Very Interesting Defy Lab 15Hz!
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Very Interesting Defy Lab 15Hz!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    SOG

Smile Very Interesting Defy Lab 15Hz!

Forgot what I was searching for when I was looking videos in general on youtube
    then found Zenith have a new watch called Defy Lab that run at 15Hz!

After doing more search and found they actually have this back in 2017, but
    so far only one watch produced, I wonder if they will start mass production soon...

This movement is very interesting seems no traditional balance wheel, it looks like the energy
    is still store the same way but when it is release, it's release with one gear, and a special
    frame.

So the whole frame Oscillate, stop and move the gear at 15Hz like a pallet fork.
    From the video and the color, it looks like the "Oscillation Frame" and gear is made of silicone, there
    seems to have much less parts too...

At first I thought since the frame is so large, it will be effected by
    shock easily., but they said traditional balance wheel go 300 degree, this one only go like 5 degree, so
    time will be much less likely to be effected (But I thought silicone is too hard it's easy to shatter?)

Anyway looking forward to this New movement, I wonder what they will call this new movement... how smooth the second hand is going to be... and how well it will power other complication.

Re: Very Interesting Defy Lab 15Hz!

Yes it is cool and meanwhile the watch is in its 2nd generation being made at the rate of a few 100 pieces per year.

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Indeed, it is one of the most important (and sadly, reading through some of the watch literature and seeing the - lack of - attention it gets: underrated) inventions of recent years. The original prototype was released in a limited edition of ten (not one) pieces, running at 15Hz. They revamped the movement a little, jacked it up to 18Hz and are releasing a few 100 per annum. If you want to see one in person, maybe you should participate in this:

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f27/ze....html#poststop

Hartmut Richter
    SOG likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

SOG

Thanks for the information! If I am in the state, I will certainly join, but now I am in Hong Kong with two kids.

I am sure they are still testing it, and make sure it's stable before mass.
    Quite surprise they push it up to 18Hz, it might be possible to vibrate even faster with other materials.
    Wonder how it sound when compare to balance wheel.

Remind me of a movie... everything vibrate in our universe, and when the sound/music matches certain
    vibration, it opens up a time traveling portal... I forgot the name of the movie thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Hartmut Richter View Post
    Indeed, it is one of the most important (and sadly, reading through some of the watch literature and seeing the - lack of - attention it gets: underrated) inventions of recent years. The original prototype was released in a limited edition of ten (not one) pieces, running at 15Hz. They revamped the movement a little, jacked it up to 18Hz and are releasing a few 100 per annum. If you want to see one in person, maybe you should participate in this:

Hartmut Richter

Quote Originally Posted by SOG View Post
    Thanks for the information! If I am in the state, I will certainly join, but now I am in Hong Kong with two kids.

I am sure they are still testing it, and make sure it's stable before mass.
    Quite surprise they push it up to 18Hz, it might be possible to vibrate even faster with other materials.
    Wonder how it sound when compare to balance wheel.

Remind me of a movie... everything vibrate in our universe, and when the sound/music matches certain
    vibration, it opens up a time traveling portal... I forgot the name of the movie thought.
    Welcome to Hong Kong. I live here since 2013. We sometimes do watch related get together drinks, pm me if you want to join.

Regarding the Zenith, I believe they also added hacking in the 18hz edition. I have not yet seen the watch in hong kong.

Hartmut Richter
    The lack of susbtance for most watch collector nowadays is the reason. Most watch collector don't even know how to appreciate watchmaking and new invention. All they know is blindly chasing brands.

What makes a brand great is the rich innovation and watch making behind couple with top quality control for that exclusiveness and consistent policy.

This is what is makes Rolex famous today but sadly forgetten by many. But a great brand takes time to build up. So zenith just need to be patient and with continuous innovation. Slowly, it will get what it deserve.
    " A great time piece on your wrist show you are serious of time "

Perhaps you live in the US , we Europeans have had access to this brand since 1865.

Many prizes and innovations over 150 years, this is just the latest.
    ynp and TSeay18 like this.

I had the pleasure of wearing the new Zenith Inventor for about 3-4 hours yesterday as they were here doing an event. It was an incredible piece and the vibrations of 129,600/hour are amazing. The idea behind using silicon instead of the standard construction is truly game-changing. Then to find out it is accurate within +/- 1 second A MONTH is out of this world! After speaking with the president of Zenith for the US he told me that because the power savings have been tremendous using silicon instead of metal/rubies they are shifting focus to being able to provide that accuracy on the watch while extending the power reserve to a 2-3 week time frame. I was blown away hearing all of this and can't wait for the finished product to hit the shelves!
    SOG likes this.

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Power reserve of 2-3 weeks?! That is approaching that of the legendary A. Lange 31 (one month)!

Thanks for that valuable info.

Hartmut Richter
    SOG likes this.

Power reserve of 2-3 weeks?! That is approaching that of the legendary A. Lange 31 (one month)!

Thanks for that valuable info.

Hartmut Richter
    This is what I was told, hopefully he's accurate with his statement. It makes sense though, by eliminating the friction between metals/jewels which causes a loss in power, they should be able to elongate the power reserve. To hear him say 2-3 weeks really set me back though, that is going to be incredible. Can you imagine a world where a handful of the modern watches use this technology and we go from an average 40hr power reserve to something like a week average.... simply incredible!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information