Like Tree10Likes
  • 4 Post By Zenithconnoisseur
  • 1 Post By sempervivens
  • 2 Post By Hartmut Richter
  • 1 Post By sempervivens
  • 2 Post By Zenithconnoisseur

Thread: Zenith diver from '60

Zenith diver from '60

Zenith reference 3632 in near mint condition. A true diver from 1960- 120m water resistant- in fully original condition with the large hands that increase readability and the original 1960 crown and perlon strap from that era with golden buckle. The sixties have been previously described as the golden era of watchmaking. The older brother of the previously introduced Defy. The watch has an automatic caliber 2542pc- with date, central seconds and incabloc produced between 1964 and 1969. This movement was followed up by the 1969 Defy A3651 I owned (fitted with a caliber 2552pc- noted by automatic only on the dial) and then followed by the 2562pc- with the famous frequency portrayed at the dial (see previous post about the "miura" Cassaforte del Tempo). It is part of a larger serie of divers, including the reference 3634 (blue dial, stainless steel, world timer- 50m waterproof) and the reference 3630 (black dial, stainless steel, 120m waterproof). If you go through old catalogues it is fascinating to see how the current market has developed- this edition, the P3632 was more expensive than the stainless steel models back in the days. It was seen as a premium upgrade (very similar to the captain deluxe edition).Considering the current bubble of stainless steel sport models we are in, this is not true anymore today. I have always been more a dress watch kind of person as opposed to someone who enjoys heavy toolwatches (hence, I don't have a Zenith plongeur 1000m yet in my collection) I can really appreciate this crossover between luxury, elegance and functionality- it can be worn with a suit too. At 38mm, this is also the largest Zenith watch in my collection. Plaque by Huguenin Frčres.

Sent from my BV9500Plus using Tapatalk
    Simon, Longjean, Acme and 1 others like this.

Re: Zenith diver from '60

Very nice, congratulations! Only I would advise against the perlon strap, as this can damage the back of your watch.
    Zenithconnoisseur likes this.
    Vanitas vanitatum et omnia vanitas, praeter ...

Quote Originally Posted by sempervivens View Post
    Very nice, congratulations! Only I would advise against the perlon strap, as this can damage the back of your watch.
    That is actually a very good point. I guess the same can happen with NATO. Perhaps a nice Zenith leather strap (pecary or alligator)?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

NATO straps are better since they are made of Nylon, which is softer. Nevertheless, even those aren't entirely without side effects. I still use them on some watches. I believe that my watches are there to be enjoyed and a minimal "imprint" is acceptable if I get more enjoyment out of the watch that way.

(On my wrist, as I type this, is my relatively no-name Pilot watch - on a "James Bond" NATO strap!)

Hartmut Richter
    Zenithconnoisseur and Acme like this.

Back in the day a plain black strap would have done the job, but you can also go for alligator.
    Zenithconnoisseur likes this.
    Vanitas vanitatum et omnia vanitas, praeter ...

Quote Originally Posted by Hartmut Richter View Post
    NATO straps are better since they are made of Nylon, which is softer. Nevertheless, even those aren't entirely without side effects. I still use them on some watches. I believe that my watches are there to be enjoyed and a minimal "imprint" is acceptable if I get more enjoyment out of the watch that way.

(On my wrist, as I type this, is my relatively no-name Pilot watch - on a "James Bond" NATO strap!)

Hartmut Richter
    " I believe that my watches are there to be enjoyed "

That is a quote that is fully in line with my approach to collecting too. As much as I like to go into detail, at the end of the day, it is an wonderful object that will hopefully outlive the one wearing it and all little wear and tear should tell a story of a life well lived too. Rather a tiny dent too many than a day too long in the dust free safe ;)

Ric Capucho and Acme like this.

Thread Information