Zenith Chronomaster Manufacture Edition
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Mark.W

Thread: Zenith Chronomaster Manufacture Edition

Zenith Chronomaster Manufacture Edition

Re: Zenith Chronomaster Manufacture Edition

I love Zenith. But I’m so confused about the minute differences between this and the other.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

OUCH! Some pretty distressed dials there.....

Hartmut Richter

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Interesting: so the prototype dial for the A386 had three blue subdials, which was already nice. But then they still improved the design...

Nice impression by Zenith's CEO of inspector Clouseau's accent I sort of expected when he was in Charles Vermot's attic, that he would fall down the stairs or get his hand stuck in the drawers of that cute old cupboard.
    Last edited by sempervivens; 4 Hours Ago at 18:05.
    Vanitas vanitatum et omnia vanitas, praeter ...

Quote Originally Posted by aunderscoreham View Post
    I love Zenith. But I’m so confused about the minute differences between this and the other.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Which "other?" If you're referring to the standard production 38mm El Primero, there are a number of significant differences in the design of the dial. Here is a side-by-side:

Name:  zenith mfg calibre.jpg
Views: 13
Size:  205.8 KB

The left is the brand new "Manufacture Edition," and the one on the right is the Plain Jane 38mm El Primero in the current Zenith lineup. The pictures speak for themselves, but generally speaking, the Manufacture Edition has the vintage look reminiscent of the original A386 El Primero from 1969, with the finer detailing on the outside rings, vintage hands, "El Primero" in script font, etc. The "Manufacture Edition" also appears to use a larger crown and a simpler design for the chrono pushers, than the normal production model.

The "Manufacture Edition" is actually very similar to the 50th Anniversary Limited Edition of the A386 that came out in 2019:

Name:  50th.jpg
Views: 11
Size:  287.3 KB

But those models only came in precious metals (white gold, rose gold, yellow gold), had the more conventionally colored Zenith sub dials and were prohibitively expensive -- MSRP close to $20K U.S. They also only made 150 of them, 50 in each metal color.

The new "Manufacture Edition" is steel, has three blue subdials, is apparently not a limited edition model, and is less than half the price. I suspect the "Manufacture Edition" will be a hit for Zenith, as people really liked the dial/case design of the A386 reissue, but the use of precious metals and the limited run placed those models out of reach for most. If the Manufacture Edition follows the same case design as the A386 reissue, you can expect a reduction in thickness of about 1mm, and a generally slimmer overall profile on the wrist, when compared to the standard 38mm model.
    Last edited by Mark.W; 11 Hours Ago at 10:37.
    Zenithconnoisseur and Danitop like this.

Thread Information