Recently refurbished 2542
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Longjean

Thread: Recently refurbished 2542

Recently refurbished 2542

Some time ago I asked for help on here regarding gold coloured hands and indices on a stainless steel watch. After some reassurance and further searches I found that it was not unusual for Zenith to do this at that time (late 1960s).

The watch was available fairly locally at a modest price. The story was the usual one about finding it after a relative died. The vendor was very honest about the watch: the dial had a bad scratch near 11 : the time could not be set without continuously pulling on the crown while setting: the case back was badly scratched.

I thought that from the different angles of the photos he took that the large and small marks were on the crystal not the dial and I knew that a new setting lever spring would fix the hand setting problem (if I could find one).

I found a setting lever spring in France and took the watch and the spring to the watch maker I usually use. What I did not know was that the tensioning ring for the crystal was missing although I did think it odd that the stem was visable through the crystal. A new acrylic crystal came complete with tensioning ring so the watchmaker ordered them. (who are these watch repairers who would refit a crystal without the tensioning ring?

The case is unpolished with one bad ding , a couple of small dents on the origional crown, a fine saw edge to one of the lugs at the rear and the scratched back where someone used who knows what to try and remove it. Althought the new crystal was an additional expense it revealed a perfect dial of a colour that I can best describe as pewter.

The first three photos are of the watch as I received it ( if you look carefuly under the reflection at 3 there a is a dark rectangular hole through to the stem ) The last photo is the refurbished watch.

My wife really likes this watch but the new strap was a present from her for my birthday so perhaps a bit of bias .

It is quite a modest and boring watch but I was pleased to get it repaired for slightly more than I paid for it, an addition to my Zenith movements collection.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by Longjean; August 7th, 2019 at 16:30.

Re: Recently refurbished 2542

Congratulations, excellent work on the restoration and the reward is there, a beautiful vintage from 1968, looking clean as a whistle.
    Vanitas vanitatum et omnia vanitas, praeter ...

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

A wonderful job on a wonderful watch! Just like the plain three hands PP Calatravas, it has massive intrinsic qualities so I should not worry about a "boring looking watch". I can't see any dial scratch near 11:00 though..... (all for the better!)

Hartmut Richter

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for the kind comments folks. The “scratch” is the dirt near eleven in the first photo, the seller thought it was a scratch on the dial. Sometimes it it an advantage to buy a watch from someone who genuinely knows nothing about watches. I sent him a note telling him that his late relative’s watch had been fixed and he replied that he was pleased that it was now working as it should.

Thread Information