Zenith NVSI Identifying

Thread: Zenith NVSI Identifying

Zenith NVSI Identifying

Hi Everybody
    I wanted to know about this watch.
    I can not determine if it is 12 NVSI or 13 (or something different.)
    When I measure the movement diameter it reads 28mm or just a little bit less, then it should be 12.4, (I don't know if a 12,4 "NVSI"exists , or may be a 12 NVSI?
    But the only movement that I've found with exactly the same screws position, is the 13 NVSI , (but my movement should be 29mm in that case, ok?)
    I have a table where it says my movement serial should be 1918, is that right?
    Is this a military watch? or just a luxury one for that age?
    Any help is welcome!
    Thanks
    Name:  VID_5964.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  833.7 KBName:  VID_5987.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  1.11 MBName:  VID_5980.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  979.3 KB

Re: Zenith NVSI Identifying

My list also date this movement to 1917/18. Of course it is not a military watch. Only on Ebay golden watches with a red 12 are miltary . The red 12 was simply fashion those days. To decide the size I'm not able. The style is "unisex" . I founf even smal ladys watches in a prospect out of the early the 30'tes (without a red 12 those days) and a 8 3/4 smal movement. Then the case is 19,74 mm in diameter. The biggest male watches with the 13''' movement are 29,58 mm in size. I only found in silver. In gold 10 1/2 , 11 or 12''' excist with 23,7 mm. But this was more than 10 years later so you've to measure on your own.

Regards Silke
    Last edited by SilkeN; August 6th, 2019 at 00:52.
    That's what I think about today:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlUGeY7MWVo

Quote Originally Posted by SilkeN View Post
    My list also date this movement to 1917/18. Of course it is not a military watch. Only on Ebay golden watches with a red 12 are miltary . The red 12 was simply fashion those days. To decide the size I'm not able. The style is "unisex" . I founf even smal ladys watches in aprospect out of the early the 30'tes (without a red 12 those days) and a 8 3/4 smal movement. Then the caseis 19,74 mm in diameter. The biggest male watches with the 13''' movement are 29,58 mm in size. I onlyfound in silver. In gold 10 1/2 , 11 or 12''' excist with 23,7 mm. But this was more than 10 yearslatero you've to measureon your own.

Regards Silke
    Thank you Silke!
    Then we agree with the year of manufacture, and it is not a military one.
    About the size I measured it with a gauge, but without taking the movement out, I will have to do it.
    But I fear it is between 12 and 12,5. and as far as I know there are no 12.4 NVSI movements. And comparing the screws layout in my movement, just the 13 NVSI has all the screws exactly in the same position. (The 12 NVSI is very similar but two screws have a bigger gap between each other in comparison with the 13 lignes)
    Let's see what happens with the movement out
    Kind regards

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

It is indeed a Cal. 13''' N.V.S.I: in those days, the movements had an extra rim on the base plate to hold the movement better in place when the watch was assembled. Effectively, the movement holder screws applied pressure from the back and the rim from the front so that the movement was clamped against the case. This rim is not visible from the back so the movement always looks a little smaller than it actually is. My Cal. 19''' N.V.S.I is 43.15mm but only looks ca. 41.5mm across. Look at the third picture in the link below, you can see the rim quite easily:

http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-...wk&Zenith_19_5

Nice watch!

Hartmut Richter

Love the cushion case, this must be an early example of this famous style.
    Vanitas vanitatum et omnia vanitas, praeter ...

I like that a lot

Dear Hartmut, Thanks a lot!
    It is very clear now with your explanation. because I measured it again and I couldn't find an explanation.
    But if it is a 13" NVSI it is what I suspected and the little difference in the diameter is this extra rim! Thank you a lot!

Quote Originally Posted by Hartmut Richter View Post
    It is indeed a Cal. 13''' N.V.S.I: in those days, the movements had an extra rim on the base plate to hold the movement better in place when the watch was assembled. Effectively, the movement holder screws applied pressure from the back and the rim from the front so that the movement was clamped against the case. This rim is not visible from the back so the movement always looks a little smaller than it actually is. My Cal. 19''' N.V.S.I is 43.15mm but only looks ca. 41.5mm across. Look at the third picture in the link below, you can see the rim quite easily:

bidfun-db Archiv: Uhrwerke: Zenith 19.5'''

Nice watch!

Hartmut Richter

Hi!, not only nice, I've found it incredible precise, just less than 10 seconds in a whole day without servicing it, really astonished

Thread Information