalker likes this.
    Vanitas vanitatum et omnia vanitas, praeter ...

Quote Originally Posted by sempervivens View Post
    Please in future start a separate new thread to ask such questions!
    Good point! Posts moved to their own thread.

Hartmut Richter
    fskywalker likes this.

Thread Information