Two watches with Zenith 8 3/4 F inside
Like Tree5Likes
  • 3 Post By SilkeN
  • 1 Post By Hartmut Richter
  • 1 Post By sempervivens

Thread: Two watches with Zenith 8 3/4 F inside

Two watches with Zenith 8 3/4 F inside

Zenith build just a few rectangular movements. The most ones are very small and made for female watches. This form enabled a quite big balance depending on the hole movement size. The fashion especially for woman was to wear very very small watches in the 1930 ties. For the popular rectangulär watches those days you find the 3 3/4 F caliber in male watches. The aera to build not only round wrist watches began in the end of the 1920. At first Zenith build a tonneau form with the round 8, 8 3/4 or 10 ''' NSI caliber inside. Not sure when the 8 3/4 came in the market but it must be around 1930. The rectangular watches were sold in the early 1930 ties as well as round and tonneau ones.

Name:  auvielfalt.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  110.1 KB

Here are my examples and I guess they differ several years in age but I know Hartmuth and Sempervivens will help

Name:  achtdeiviertelfparty.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  132.5 KB

both movements are within quite simular but not identcal chromed cases with a steel back. What is striking is the different thickness and shape of the watch glasses, which I consider to be original.

Name:  achtdeiviertelfglasvergleich.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  81.8 KB

a view on the case numbers let me think that here are some years between both watches while the one with the thick glas is older:

Name:  achtdeiviertelgehäuserücken.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  91.9 KB

now a view on the movements. The nickel one is just come in and I hope it will soon shine like the cleaned gilded movement. The "dirt" is just old dryed oil and no rust or corroded:

Name:  achtdeiviertelwerkw.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  112.9 KB

finally the two dials without glass. Photographs are merciless. In reality these are beautiful well preserved watches and they are splendid to see. My luck is that these days small rectangular watches are not in demand.

Name:  achtdeiviertefblaetter.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  120.9 KB

Silke
    Last edited by SilkeN; September 16th, 2019 at 06:52.
    sempervivens, Longjean and probep like this.
    That's what I think about today:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlUGeY7MWVo

Re: Two watches with Zenith 8 3/4 F inside

Beautiful!
    Vanitas vanitatum et omnia vanitas, praeter ...

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

A very nice pair. Both date to the late thirties (at least the movements do): 1937 for the older one and 1939 for the younger one. With those hands and the rectangular cases, both look a little like knock-offs of the Jaeger LeCoultre "Reverso" (at least style-wise - obviously, they couldn't copy the flip-over action for patent reasons!) which came out in 1931.

Hartmut Richter
    SilkeN likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I like these curved ergonomic cases.

As for the case numbers, I would date the first one to ca. 1937/38.

Note that for this period it is unusual to find the case number on the outside, it was mostly engraved on the inside of the case.

Are the cases signed Zenith on the inside?

The second one has me puzzled. Is there no other number on the inside? This low number could be a Besançon number for maybe ca. 1928, about ten years older than the other, whereas the movement number is Swiss and dates to 1939 (as Hartmut already pointed out).

Thank you both for your reply. My database in this aera is worse.Only the case of the watch with the nickel movement 1937 is marked with Zenith /rustless steel (right side):

Name:  SAM_2115.JPG
Views: 37
Size:  105.6 KB

I find the last number 77 und 169 inside the glas"ring" on a simular way. The 1937 one I bought as a bargain in Ebay France and not the other one . I bought her a while ago from a serious german collector. I know that he owns the watch at least 20 years and he is noone who tinker. Of course it is possible that he unwittingly bought a franken. He couldn't remember when and were he found the watch.

Regards Silke
    Last edited by SilkeN; September 18th, 2019 at 06:21.
    That's what I think about today:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlUGeY7MWVo

I'm not suggesting that it is a franken, just a strange, low case number, possibly a Besançon number. The lack of the Zenith signature could confirm this.

The Besançon numbers are more difficult to date anyway.
    SilkeN likes this.

Thread Information