Zenith Chronomaster El Primero vs. IWC Portugieser Chronograph
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: Zenith Chronomaster El Primero vs. IWC Portugieser Chronograph

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

I知 looking for a new time piece that can perform as my daily driver. Something that can be dressed up or down easily and Name:  IMG_3195.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  704.8 KBis well regarded. Now that the Portugieser Chronograph is touting an IWC in house caliber I知 considering it a serious contender against the Chronomaster El Primero. Which would you choose and why? Or would you go another direction altogether with a budget of 6k - 8k?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    fskywalker likes this.

Re: Zenith Chronomaster El Primero vs. IWC Portugieser Chronograph

Quote Originally Posted by bt_90 View Post
    I知 looking for a new time piece that can perform as my daily driver. Something that can be dressed up or down easily and is well regarded. Now that the Portugieser Chronograph is touting an IWC in house caliber I知 considering it a serious contender against the Chronomaster El Primero. Which would you choose and why? Or would you go another direction altogether with a budget of 6k - 8k?
    What does "daily driving" entail - are you a builder or an investment analyst? How does the watch have to perform in relation to your daily activities, and does it have to be new from a store?

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

I'd go for the El Primero. For one thing, it has more features (it includes a date and an hour totaliser). For another thing, unless IWC have seriously improved over the last years, the accuracy of the El Primero is rather better. In a four watch "contest" in an article in a German watch magazine (OK, so it was about a decade or so ago) featuring Rolex, Patek, JLC and IWC chronographs with in house movements, the IWC was definitely the worst of the four (not that it was really bad, mind you). My El Primero, just back from service, performed better than any of the four. And around that time, this was a general phenomenon for IWC in such tests: good but not quite as good as Zenith, Omega and JLC.

Thirdly, the El Primero is one of the most robust movements you can get. So, on the basis of all that, what more can you ask for?

However, if the IWC speaks to you heart more than the El Primero does, don't let me stand in your way.....

Hartmut Richter
    bt_90 and fskywalker like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I like the Chronomaster, was considering one for myself.

Love the tri-color dial, and of course the movement.

You came here for an unbiased opinion?
    fskywalker and gossler like this.

B79

The Zenith chronograph but one where the subdials don’t overlap as much unless it’s an annual calendar like...

Name:  BCC66F7A-E2F8-4310-BDAE-DF7A0E0588A4.jpeg
Views: 90
Size:  1.23 MBName:  BCC66F7A-E2F8-4310-BDAE-DF7A0E0588A4.jpeg
Views: 90
Size:  1.23 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Longjean View Post
    You came here for an unbiased opinion?
    No, just AN opinion. I致e asked the IWC folks as well :)

arcadelt, fskywalker and Cappyab like this.

Quote Originally Posted by arcadelt View Post
    What does "daily driving" entail - are you a builder or an investment analyst? How does the watch have to perform in relation to your daily activities, and does it have to be new from a store?
    This is my first luxury watch purchase so I壇 like to have something somewhat flexible as I build my collection. My needs now include the occasional business trip as a software consultant, but I mostly work from home. So I don稚 need the watch to dress up often, a few times a month. I guess I壇 say I知 more interested in being able to dress something classy down for wear around town with smart casual attire. Or even way down at times with jeans and T-shirt.

fskywalker likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Hartmut Richter View Post
    I'd go for the El Primero. For one thing, it has more features (it includes a date and an hour totaliser). For another thing, unless IWC have seriously improved over the last years, the accuracy of the El Primero is rather better. In a four watch "contest" in an article in a German watch magazine (OK, so it was about a decade or so ago) featuring Rolex, Patek, JLC and IWC chronographs with in house movements, the IWC was definitely the worst of the four (not that it was really bad, mind you). My El Primero, just back from service, performed better than any of the four. And around that time, this was a general phenomenon for IWC in such tests: good but not quite as good as Zenith, Omega and JLC.

Thirdly, the El Primero is one of the most robust movements you can get. So, on the basis of all that, what more can you ask for?

However, if the IWC speaks to you heart more than the El Primero does, don't let me stand in your way.....

Hartmut Richter
    This is really interesting insight. Thank you for this! Which speaks to the heart more is the impossible question

fskywalker likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bt_90 View Post
    I知 looking for a new time piece that can perform as my daily driver. Something that can be dressed up or down easily and Name:  IMG_3195.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  704.8 KBis well regarded. Now that the Portugieser Chronograph is touting an IWC in house caliber I知 considering it a serious contender against the Chronomaster El Primero. Which would you choose and why? Or would you go another direction altogether with a budget of 6k - 8k?

Look no further........

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    bt_90 and gossler like this.
    Francisco
    Ω 2504.52 / 168.022 / 2201.50 / 2232.30 / 231.90.39.21.04.001
    ♛ 16610 / 18239
    ★ 03.2150.400

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information