Zenith Rainbow tritium hands search
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By sharpq
  • 1 Post By sharpq
  • 1 Post By Hartmut Richter
  • 1 Post By sharpq

Thread: Zenith Rainbow tritium hands search

Hey all,

I have this Rainbow 02.0471.400. I believe the hands might be replacement ones during a service, in the past, as they seam to have less patina and glow a lot better. I'm sure I can go to my watchmaker and he'll be able to tell me if they're tritium or luminova. But, just in case I'm starting to look for an old set of tritium ones.

Anyone know where I can source a set?

Much appreciated, Todd
    Attached Images Attached Images

fskywalker likes this.

Zenith Rainbow tritium hands search

Nice Rainbow my 01.372.400 says hi

I think yours is actually a 02.472.400 based on rehaut and lume pip at bezel. Check this thread:

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app

Unless you find a watchmen with all stock, your only hope is probably the Zenith service center

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by fskywalker; May 1st, 2020 at 03:28.
    Francisco
    Ω 2504.52 / 168.022 / 2201.50 / 2232.30 / 231.90.39.21.04.001
    ♛ 16610 / 18239
    ★ 03.2150.400

Thanks for the info. I believe my model number stated is the correct one as that’s what’s on the warranty card, original receipt, and engraved on the case back. I read the thread you linked and saw he stated my case back number to be the mango ( could he be mistaken?) If you google the case number that I stated is on the back of my piece my exact watch is pictured and the mango! Weird!

Edit: maybe because it was bought in Japan and also was purchased in 2000 new (so probably One of the last produced if didn’t sit in a AD store for years)? The receipt shows 02.0471.400/21. When you google that whole model #, pics are all my watch and mainly Japanese sold

Here’s a thread with same issue and seems Zenith did use this model number on the case back in black dial, too.

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f27/he.../topics/465106
    Last edited by sharpq; 4 Weeks Ago at 06:57.
    fskywalker likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Re: Zenith Rainbow tritium hands search

I would have thought that it's easy to distinguish Superluminova from Tritium! Just keep it in the dark for a day or so and when it comes out, if there is a glow, it's Tritium, otherwise it's Superluminova. And if the hands don't match the dial in that respect, one or the other must be a replacement.

Hartmut Richter
    fskywalker likes this.

Re: Zenith Rainbow tritium hands search

Quote Originally Posted by sharpq View Post
    Thanks for the info. I believe my model number stated is the correct one as that’s what’s on the warranty card, original receipt, and engraved on the case back. I read the thread you linked and saw he stated my case back number to be the mango ( could he be mistaken?) If you google the case number that I stated is on the back of my piece my exact watch is pictured and the mango! Weird!

Edit: maybe because it was bought in Japan and also was purchased in 2000 new (so probably One of the last produced if didn’t sit in a AD store for years)? The receipt shows 02.0471.400/21. When you google that whole model #, pics are all my watch and mainly Japanese sold

Here’s a thread with same issue and seems Zenith did use this model number on the case back in black dial, too.

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f27/he.../topics/465106
    Well you may be right if your paperwork says that, but that is not. what catalogs seem to say. The problem with casebacks is that several models shared them, so probably the only way to know for sure would be by getting an extract of the archives from Zenith based on the serial number in the movement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Francisco
    Ω 2504.52 / 168.022 / 2201.50 / 2232.30 / 231.90.39.21.04.001
    ♛ 16610 / 18239
    ★ 03.2150.400

Quote Originally Posted by Hartmut Richter View Post
    I would have thought that it's easy to distinguish Superluminova from Tritium! Just keep it in the dark for a day or so and when it comes out, if there is a glow, it's Tritium, otherwise it's Superluminova. And if the hands don't match the dial in that respect, one or the other must be a replacement.

Hartmut Richter
    I pretty positive the hands are replacement luminova was just wishful thinking that they weren’t. Now have to decide to find old stock tritium hands or go ahead and send it across the pond to have the dial And hands relumed w/ the vintage patina dye, too. Or, I could just leave it alone, but the non matching dial patina to the hands bothers me!!
    Last edited by Hartmut Richter; 4 Weeks Ago at 13:16.
    fskywalker likes this.

Thread Information