Rainbow Flyback Question
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Rainbow Flyback Question

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Rainbow Flyback Question

HI All
    I purchased a Rainbow Flyback (40mm version) in the summer. It looked excellent and has the Luminova dial. I had thought these dials were later than the Tritium ones...the watch has been out to my repairman and will be back soon. A few things that I noticed when he sent pics of the movement is that it is only marked 405, so I assume not a 405z, and there are numbers on it that look to indicate possible manufacture date of 3/93...can anyone shed light on this?

I appreciate your time in advance...thank you
    Attached Images Attached Images

fskywalker likes this.

Re: Rainbow Flyback Question

Quote Originally Posted by ralfoto View Post
    HI All
    I purchased a Rainbow Flyback (40mm version) in the summer. It looked excellent and has the Luminova dial. I had thought these dials were later than the Tritium ones...the watch has been out to my repairman and will be back soon. A few things that I noticed when he sent pics of the movement is that it is only marked 405, so I assume not a 405z, and there are numbers on it that look to indicate possible manufacture date of 3/93...can anyone shed light on this?

Can’t answer your question, but want to say congrats!! That’s a beauty!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    gossler likes this.
    Francisco
    Ω 2504.52 / 168.022 / 2201.50 / 2232.30 / 231.90.39.21.04.001
    ♛ 16610 / 18239
    ★ 03.2150.400

Hi there,

It does look excellent, congratulations. The first Rainbow Flybacks manufactured c. 1997 still had tritium dials and came on a leather band; by 1999 this had changed to luminova and cal 405 Z; so yours most likely dates to c. 1998. The number on the movement (100393?) is not a date but a serial number. With this number Zenith could perhaps give you more details if you purchase an extract from the archives.

Hope this helps,

Quote Originally Posted by ralfoto View Post
    HI All

ralfoto and mercurynfo like this.
    Vanitas vanitatum et omnia vanitas, praeter ...

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Sempervivens,

Thank you so much for your information...it helps immensely especially with the dating of the watch. I am looking forward to getting it back in the next weeks and wearing it.
    best
    Robert

Robert, thanks for sharing, and wear it in good health.
    Vanitas vanitatum et omnia vanitas, praeter ...

Pages from the 1999 UK catalogue, £2195 on the bracelet.

I find it interesting that the size of the watches is never mentioned in this puplication, nowadays people are obsessed to the degree that if X is the minium size for you 1mm less is unacceptable.
    Sorry about the quality of the images, they were taken in very poor lamp light.
    Attached Images Attached Images

fskywalker likes this.

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

My ChronoMaster El Primero has a movement serial number of 92154 and was sold in September 1996 (to its first time buyer - I got it second hand). The movement serial number is of vital importance in my watch since it is COSC tested and the number needs to go on the certificate. But I think that Zenith may well be able to give you a precise date on the basis of that number.

Hartmut Richter
    fskywalker and mercurynfo like this.

thank you Longjean....it is really nice to have this information...I can hardly wait until I get the watch back...soon.

Can anyone briefly summarize the difference between the 405 and 405z. I’ve got a 405z that i wear daily and would love to know.

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

As far as I know, it's merely the exact size of the lever fork and the number of teeth in the escapement gear and the corresponding pinion (to make the seconds gear still go round once a minute).

Hartmut Richter
    mercurynfo likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information