Zenith at the GPHG 2019
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By WTSP

Thread: Zenith at the GPHG 2019

Zenith at the GPHG 2019

I've been looking into Zenith's entries at the Grand prix de l'horlogerie de Genève 2019. Here's a summary with my thoughts. What are yours?
    http://gphg.org/horlogerie/en/gphg-2...lected-watches

Men's complication: Double Tourbillion
    It's a neat watch, but it seems to me like Zenith's entry is more of an entry level complication watch, a bit like Tag Heuer's tourbillon chronograph. I'd give the prize to Czapek or D.Candaux.

Name:  gphg2019_defy_el_primero_double_tourbillon_001.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  29.4 KB

Iconic: A384 Revival
    I love the A384. My heart tells me it should win. My brain tells me that Tag Heuer resurrected the caliber 11 in its new Monaco, so it has a better chance.

Name:  gphg2019_el_primero_a384_revival_001.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  22.9 KB

Chronometry: Defy Inventor
    Without reserve, I think Zenith should take this category. The multi-tourbillons and constant force escapement models from other brands are beautiful, but not that groundbreaking. The Tag Isograph has a new hairspring, big deal. The Zenith oscillator potentially marks a new beginning for the industry, with the caveat of the niche status that mechanical chronometry is doomed to occupy.

Name:  gphg2019_defy_inventor_001.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  28.0 KB

Chronograph: El Primero 21 Carbon
    Definitely a cool watch, but in my mind the separate spring and drive train for the El Primero 21 make it less complex or innovative than other entries. I'd hand this one to Bvlgari for its ultra thin, peripheral rotor movement and unique design.

Name:  gphg2019_defy_el_primero_21_carbon_001.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  27.5 KB

Petite aiguille: Pilot Type 20 Silver
    Rivets and plates are not my thing. I'd give it to Trilobe because I love disc-based time telling and the overall style, but that's personal choice and I'm not sure what the judges might do in this category.

Name:  gphg2019_pilot_type_20_silver_001.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  23.9 KB
    omeglycine and illumidata like this.

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Re: Zenith at the GPHG 2019

My thoughts:

1. The double tourbillon doesn't really look like a double tourbillon at all - it looks more like a knock off of the Cal. 21. Not overly impressed.

2. The A384 revival should take the biscuit - the Cal. 11 (or anything else in that department) doesn't have the right movement!!

3. No contest!!

4. Looks OK but there are (as you stated) probably other, better competitors

5. Looks OK but "petite aguilles" (small hands) on a watch without subseconds????!!

Hartmut Richter

Re: Zenith at the GPHG 2019

Quote Originally Posted by Hartmut Richter View Post
    My thoughts:

1. The double tourbillon doesn't really look like a double tourbillon at all - it looks more like a knock off of the Cal. 21. Not overly impressed.
    It seems to me that it's a caliber 21 with tourbillons inserted in place of the two balances. At $113,000 for the carbon case version and $141,000 for platinum it seems to buck the trend of offering high level complications at a more competitive price. For the money I'd go with the regular Defy EP 21. Of course it should be noted that you never see a tourbillon running at 360,000 vph, so this is pretty novel in that respect. A five second tourbillon makes a one minute version look quaint. Apparently Tag Heuer released a similar watch back in 2012.

Thread Information