Self regulating a Zenith El Primero movement
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Hartmut Richter

Thread: Self regulating a Zenith El Primero movement

Can Zenith El Primero movements be “self regulated” similar to Rolex movements? For example: 1. To gain a few seconds, lay the watch flat face-up overnight 2. To lose a few seconds, lay the watch vertically with the crown downwards overnight 3. To lose a few more seconds, lay the watch vertically with the crown up.
    Last edited by walds11; 1 Week Ago at 13:30. Reason: updated post

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Re: Self regulating a Zenith El Primero movement

Self regulating a Rolex?!??!! If you can do that, Rolex have either messed up or lied! - these things have a Breguet hairspring and a free sprung balance so that if they react substantially to positional deviation, they are either regulated badly or all that fuss Rolex make about their watches being so isochronic are a load of hogwash!

In principle, any watch can be "self regulated" as long as:

1. it shows deviations between the positions
    2. it some deviations result in time gains, others in time losses
    3. you know exactly how much the watch gains or loses in the positions

However, not all watches satisfy these conditions; furthermore, once serviced, the watch may behave entirely differently. In an ideal world, the watch is regulated to run at close to zero gain or loss and what you lose at night (when the watch is often lying down, the position most likely to lose time since the friction on the balance pivot is lowest and the balance will swing more widely), you will gain during the day when the watch is more likely to be in the hanging positions. But this behaviour is, I note, contrary to what you describe so it may even be dependent on which side of the point of isochronism the system is.....

Good luck.

Hartmut Richter
    FBPB likes this.

Thank you for the insight Hartmut!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Yeah, this seems silly. I haven't heard of this before in my life! Where did you get your information from?

Quote Originally Posted by nicholasnick View Post
    Yeah, this seems silly. I haven't heard of this before in my life! Where did you get your information from?
    I googled it and found info about self regulating a Rolex.

wow. read this. seems like was Rolex official paperwork. Live and learn :) Name:  selfregulating.jpg
Views: 22
Size:  27.5 KB

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Bloody hell! So much for their watches being super accurate!

I also suspect that this recommendation is a little sensitive to the exact movement being used. I don't know about Rolex but generally, there is a lot of variation in movements over the ages in the exact positioning of the balance. And also in the positioning of the lever in relation to the balance.....and therefore also the position in which the balance's transmission stone is pointing "upwards" or "downwards" (or even "sideways") when connecting with the lever. Which seems to be what matters to explain the difference between "crown up" and "crown down" in that recommendation.

But then, maybe all Rolex calibres are designed to have the balance in the same place and in the same position relative to the lever.

Hartmut Richter

Quote Originally Posted by Hartmut Richter View Post
    Bloody hell! So much for their watches being super accurate!

I also suspect that this recommendation is a little sensitive to the exact movement being used. I don't know about Rolex but generally, there is a lot of variation in movements over the ages in the exact positioning of the balance. And also in the positioning of the lever in relation to the balance.....and therefore also the position in which the balance's transmission stone is pointing "upwards" or "downwards" (or even "sideways") when connecting with the lever. Which seems to be what matters to explain the difference between "crown up" and "crown down" in that recommendation.

But then, maybe all Rolex calibres are designed to have the balance in the same place and in the same position relative to the lever.

Hartmut Richter
    This (position regulation) was a recommendation used by Rolex with older models. I don’t think they include this little piece of paperwork with current models. I’ve got an almost 50 year old Rolex Sub that I could keep nearly spot-on for weeks at a time. It was kinda fun really. With the modern Rolex movements, my experience has been that the movements don’t really deviate ‘much’ with different positions.

YMMV
    Best Regards,
    Jason

Thread Information