Zenith Automatic Calibre 133.8 Serial 4092661
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By sempervivens

Thread: Zenith Automatic Calibre 133.8 Serial 4092661

Zenith Automatic Calibre 133.8 Serial 4092661

Just picked up a watch that I probably over bid, but it feels pretty good on my wrist.

Can someone put a date on the watch ? I've been told 1960.

Otherwise, any infos/comments from the forum would be welcome.

Side question: were 33mm diameter watches "men's" watches ... I've recently seen one that I liked, but it seemed quite small for a man.

Name:  ZenithAutomatic02.png
Views: 31
Size:  748.3 KBName:  ZenithAutomatic01.png
Views: 29
Size:  844.2 KB

Thanks in advance

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Re: Zenith Automatic Calibre 133.8 Serial 4092661

Lovely watch! Is it solid gold or is it plated?

There is no way that that watch is from 1960. That would make it one of the last Cal. 133s before Zenith got access to the rotor wound Martel 25x2 series. In actual fact, the movement serial number (and the overall style) points to a production date in 1952.

Yes, in 1952, 33mm watches were very much men's watches. Indeed, in those days, men often wore 30mm watches or even slightly smaller ones. Women's watches were tiny, ca. 25mm or less.

Hartmut Richter

Quote Originally Posted by Hartmut Richter View Post
    Lovely watch! Is it solid gold or is it plated?

There is no way that that watch is from 1960. That would make it one of the last Cal. 133s before Zenith got access to the rotor wound Martel 25x2 series. In actual fact, the movement serial number (and the overall style) points to a production date in 1952.

Yes, in 1952, 33mm watches were very much men's watches. Indeed, in those days, men often wore 30mm watches or even slightly smaller ones. Women's watches were tiny, ca. 25mm or less.

Hartmut Richter
    Thank you Hartmut

This watch is 35mm diameter without the crown (I was asking for another watch I'm reviewing).

According to the information provided by the seller and seller's photos this watch is gold plated 80 microns.

Name:  ZenithAutomatic03.png
Views: 16
Size:  1.33 MB
    Name:  ZenithAutomatic04.png
Views: 18
Size:  639.9 KB

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

80 microns gold: the unique quality of the 1950's.

Somewhat strange that the case is not signed by Zenith, but the case number is a Zenith number and dates it also to ca. 1952.

Beautiful dial. On the whole a great pick up.

Congratulations and enjoy it in good health!
    Vanitas vanitatum et omnia vanitas, praeter ...

Quote Originally Posted by sempervivens View Post
    80 microns gold: the unique quality of the 1950's.

Somewhat strange that the case is not signed by Zenith, but the case number is a Zenith number and dates it also to ca. 1952.

Beautiful dial. On the whole a great pick up.

Congratulations and enjoy it in good health!
    Thank you Sempervivens

I wore it to bed last night and this morning I see that it stopped just after midnight ... I'll need to test it ... and eventually take it to a watchmaker ... made me a bit sad about it stopping, but we'll see.

Otherwise, does anyone have a view on the this hand wound watch. The seller says it's from the 1950's, but after hours on ranfft.de ... I'm guessing pre-1910 ... says it still runs.

Seems an antique watch shop liquidated and the seller wants to move some less popular brands from his inventory.

Name:  ZenithHandwide01.png
Size:  956.8 KB
    Name:  ZenithHandwide02.png
Views: 15
Size:  1.15 MB
    Name:  ZenithHandwide03.png
Size:  844.8 KB

HI Mytwocentimes,
    I saw both watches in Riccardo and congrads to the 133.8. A wonderful watch with a gread movement in top condition. I didn't follow the bidding because this is out of budget and not the target I'm looking for. I also say the other watch and was wondering about the indirekt second. But this isn't a watch pre 1910. Look at the shock protection . THe "wrist watch experts" will know more but I would date her in the 1940/50 ties. I guess the low movemt number depends on a production in Besancon. While starting very relaxed searching a possible christmas gift I looked on this watch as well. My thoughts: OMG what happen with the dial. IT looks wrong. I'm more in pocket watches but I would avoid this watch. On the dial: fab swiss ...movement probably besancon ..I don' trust this offer. Others will know more. I follow just my feeling without big knowledge but usually it isn't really wrong.

Regards Silke
    That's what I think about today:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlUGeY7MWVo

Quote Originally Posted by MyTwoCentimes View Post
    Thank you Sempervivens

I wore it to bed last night and this morning I see that it stopped just after midnight ... I'll need to test it ... and eventually take it to a watchmaker ... made me a bit sad about it stopping, but we'll see.

Otherwise, does anyone have a view on the this hand wound watch. The seller says it's from the 1950's, but after hours on ranfft.de ... I'm guessing pre-1910 ... says it still runs.

Seems an antique watch shop liquidated and the seller wants to move some less popular brands from his inventory.
    The second watch was produced by Zenith Besançon in France, that's why it has completely different serial numbers. It looks like a cal 106-5 and I would date it to ca. 1953.

I don't see anything wrong with it although I can't exclude it's an old redial. But then why would they have printed 'fab suisse' on the dial?

On second thoughts it most likely is an old redial, considering the sloppy numbers of the minute ring which seem to be handwritten.

I see one of the screws missing though that should be holding the movement.
    Last edited by sempervivens; 1 Week Ago at 15:10.
    SilkeN likes this.
    Vanitas vanitatum et omnia vanitas, praeter ...

Thread Information