Timing Test of Defy Back from Service

Thread: Timing Test of Defy Back from Service

Timing Test of Defy Back from Service

So got my Defy back from Service a month ago and have been wearing it and leaving it on a winder when I’m not wearing it. I track the timing of my watches with an app and notice that it has been running slower and slower in the month + I’ve had it back. So I decided to check it on my timegrapher and attached are pictures of the results. But wow, 23 second spread if you take the fastest and slowest positions and even if you throw out the the most extreme and take the best 5 positions it’s still 15 seconds spread. This watch originally went back because the reverser was going bad and the power reserve meter wouldn’t go to full. Watch is around a year to year and a half old... LVMH had the watch 3 months.

I’ve had mixed results with LVMH service so I’ve always wondered if the same guy that works on TAG works on Zenith. I had a partial service done on one of my Stratos, full service done on another Stratos, and full service done on a Chronomaster Bullet. Those all came back running well. I also had a TAG Calibre 36 Ti that had an overhaul done... that uses an El Primero Flyback movement and came back ok.. averaged around -4 spd but extreme positional variance was around 6 seconds. I also had a pair of Tag Heuer 01’s go back for warranty work but both watches had around 15 seconds of extreme positional variance and IIRC one was +7 spd average and other -5 spd average. Now TAG doesn’t make any claims to their watches accuracy on their Heuer 01 movements so to me that was fine. But for a Defy to come back running like this I wonder if someone on their B team got a hold of it? When watches go back to LVMH is it just the luck of the draw on who’s paying attention to regulating your watch?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Timing Test of Defy Back from Service

Wow that's an enormous positional variance.....I'm surprised the range is that broad. Any idea what the watch averages timing wise when it's on your wrist? And is this one of the zenith that is cosc certified or do they make any specific claims on what the timing should be on the defy?

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

The reason I threw it on the timegrapher was because I noticed it losing more and more seconds per day over the past month + as I was wearing it in my rotation. I came with some certificate but I didn’t really pay attention to what the specs were But I’m pretty sure it’s not supposed to be so extreme.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Well, at amplitudes below 270° in some positions, I would not be quite that surprised. Which means that in my opinion, they did a shoddy job! When I got my El Primero back the last time, it ran at just ahead of 1s/day on the wrist with a maximum deviation in mean daily rate between 0 and 2.5s/day. You can hardly better that. Your watch seems to have been serviced by the apprentice! I would complain.

Hartmut Richter

I thought it was normal for the amp to drop to mid high 200’s and dial up or down amp is supposed to be high 200’s’ and into the 300’s depending on the movement? My experienced with LVMH in NJ has been mixed... the not so good was on the TAG side so this is the first Zenith that was so shoddy. I’ve had other stuff come back a little slow but everything else was fine and that was a quick and simple adjustment.... but the positions were consistent... probably less than 5 spd extreme spread. I wonder if the guys doing warranty work are the junior guys since they’re doing it for “free”. LOL. This is really annoying because I was planning to leave this in my overseas home and now I need to take it back and have them service it again... which probably means at least another 2 months at LVMH

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Unless your power is down severely, I would consider that the watch should have 270° or rather close to it in the worst positions - and a little over 300° in the best. Nothing over ca. 315° though, otherwise you start to risk knocking the banking. You are consistently below 270° in the hanging positions and only just at 270° in one of the lying positions (dial down) but perfectly within acceptable limits in the dial up position. I wonder whether your dial side balance pivot is damaged.....

Hartmut Richter

I’ve heard mixed things about LVMH service.... I wonder if anyone on here knows if the actually have different teams work on Zenith, TAG, and Hublot or if it’s just whoever gets a hold of it. For Omega I always use their HK center for service because the Boutique there has the service center onsite and for me at least it’s just a little bit more reassuring than some random person working on it.

A 23 second spread does seem like a lot for a modern movement. For reference I see a 7 second spread on my EP, -2 to +5 across the 6 positions. That said, if the work is warranted for a period I would just enjoy the watch for awhile, and then when the warranty period is close to over if it is still acting up I'd send it in then.
    Rolex Submariner 14060M
    Zenith Chronomaster El Primero "Original 1969" 03.2150.400/69.M2150
    Omega Constellation Automatic Chronometer 368.1201
    1965 Tissot Seastar Handwind
    Victorinox Dive Master 500
    Swatch Irony Body & Soul

Thread Information